Expats in Canada east coast

Hi there I am living in Canada New Brunswick for almost 5 year ..i am new to this site ..just was looking here and I decided to post this so I offer my help to any one who is relocating to Canada specially New Brunswick or east coast in General this where I lived in most times..I am an Engineer 34 male feel free to ask me any help I will happily do my beast assisting any one

Hi Oskar220,

Welcome to expat.com! :)

Thank you for offering your help.

Christine
Expat.com

Hi Oskar220,

Thanks for your contribution., it's very kindful of you.

I'm also in New-Brunswick, I've been here for almost 2 years and half .

I'm in Fredericton. which city are you living in?

How are things going on?

Abdel

Hi ABedl..I am in Saint John .at first things were nt very good but it didn't take me very long to adjust and cope with life here .am here for almost 5years now .am Canadian citizen got my first full time job in months and i had to go back to school to get my degree and now I have full time job as marine engineer.how things going with you??

Thanks Oskar220

oskar220 wrote:

at first things were nt very good but it didn't take me very long to adjust and cope with life here .

In deed, the beginning is always like that. But there are a lots of doors to knock before to step in the right one.
Things are good for me as well. it's my 13 years (stayed before in Montreal, then Ottawa). Job call me here in New-Brunswick, and I am making my self and my wife familiarizing with the area . We still feel we want to discover many parts of this province...

Keep in touch

Abdel

Hi Oskar, I am based in Halifax. in my 8th year now.

philipyeo wrote:

Hi Oskar, I am based in Halifax. in my 8th year now.

cool where you from originally and what you do ?

hi Abdel..
As you say you were in Montreal before ..how different is it there .I mean in big cities compared to the mariitimes..where do you prefer to live if you got a choice...
I am thinking about moving to Toronto but just don't know how it is gonna be as I am in kinda low population small city here in Saint John NB

Not impossible, but it is practically difficult to get a job outside canada, because I have tried many times but all my efforts proved abortive.
Canada is my dream country and I would be glad to get some real time information on how to relocate to Canada and get a job. I am a Nigerian, living in an island of Mauritius...
I am a cook, a chef, who has worked in some great hotels.
Really would love to experience rhe Canadian environment and add more to my career.
Thanks..

Hi Oskar220,
Nice to know that you have settled well. I would like to know if you have been to Nova Scotia and how is life there in terms of housing cost, cost of living, leisure activities, weather conditions,  job prospects, etc.

Hope to hear from you or any other members on this forum from east coast, more specifically Nova Scotia.

cheers,

Kmove.

Hello Oskar220,
I'm back to answer your questions.

oskar220 wrote:

As you say you were in Montreal before ..how different is it there .I mean in big cities compared to the mariitimes..

Honestly, we can not compare life in a “megalopole city” like Montreal with cities in New-Brunswick.
Montreal has a lot of population, a lot of roads, a lot of social activities, sport activities, … as well as a lot of crime (of course comparing to Maritime cities), a lot of services with long line ups , a lots of education institutions , and as we say “ big cities big problems” !
Cities in maritime, are small (example in New-Brunswick the biggest one Moncton has Population of 138,644 (Greater Moncton)); there are few social-cultural activities, even fewer sport activities, people are very friendly, the landscape (nature) is outstanding, the employment rate is mostly close to 10%, some universities programs are not offered in many cities….etc.

As you can see, there is no much to compare. Generally it's a question of choice: to live in a  city/province  with all its cons and pros .

oskar220 wrote:

where do you prefer to live if you got a choice...

I would choose Ottawa. I gave my opinion (and reasons) in many topics in the forum. If you do a research with my nickname  + Ottawa, you will find some of them.

oskar220 wrote:

I am thinking about moving to Toronto but just don't know how it is gonna be

If you can at first find a job with a salary at least over 60k$ it could be good, since the cost of life in this big “megalopole city” is higher.

I'll leave the Expatblogs member who live in Toronto give you better view.

Good luck.

Hi all,

I'm very happy to find this topic because I ask to myself a lot of question.

It's very friendly to help peoples.

My wife, me and our 4 childrens are determinated to move in Canada.

We have a big attraction for the New Brunswick.

All the cities look good but for the moment we look for Dieppe, Edmunston or Barthrust

My question is about jobs, I find there isn't a lot of ads on the web.

I ask the reason at a immigration agent who answer : it's because jobs ads are more in a physical way in NB.

Could you tell me if there are jobs in these cities ? When I see the unemployement rates, I feel a little bit afraid.

I'm an accountant, French is my mother tongue and I have to work my English (like you read lol)
If I can find a job who mix office work and customre relationship, I'll be very happy

I'm very interested by advices and exchanges.

I plan to come 10 days for visiting the cities.

Have a good day

Davvdc wrote:

Hi all,

I'm very happy to find this topic because I ask to myself a lot of question.

It's very friendly to help peoples.

My wife, me and our 4 childrens are determinated to move in Canada.

We have a big attraction for the New Brunswick.

All the cities look good but for the moment we look for Dieppe, Edmunston or Barthrust

My question is about jobs, I find there isn't a lot of ads on the web.

I ask the reason at a immigration agent who answer : it's because jobs ads are more in a physical way in NB.

Could you tell me if there are jobs in these cities ? When I see the unemployement rates, I feel a little bit afraid.

I'm an accountant, French is my mother tongue and I have to work my English (like you read lol)
If I can find a job who mix office work and customre relationship, I'll be very happy

I'm very interested by advices and exchanges.

I plan to come 10 days for visiting the cities.

Have a good day

You are not wrong. Unemployment is bad in that area. Sad to say. Which explains the fact that the job ads online don't have much to show. And to be fair, being in the accounting trade - quite unfortunately means theren't as many jobs available particularly in the places you have expressed interest to go to. You stand a better chance to find one in larger cities.

I understand the lure to smaller and quaint cities but the fact remains that there aren't as many jobs available there. Now if you are self employed or your employer couldn't care less where you are located, then you will technically escape the need to be physically close to where you work. I have heard of a couple people who are fortunate enough to land a job such as that, but there are typically not in the accounting trade. Mostly in sales or in IT related ones.