Moving to Jeddah SOON!

Hello, I am new here (:
I am from Lebanon, female 22 years old and I want to move to Jeddah to teach in an international school.
I will be moving alone and I would like to know if there are any females - teachers here? anyone from Lebanon?
How is life in Jeddah for a single female?

The school is offering me 5500 SAR per month, tickets, insurance, and housing, + transportation.
The housing is shared, so instead of the school housing I can ask for housing allowance which is 17,000 per year.
Do you think it is a good offer? will I be able to make some savings?

Any help would be truly appreciated!

Thanks.

Looking forward to meet new friends!

Hello tatty ,

Welcome to the form

well i think its a good offer for a single female,
and u can make some savings, depends on your spending of course :|

best of luck .. :)

It would be a crap offer for a Westerner but for an Arab, I don't know.

Also, be careful about the 'housing allowance.'  Usually sponsors here won't allow a single female to live on her own because they are considered your legal guardians in lieu of a husband or father--you HAVE to take their accommodations (and I fully agree with you about the roommate thing--that can end up being a freakin' nightmare).

Good luck.

Alliecat wrote:

It would be a crap offer for a Westerner but for an Arab, I don't know.

Also, be careful about the 'housing allowance.'  Usually sponsors here won't allow a single female to live on her own because they are considered your legal guardians in lieu of a husband or father--you HAVE to take their accommodations (and I fully agree with you about the roommate thing--that can end up being a freakin' nightmare).

Good luck.

:top:

I think they dun allow single lady in Ksa until unless she provide her Mahram do they? anyway as far as concern of offer sounds good would recon you should adjust with roommates for the time being, once you get familiar to the atm so u could move any where.

all the best.

Thanks all for your generous replies.
They suggest that I could take the housing allowance and rent a flat with one flat-mate (someone I choose). It means that I can not live alone.
And the school apartment sounds awful because it has a min. of 3 bedrooms; that means I might end up sharing the apartment with 2-3 teachers which is really unbearable. Right? I do not know how teachers manage to live in the same apartment that has only 2 bathrooms and one kitchen. Is it normal? For me it sounds like prison; where probably i will have to wait for my turn. I am confused!

Best is to have your own accomodation outside and share it. Your base salary is enough (monthwise) but again your major savings will come from the accomodation share. A typical two bedroom flat without furniture would cost you annually SAR25-30,000. Someplace you might need to pay upfront before the lease keep it in mind. You will need to share this accomodation with someone to lock in your savings in the housing allowance you get.

Spend what is left after saving and not the other way on your salary.

But do remember what Alliecat said above about accomo. As a single lady, you can't go ahead, hunt and get an apartment on lease on your own. Your mehrem (and company) can.

I guess I will accept the apartment offered by the school; at least it is furnished and they would be responsible for maintenance and such things. Right? They confirmed that I will have to share with only 2 teachers.
Do you have an idea about the average amount of money needed monthly?
To cover for example Electricity; internet expenses; food stuff... Basic needs.
One more question please; while I am there can I do Hajj or Ummrah? Do I need to get iqama first or the employment visa would be okay.
And how many hours is Jeddah far from Makkah.

Average is a tough question. Keep in mind utility would not cost you much. i would say SAR 1000 would be more than enough depending you eat one meal outside a day. If you are planning to travel between work and office on a cab add another 700 there.

You can perform hajj and umrah once you have an iqama. I would not suggest travelling alot in the kingdom without your iqama. however I might be wrong. So wait till you get the Iqama.

Hope this helps.

tatty moula wrote:

One more question please; while I am there can I do Hajj or Ummrah? Do I need to get iqama first or the employment visa would be okay.
And how many hours is Jeddah far from Makkah.

:) Employment visa is the first step and getting iqama is the second. There is no 1st step without the 2nd; and the 2nd step can't happen without 1st.

You'll land and in 15 days or less, you'll get the iqama. Then you are free to travel anywhere in KSA.

Mecca is hardly one hour drive from Jeddah. You can go on ALL weekends if you like.

Thanks guys.
And the school will provide transportation which is a relief.
Yeah I know I can not have iqana without employment visa.

If I get the iqama can I go to hajj or ummrah without mahrem??? Are there any steps or procedures??????? So anyone living in ksa can do hajj and unnrah???

Yes if you have the Iqama you can perform umrah as many times you like without a Mahrem.

