What is your idea of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?

I hear it's good for the heart!  OR something like that!

yes.. something a little lower  ;)

What I like about living in KSA is that you are exposed to a forum such as this one with viewpoints and phrases from many different nationalities...

For example,I am not permitted to talk to a Saudi male in the mall but I have a chance to get pearls of wisdom from Salman, I can enjoy the foreign humour between Nonz and Shahab and I can laugh at the girl from NJ who says Badda Bing :lol:
and being  Greek Australian I've been around many 'Badda Bing'
characters!

Badda BOOM!

(btw, I don't really say that. I was quoting The Sopranos! lol)

looking forward to it you people :lol:

a little silly yet interesting video: Click right here.

Salman Omrani wrote:

a little silly yet interesting video: Click right here.

Salman this was so funny and so tragic at the same time!
:lol::/

That area of Melbourne is one of the most intellectually challenged places on the globe

What is Ramadan? Ís that like a papadam?

I thought the guys who made it did a fantastic job...even though it highlighted the rednecks that live in my corner of the world

Check this one out too. Makes one speechless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE

Very body knows what is saudia arabia,even if they never step in it....this country very well known to the glob ...and to the slave working in saudia arabi(every body in saudia is a slave to saudi)...in shallah oil will dry up...so saudia will work for indonisian and banglai and philipino....Allah is able to do every thing.

every body in saudia is a slave to saudi

I don't consider myself a slave; if it ever comes to that, trust me, I'm gone!

. Yes I trusted what you saying, and I feel you are not in big  need to be there, any minute you are ready to leave, but some people is in need ,and that is hard ,so they will take the consequences.
Indonesian or Pilipino maid feeding Saudi children 16 hours  a day 365 day a year with no rest  for 600 Riyal ,and who know who feed there's own babies back home.

Hi amman,

there is some truth to what you say about how rough it is for maids, and even labors from other countries, probably the majority from asian countries. but slavery was banned in the sixties, if your being treadted as a slave you should report it to the authorities.

you see every country has its rules and the way they want things to work. yes there are many rules that rotate around the "sponser" and on, but I'd call it restrictions of some sort, and just like Allie said, if we felt we were slaves we'd be long gone. we are coming here out of choice, if one needs to leave home for work, why not singapor, australia japan the states europ or where ever else you want in this globe? people choose saudi for reasons that are known to them alone. niether I nor you are here to judge.

furthermore there are laws and regulations that protect labors and workpeople alike. if they dont report the abuse then thats thier choice. many dont because even themselfs are doing something illegal in some way, so they take the sponsers abuse instead of the Gov's penalty.

the maids being 600 sar per month, well becuase it is they want to feed thier own babies that they accept the conditions to come work here in the first place. and alike many labors they take there vacation every two years for a couple of months. if your a company employee you get one month max per year. so wouldn't you call the equal? I'm not trying to say they live in heaven either. but its thier choice.

and I dont respect people who wish destruction for those whom one works for and earns from. its like biting the hand given to help. if a person hates a nation that much, one should not live with them.

I'm sure you would have comments to reply with, but I hope you do your homework well. think twice before you post, not everyone claps when you boo people from behind curtians behind thier backs.

Yours Truly,

Salman

Saudi Arabia is nice country but it's too hot

yes... veeeeeeeeeeeeeery hot. I hope everyone is enjoying the "cool" heat these days :P

Salman

its amazing that the temps in the North Western region of India these days is also hitting 48 to 50 C mainly because the monsoon has not arrived yet

global warming at its best.

I am looking forward to the day that i can live my life in KSA..insha allah. I am tired of how dissrespectful men are in canada, the lifestyle. I find comfort in living in a society such as this..as a woman i really dont like attention, I am not here for men to stare at and make comments too, the only things i find flattering is what my husband would say to me. I feel as if iwant to hide from this world a little.I love the society and couldnt think of anywhere else i would rather be. My only worry is the heat!!!wow..lol

Men do no have to live in Canada to be disrespectful. They are found everywhere. Everything depends on how one manages himself/herself within the context of his environment and community.

Matiess,

I think you're over-romanticizing Saudi Arabia (have you ever even been here?).

I agree with Musicman.  Plenty of respectful men everywhere--plenty of disrespectful men everywhere. 

If you don't want anybody to look at you in Canada, it's simple: cover your hair; don't wear makeup;  purchase baggy, oversized clothing so you have no shape.  Trust me, nobody will give you a second glance (well, not in that way) lol

actually i do kinda..i cover, not much makeup..but i am not a slob...yes i agree i am probably romantizing KSA..true..and yes good men are hard to find..anywhere. havent you ever lived somewhere and knew that that is not where you want to be and have another place "call you"..i cant explain other than everything that i am is telling me that is where i need to be..

i cant keep my eyes off ur pic! lol...
jokes apart, good men are not hard to find

lol..almost every man will say that..and every man assumes that they are a great find..lol.true, you have to agree with that one

there are some but not alot...and i have truely been blessed

Goodness is relative no different from good ole Alberts theory. Whats good nfor the eagle may not necessarily be good for the gander?

