Hello, Im new, considering a move to Canada

Hi there,
I am a mental health nurse with approx 10 years experience, considering a move to Canada as soon as i sort myself out with all the necessaries, a job, permit etc...

I have a daughter who is two, and would primarily make this move to ensure a better life and prospects for her. 
How long does it take?
What kind of salary am i looking at, and where best to head for?
What is the cost of living like, compared to the UK? House prices etc...

I have already requested registration packs for the various nurses registration bodies.  Is there anything else i need to do?

Anyone with any pointers or who has made this same decision, any tips?  or any warnings?

All info will be very much appreciated

In anticipation...

hi maimati
i work at a large paediatric rehab hospital in toronto and can give some insight into the state of health care in ontario. the health care sector on a whole has been hit by budget contraints. it will effect vacancies and salaries nevertheless, there are always jobs for nurses.

the largest mental health organization in toronto is camh (centre for addiction and mental health) and is very highly regarded. they do excellent work. check out their website (i would recommend applying directly to hospitals rather than using an agency) http://www.camh.net/

another large health care org is uhn (university health network) and represents several hospitals: www.uhn.ca

st mike's (st. michaels) is also excellent: www.stmichaelshospital.com

sunnybrook health sciences centre is excellent as well: www.sunnybrook.ca

as for salary...i'd guess maybe 70k and upward...but please don't hold me to that...you need to do some digging with the canadian nursing association etc.

the economy in alberta is strong and i'm told saskatchewan (a prairie province)is also booming. life down east (newfoundland and new brunswick etc) is lovely but i'm not sure of the job market.

hope the above is of some help.

feel free to pm me if you want.

cheers and good luck!

Thank you Suzie Que.

I have checked out the websites you mentioned.  very informative.  A great start, I had heard that Toronto and Ontario were expensive to live in though, but well worth considering.  A lot of the employee benefits listed, we dont get here in the UK, so thats a bonus.

Will keep searching and emailing the various organisations. 

Again, many thanks for your post.

:thanks::thanks: