I've been waiting...

... To be able to write this!  The job offer finally came through.  It looks like I'll be inbound to Jeddah very soon.  Just have to tie up a few loose ends with the old job first. If the company has their way I should be in the Kingdom sometime in February.   I'm very excited to arrive and get to work.  I'm not sure where my family and I will be living but we're all excited to begin this new stage of our lives.  Coming from the US (where it's currently 11 degrees F) to Jeddah will be a real eye opener.   Looking forward to making some new friends.  See you soon!

Friend. Unless you are going to live in a nice COMPOUND dont come to KSA, i am from USA and with Arab nationallity and it really sucks.. Very expensive to do anything and the laws are getting worse.  Goto Dubai or Qatar much better.
You will regret coming to KSA...

Thank you, friend, but my company already has my compound accommodation for my family secured.  I appreciate your concern but this is not my first experience outside the borders of the US.  Trust me, there are many many places around the globe that "suck" so much more than KSA. I believe expat life is what you make it.  I wish you the best in finding someplace you like to be.

MHAA wrote:

i am from USA and with Arab nationallity and it really sucks.. Very expensive to do anything and the laws are getting worse.  Goto Dubai or Qatar much better.
You will regret coming to KSA...

Rigger64 wrote:

.  Trust me, there are many many places around the globe that "suck" so much more than KSA. I believe expat life is what you make it.

I truly agree with @ Rigger.. Expat life is what you make it..

@MHAA.. I don't think people would regret coming to KSA.. & if so, the Kingdom does not hold any one back.. They are free to leave at will ... working here for most part of our lives and then commenting bad about KSA.. does not look good..

These are my thought's and not everyone would & should agree..

Thanks, AWL (Hope you don't mind the abbreviation)!

I've lived and worked in so many countries that I've truly found that even those places that seem the most unlikeable often have little gems of hope that redeem them.  To me, what makes the difference is a willingness to get out and experience the people, the culture.  For the most part a smile and act of kindness can do wonders to overcome any cultural or societal barrier.  Living in the Kingdom will have its challenges for my family but we are facing those challenges head on. 

Rigger

The only thing I would say is if your kids are school age start having your wife look into schools now. Registration for next fall is around March. Most schools require an interview with the child (even my 4 year old had one) so if you think your family won't be in Jeddah until this summer be sure to have them come out for a quick visit to look at schools.

You won't be able to go into an abaya shop & your wife will definitely need one while here. When she arrives she either has to be in long pants & long sleeves or have her order an abaya online. I got my first one through Amazon for cheap. Once she is here they are cheaper to buy at the souqs.

I wish your family good luck on this move. It has definitely been easier on my 2 kids and husband then on me, but being an independent female used to doing most things for myself it has been a huge change. Especially since I can't drive (my biggest pet peeve).

SM, Much appreciated.  My wife is a teacher and we're in communication with several of the Int'l schools about a position for her.  We do want our daughter to go wherever mom is teaching.   We actually have some friends in Jeddah whose daughter goes to AISJ and its one that my wife is talking to.   Maybe we can work something out for the family to visit in March (i'm not sure when Spring break is this year and/or if they have a Spring break in SA) (OR if they have a SPRING!!  LOL  :/ )

My wife has several Muslim students who are helping her with her first abaya and she's also found some on Amazon.  Do they have to be black?  She's seen some beautiful colored ones that she likes.

Once again, thanks for your input about the schools.  That is going to be very important for us.  I need to talk to momma about travel plans, huh?

Rigger

When in Jeddah the abaya doesn't have to be black. Most still where black, but not everyone does or if they are black many have detailing on them. BUT if you plan on going anywhere else in SA even for a visit make sure she has an all black one.

Thank you, ma'am.  I'll pass that along!

I think my wife has an account on here.  She may reach out to you with questions, if you don't mind...

Rigger

No problem.

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom. Acworth  Ga? I am from Gainesville Ga.  Enjoy.

Not quite there yet, Gainesville.  Looking at first week in February.

Jeddah is one of the better locations in KSA. I like Jubail best. The Red Sea is one of my favorite places to visit in KSA.

RowdyRoo wrote:

I like Jubail best.

What best about Jubail ? pls. let me know.. since I'm new to Jubail.. I'll be there to see it in person.. As far as i know "Fanateer" is a good beach.. any other places.. :/

The people and the food compared to Qassim.

Ideally, how long was the job offer from the time you had your final interview? And when you finally got your offer, what was your next step? Been waiting for my offer though the agent informed me that it was already had the approval and awaiting rhe signature of themanaging director.  This is for a job in Jubail...hope everything will be ok by Feb..same with you, very eager to work and experience another chapter in life.

(OR if they have a SPRING!!  LOL  :/ )

Be prepared to leave all winter clothes behind. January is almost over and am still waiting for a winter  :cool:

Hey man Wellcome, people with good and positive thoughts make the sourroundings beautiful and healthy. I like your what u expressed positively about living in KSA or elsewhere as an expat. I guarantee u will really feel safe and good here unpon getting inbound to KSA. The community is not that bad. I am an expat in KSA, living in jeddah since 2000. Here its very safe, very less crimes and very few ways of getting exposed to bad habbits. Well come bro.

BTW, no need to buy an abaya from amazon or not necessary to wear it b4 landing in Jeddah. After landing in jeddah, u may make a first visit on very first evening to any nearest shopping center and choose yourself your abaya. While entering in KSA at the airport just cover your hairs with some scarf and do not wear very tight revealing cloths. Thats it! Not to worry jeddah is much liberal than other cities in KSA. Wellcome.

emil.esclabanan wrote:

Ideally, how long was the job offer from the time you had your final interview? And when you finally got your offer, what was your next step? Been waiting for my offer though the agent informed me that it was already had the approval and awaiting rhe signature of themanaging director.  This is for a job in Jubail...hope everything will be ok by Feb..same with you, very eager to work and experience another chapter in life.

Emil, our experiences seem similar. My process went something like this.   First initial contact was through professional recruiter in mid-August.  I provided my CV and accomplishments and the company liked what they saw.  I have a Masters degree and many years of global experience in the area(s) they need.  Then went into 3-4 month holding pattern.  Late 2013 the phone calls started and I talked to the VP and 2 different directors.   Offer came first week in January 2014 and I had very little to negotiate.  Because they want me on board ASAP I will come into Jeddah initially on contract and company will take me to Ministry in Riyadh to work Iqama directly with the Ministry and get my permanent status.  It helps that company is still mostly owned by the royal family.  My family should follow at the end of my wife's current teaching contract here in the US.

So...to answer your question, the job offer was made verbally during the final interview.  They had already sent me the job description and asked me to make changes and/or additions as needed.  Once the offer came the next step was to receive the hard copy offer and wait on travel arrangements to be made.

Looking forward to February.

Rigger

aejaz30 wrote:

Hey man Wellcome, people with good and positive thoughts make the sourroundings beautiful and healthy. I like your what u expressed positively about living in KSA or elsewhere as an expat. I guarantee u will really feel safe and good here unpon getting inbound to KSA. The community is not that bad. I am an expat in KSA, living in jeddah since 2000. Here its very safe, very less crimes and very few ways of getting exposed to bad habbits. Well come bro.

These are the kinds of things I need to hear.  I know it won't be perfect (this is the first time my family will be traveling with me) but we are all keeping a positive outlook.   I can only hope and pray that my family and I like it enough to stay for 10 years.  That would put my youngest right at high school graduation time and I can see my wife wanting to be back in the States or wherever College may be.

mzak wrote:

(OR if they have a SPRING!!  LOL  :/ )

Be prepared to leave all winter clothes behind. January is almost over and am still waiting for a winter  :cool:

Well, if I leave "all  winter clothes behind" I've just cut my clothes by 2/3's - and made for a much lighter baggage load...LOL   :top:   But...if we at least bring one set of winter clothes it will save on buying when we go home for the holidays or visit somewhere not so blessed with sunshine.

Good luck!

Welcome to Saudi Arabia. Wishing you good luck n all the best

prakashbmdr wrote:

Welcome to Saudi Arabia. Wishing you good luck n all the best

Thank you very kindly for your warm wishes.

Rigger

Hi there. I am a manager in a new restaurant in Tahliya st.
Some tips :
Register with the embassy. There are lots of parties.
Your shorts should be bermudas. Anything shorter will attract a lot of stares. My rugby and hiking shorts are a definite no-no.
As a single man I live in and among the locals. I prefer that to the more "sterile", but comfortable for a woman, atmosphere of a compound.
A multiple re-entry visa can be acquired for about 500 riyals. It is essential to be able to disappear from time to time. I need to go and see my girlfriend in Dubai.
If you want to rent a car, as a resident (someone who has an Iqama), you need a Saudi licence. Just take your own licence to the gov dept, fill in the forms, pay the nominal fee and wait a couple of hours. Hey presto..you're done.
Was diving yesterday,  before I went to work. There's great diving here. If you are interested,  by all means let me know. I saw saudi women diving yesterday in their abayas!
There are private beaches on the Obhur road that your wife can wear a bikini. It's just like Europe or the US. The difference is that you pay an entry fee. You can also get an annual membership.
Your compound should have a pool, social club etc
There should be plenty of people who will be able to supply you with (often quite reasonable) home made wine and beer.
Do not take pictures of any official buildings or palaces. You will be arrested. It took a lot of string pulling to get one of our guys out of jail.
Eh...that's all that I can think of that nobody else talked about.
You have a positive attitude. You will be fine. Good luck and enjoy looking for the tiny hidden gems!
Eoin

Which restaurant do you manage Eoin? Given your helpful reply sounds like a place I'd like to visit...... Gary

garygill wrote:

Which restaurant do you manage Eoin? Given your helpful reply sounds like a place I'd like to visit...... Gary

I agree! Just need to get In-Country first... :cool:

Welcome to KSA! Im sure you and your family will have a good stay in the kingdom inshaAllah. I've been working in Jeddah for 3 years and I've never been better. Went on final exit last Sept. 2013 and flying back soon to Makkah for a new job offer :) . KSA will always be my second home and it's a rare opportunity being given privilege to work in the most Holy Place in the world. Just waiting for the release of my visa and im ready to be back, cant wait! One thing I miss in Jeddah are the shopping malls :P and im sure your wife's going to love it too  ;) . God bless you and your family...

Are you now in KSA?

@Emil - not yet in KSA.  Hopefully soon.

@Lina - thank you so much for your heartfelt and very kind thoughts.  This is the kind of warm wishes that are going to make this transition to expat life a good one. 

R

Ok..I just had my medical exam (done-result's ok) and will be able to complete my passport and other formalities this week..hopefully this will suffice to have the job contract released and flight ticket finalized.. will you be based in Jeddah? I'll be based in Jubail..

emil.esclabanan wrote:

Ok..I just had my medical exam (done-result's ok) and will be able to complete my passport and other formalities this week..hopefully this will suffice to have the job contract released and flight ticket finalized.. will you be based in Jeddah? I'll be based in Jubail..

I'll be in Jeddah.