Relationships and emotions are based on personal choice combined with the experiences that follow. Marriages are never msade in Heaven. Not even on the ground. Just in the hearts and minds of humans. You make some, you break some. You move on!

Its not the end nof the world when a relationship goes down the tuves. Dont forget we have more than 6b folks to choose from.

havent you ever lived somewhere and knew that that is not where you want to be and have another place "call you"..

Yes, I do know exactly what you're saying (although Saudi Arabia sure isn't the place calling me lol).

I'll be more interested in how you feel about it after you've lived here a couple years, though ;)

Don't get me wrong--there's lots of things I like here but don't remanticize this place; ie. there's plenty I don't like, as well.

Musicman...sounds like you have never truely found that one you could call you soul mate..that one person that you would give up your life in order to save theirs...a bit cold...your protective, walls can be high and almost impossible to get threw...its ok..i have been there

My personality is dinamtic and i always look on the brighter things in life..very positive..not always but try(not hyper air-head)..but look at good things not bad...insha allah i will find out what its like

Amongst 6 billion people on the planet how can you ever tell who will be better than what you already possess. Contentment is choice. But quality is out there anywhere you look for it. You gotta be real.

A soul mate is one whom you choose to be. Does not mean that there may be plenty others floating around as long as you makde up your mind to make that choice.

We are not living in paperbacks, soap operas or hollywood. Come down to reality, please...

i agree with some..we choose our mates..but my friend i dont live in a fantasy world..sheltered and untouched...i lived threw nightmares and have seen miracles...my life never been easy and truely hard tests, but i do not sit and place blame nor try to be negativitly effected by things..take lessons that are meant to be learned..i choose to live to the fullest.

there is something amazing at the end of this

ok ok, Matiess.. Welcome to ExpatBlog and hopefuly KSA soon. (insha Allah)

now musicman and matiess, dont hijack my thread please. lol.

I will agree to both of you.. deal? now lets get back to talking about the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia? :lol:

Allie, so where is your calling.. calling from?

Allie, so where is your calling.. calling from?

I'd love to tell you--but that would be hijacking your thread :P

lol

:rolleyes:

Hello Friends,

I read most of your comments but I think we have to understand that the Saudi people have their special culture most of it coming from ISLAMIC LAW. This culture not must to be as western or eastern culture to be nice or cool. we have to respect it as it is because it's a choice for 25 million people. I really understand that the american or western and other nationality cannot naturalize easily in this culture but they have not judge it as fogey culture.

I'm Saudi and I believe our culture is little hard to understand from other against the western but it is good opportunity to say the Arabic mentality based on jealousy, generosity, boldness and piety. For this maybe you will have some questions regarding the women issues but in general our people are kind and polity except the Young men who are having TAFHEET in their cars lool.

Thanks for commenting Methanol. :) and welcome to Expat.com.

But' I'd like to correct your comment in capitals. the Saudi special culture is slightly coming from islamic law, but not mostly. mostly would be tradition. we can agree to disagree or we can debate. lol.

Salman

Thanks salman but you know it is difficult to identify the difference between the culture and the costumes and which is finding other. or who coming first. like egg and chicken who coming first. anyhow, I think because of saudi arabia in last ten years was focused, it is now in progress to be one of best economical countries in the world and that need more opening on others.

Culture emanates from the way of life of people who have lived as groups and communities in various parts of the globe. Wiki defines one aspect of culture pertinent to this topic, as, "The set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes an institution, organization or group". The word itself originates from the Latin word "cultura" which means "to cultivate", or in other words, "to grow".

The fact that religion, philosophies, external influences, Colonialsim, Imperialism, and external influences do have an impact on culture cannot be denied. However, one cannot blame these entities for all the negative and "harmful" or "inhuman", as some may choose to define, aspects of cultures.

There are cultures, still prevailing on the planet, where the wife has to jump into the funeral pyre of her deceased husband as she becomes ostracized in the society she lives in and serves no purpose anymore to them. Then there ae honor killins we see across the divide, still going on, even in this time and age.

Eskimos are supposed to have been practising spousal exchanges and even offering their wives to guests as a part of their culture.

Polygamy hs been a part of human activity and behaviour long before Islam and most communities on the planet have practised it officially at some point of time.

Hence, we cannot simply point fingers and blame a specific belief system, religion, philosophy, or thought just because these practices do not conform to our cultures or ways of thinking.

Its always good to sit down and review these cultures and try to understand how, when, where and why they came to be and are still persistent.

Wow that list of compounds is great. I wonder if you guys have one for Jeddah Compounds.

Thanx

I'll ask a friend, but dont hold you rbreath on that. :D

Salman

Hi All,

Yes of course its all about your personal experience and view.

I think we need to observe the reallity.

It also depends on meeting the right people and living in the right place. If you read stories you will see that clearly. I know lots of expats are enjoying their stay because they found the right compound, met the right people, and you also should expect the unexpected :p

The right people do not fall from the sky. You have to seek them out....

I like life in Riyadh. It is different but so interesting, every day I learn something new. This is a place full of contrasts and contradictions, very exciting, overwhelming and interesting. I think there is not any other place in the world like Saudi Arabia. :)

Hey Eys, indeed! theres no place like Saudi Arabia