Regarding the Hajj, You are allowed to perform it once every 5 years with a Mahram. This is the legal restriction.

However it is a common thing you will see people performing hajj every year and I have even seen ladies performing without a Mehram. This however is not legal. Depends on the person.

The procedures are fairly simple if you do everything legally.

Hope this helps.

Thanks agent47

Hello guys! I was wondering what are the medical tests required for getting iqama, should it be done after or before arriving to KSA
Whats the cost
Are these tests usually covered by the school/company???
Thanks

tatty moula wrote:

Hello guys! I was wondering what are the medical tests required for getting iqama, should it be done after or before arriving to KSA
Whats the cost
Are these tests usually covered by the school/company???
Thanks

Usually, all these costs are covered by the Sponsor (school/company). You may check with the school for your satisfaction.

THANKS
The reason I asked about this because the school told me I have to do the medical tests in Lebanon before I come to KSA and I will have to pay for it. It is strange? Isnot it? I guess it is a lame school. I better refuse their offer.

You know what  I really donot know what else I might be responsible for. So far I have to pay for the medical tests, + 40% of insurance, + regarding the recruitment fees I have to pay 100% of the fees because the school will pay nothing. The schools usually pay 50% right? + I have to share the flat with 2 other teachers, the flat is provided by the schhol but still we as teachers have to pay for electricity, water, and other expenses, they will take one third of my salary for the first three months and return it after I finish the contract, is it normal?? +long working days...

Help me please!!! Shall I accept or refuse the offer... Will I be able to find a better one?

tatty moula wrote:

THANKS
The reason I asked about this because the school told me I have to do the medical tests in Lebanon before I come to KSA and I will have to pay for it. It is strange? Isnot it? I guess it is a lame school. I better refuse their offer.

You know what  I really donot know what else I might be responsible for. So far I have to pay for the medical tests, + 40% of insurance, + regarding the recruitment fees I have to pay 100% of the fees because the school will pay nothing. The schools usually pay 50% right? + I have to share the flat with 2 other teachers, the flat is provided by the schhol but still we as teachers have to pay for electricity, water, and other expenses, they will take one third of my salary for the first three months and return it after I finish the contract, is it normal?? +long working days...

Help me please!!! Shall I accept or refuse the offer... Will I be able to find a better one?

WOW.  This is pretty bad, in my opinion.  For Western teachers, we have the medical testing done at home but our sponsor pays back all of our expenses once we arrive.  After we arrive, they also do a chest x-ray, blood tests but the sponsor pays.

I get 100% medical paid for, I've NEVER heard of the teacher paying the recruiting fee (!!!!!!) and I've never heard of teachers paying for utilities.

Now bear in mind, I'm talking about Western teachers working at the university level.  If you're working, as an Arab, for a Saudi primary or secondary school, what you're saying might be the norm.

You need to think this out carefully.  Are you coming here to save money?  Will you be able to do so given the salary and expenses?  And remember--living here is NO picnic.  You most probably won't enjoy yourself socially because it's so strict and your roommates/fellow teachers will be your only network of friends so it could be quite lonely. 

But if a year here will free you from financial debt and you are a strong, independent type, I say go for it!  One thing to remember:  You have to work for your initial employer for two years before you can change jobs.

Alliecat wrote:

One thing to remember:  You have to work for your initial employer for two years before you can change jobs.

Rule changed to One year.

TheLegendLeads wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

One thing to remember:  You have to work for your initial employer for two years before you can change jobs.

Rule changed to One year.

HOLY ****!  That rule was just changed to TWO years (from one) a couple years ago (just as Aramco approached me for a job but, finding out I'd only had one year with my current employer, dropped me from consideration since the new law specified two :mad:)

So now it's back to one?!?

That's unfortunate.

Last week someone told me that the rule had been revoked. I dropped by my HR Manager who corrected that it had been changed so. And that happened 3-4 months back :(

TheLegendLeads wrote:

That's unfortunate.

Last week someone told me that the rule had been revoked. I dropped by my HR Manager who corrected that it had been changed so. And that happened 3-4 months back :(

Typical :lol:  Laws are made .. then re-throught (because all the implications weren't thought through first).. and then revoked!

As we so often say, the only thing you can be sure of in Saudi Arabia is that you can't be sure of anything!

Wow, one year ? So does it mean that even if we have a contract for two years, we can change jobs on completion of one year? That is a good news. :)

I suggest we move the change in law topic to a seperate thread of its own. Alot of people will be surprised to hear this news.

Thanks.

agent47 wrote:

I suggest we move the change in law topic to a seperate thread of its own. Alot of people will be surprised to hear this news.

Thanks.

By the time we do that, the law will change again :whistle:

Hehheee nice one thelegendleads lol....

Agent 47 is Hitman ?
http://tbreak.com/megamers/files/206350-agent47.jpg

ghanshyampdave wrote:

Agent 47 is Hitman ?

No, Hitman is actually Agent47 :lol:

Sounds a bit like slave labor.  Western teachers that I know do not have to go through such procedures.
1.  Yes you must do medicals twice once in your home country for visa and again here for Iquama.  Usually you pay in your home country and are reimbursed once you arrive.
2.   Legally the employer has to pay for health insurance.  You paying 40% sounds wrong.
3.   I suggest you go straight to the various schools and apply as there is a need for teachers and bipass the recruitment fees unless the employer is willing to pay for them 100%.   I do not believe in employees paying recruitment fees.
4.  Taking one third of your salary and giving to you at the end is pure crap.  I would not accept.
5.  Electric and water are not high ticket items so I would not worry not argue this point.
I would consider it carefully as there are many new schools and opportunities in KSA for Teachers. 

tatty moula wrote:

THANKS

TheLegendLeads wrote:
ghanshyampdave wrote:

Agent 47 is Hitman ?

No, Hitman is actually Agent47 :lol:

Yep! Hitman is actually Agent 47.

I checked with my HR muakib in my Company. He said the law was not changed for expatriates to work under their new sponsors for 2 years initially.

TheLegendLeads where did you read this?

I didn't read it. I got it confirmed from a person whose life is all about that :)

TheLegendLeads wrote:

TheLegendLeads wrote:

I didn't read it. I got it confirmed from a person whose life is all about that :)

TheLegendLeads wrote:

Yep, as usual, confusion!!

Alon Injed wrote:

Sounds a bit like slave labor.  Western teachers that I know do not have to go through such procedures.
1.  Yes you must do medicals twice once in your home country for visa and again here for Iquama.  Usually you pay in your home country and are reimbursed once you arrive.
2.   Legally the employer has to pay for health insurance.  You paying 40% sounds wrong.
3.   I suggest you go straight to the various schools and apply as there is a need for teachers and bipass the recruitment fees unless the employer is willing to pay for them 100%.   I do not believe in employees paying recruitment fees.
4.  Taking one third of your salary and giving to you at the end is pure crap.  I would not accept.
5.  Electric and water are not high ticket items so I would not worry not argue this point.
I would consider it carefully as there are many new schools and opportunities in KSA

Thanks a lot! I guess you are right. I am applying online, but I think applying online won't help thats why I sent my CV to the recruiting agency. And unfortunately this school won't pay a penny for the agency. I hope I will find a better offer soon.
Thanks.

What is the difference between Jeddah and Riyadh weather?? Which is cooler?
I have a new offer in Riyadh but people say life is better in Jeddah. What do you think?

If yuo had a choice, pick jeddah.

tatty moula wrote:

What is the difference between Jeddah and Riyadh weather?? Which is cooler?
I have a new offer in Riyadh but people say life is better in Jeddah. What do you think?

Life in general is better in Jeddah & even weather.

Something interesting: Although Riyadh has been the official capital of KSA, a lot from royal families (including the late king) used to move to their Jeddah palaces during summer.

jeddah is awesome. i loved it

Why is Jeddah better? Won't I be able to survive in Riyadh????

I've spent time in both cities. Jeddah is a bit laid back relaxed place with the beach and its infamous resorts, diving, snorkelling, shisha cafes, nice restaurants, variety of food, malls etc. I forgot Al Baik (a famous local fried chicken eatery). Along with close proximity to Mecca. Moderate weather.

Riyadh on the other hand has similar malls, restaurants, variety of food etc. Weather is cooler in Riyadh during winter. It is however limited in terms of a nightlife unless you are a shopaholic. Not much to do and life outside an expat compound can be a bit dull. However once you are in a compound you can experience a decent socialable post work night hours. I forgot to mention that there are weekly gatherings and hash races which are very interesting and a good opportunity to socialize.

I currently live in Jeddah:) It is fun. And the above are my opinions and views. no offence to no one.

Hope this helps.