Moving to Jeddah

i will be moving to Jeddah to work with a community project early next year. The organsation has a flat for me but it is not in an expat compound.  As a single female this concerns me. Is it possible to get a flatshare in a compound with other females?  also in terms of activities -are there possibilities for things like running, pilates, dance etc?  Any other advice or things i should think of before coming over would be welcomed.

Hi beeSA, welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope you will receive some advice from other members.

Good luck. :)

Hello! beeSA,
WELCOM:)
Congrats! to got this opportunity. You'll be happy there trust me. And they'll give you full service before coming, don't be quicked your action. I know a lot of friends and related there, and they'll be happy to help you about everything you want.
Please let us know about your "great news" and I wish you best.

All i can tell u is its not like capetown at all.Very concervative but much better than riyadh.Running,if u can do that wearing abhaya then u free to,but havent seen anyone doing this

hello..
I am a saudi who never lived in saudi arabia. now I am in jeddah. I was one month ago in dubai for 6years. I always hang out with people from philipines. yes jeddah is not like cape town. but living in jeddah is better than living in others cities in saudi arabia. just like you I am searching for people from philipines because I get along with hem very fast..I wish you luck..

Hi All,

I am considering moving to either Jeddah or Riyaadh early next year on a project.  I am married with a 9 year old son. I currently reside in Durban   Anybody has any advise on where to live (either Riyaadh/Jeddah) i have got to choose. What are the living conditions like in Jeddah, as i have heard Riyaadh is very conservative?  I will appreciate any advise as a new expat.

Hi there, welcome soon to Jeddah!
Same here. I am new in Jeddah, just arrived here a couple of months ago. Still trying to adjust and to find ways to make myself pre-occupied.

I do live in a compound though that has alot of recreational activities. I have my tennis tutorial and soon will have a violin lesson. One of my friend is trying to persuade me to enroll in a diving class, which I found really interesting.

Sure you will enjoy it here.

Best of luck :)

For a women you must face the reality.(if not in a compound)

a) you will always be with women (unless your work lets you mingle)
b) Outside your house you will be covered from head to toe in black and when it's 50C I can't imagine what it's like.
c) No driving
d) If you go out eating somewhere you will not be allowed to eat on your own.With a friend or some one else.
e) Dancing , exercise etc is done privately with other women and most likely with expats in compounds. 
f) The beaches are walled off but any women you do see there are not showing too much skin.
g) You must get into seperate elevators.
h) You can't mingle too close to men anywhere
i) You will sit behind a screen at restaurants
j) I believe you can't get into Taxi on your own
h) You can't check into a hotel on your own

So this is the the reality of life in Saudi.I say earn your money and then go and treat it as an experience.

I read your story with interest, and my answer would depend on more details.  For example, where (district) in Jeddah will you be accommodated?  I do agree that it would be more favourable for you to live in a compound, especially for your first stint here.  Jeddah's a big city and can be quite lonely.  Especially when you don't even know where to buy a bag of sugar.
Give me more details of your job and accommodation and Mrs Flightplans and I will try to advise you better.
I agree but disagree with 5themperor on the rules.  It's not that bad.  Far more relaxed than Riyadh.
My wife never covers her hair, but feels comfortable in an abbaya because it averts the stares.  True, you can't drive.  Of course you can sit by yourself when you eat out - otherwise you starve.
Compounds are another lifestyle.  Not exactly true about elevators - if there are females in an elevator, I usually wait for the next one, but usually they tell me to get in - no problem.
Private beach clubs - wear your bikini.  Mingling with men - not advised unless you are on a compound.  Yes - you will have to use the family section.  No problems in getting a taxi by yourself - my wife does it all the time and has never had a problem.  True - you can't check into a hotel by yourself (I think.)
I consider Jeddah one of the safest places in the world - except for the driving.  Never had a problem here.  Saudi's are on the whole, friendly people.  They have questions about our lifestyle because they have not been exposed to it, except in movies and TV.
My final advice - check the accommodation bit, and give it a shot.
Good shopping but we do prefer Tygervalley or the Waterfront.
Get in touch if you have any questions.

man I miss Cape Town - and its only been a month since my return.
Western compounds are your best bet to do all those care-free things we're used to back home. Salamia Compound is a very nice one and fairly priced.  Take a look-see there.
I have checked and found most of the popular compounds are full and the prices escalated.
There is a small compound called Happy Family Compound at the back of the JamJoom Center in Filistin Street close to the Corniche - there is a 3 bedroom duplex available there - check it out.

21 A.D wrote:

Hi there, welcome soon to Jeddah!
Same here. I am new in Jeddah, just arrived here a couple of months ago. Still trying to adjust and to find ways to make myself pre-occupied.

I do live in a compound though that has alot of recreational activities. I have my tennis tutorial and soon will have a violin lesson. One of my friend is trying to persuade me to enroll in a diving class, which I found really interesting.

Sure you will enjoy it here.

Best of luck :)

how much does it cost to live in a compound in Jeddah

Hi BritishArab :)

If you have specific questions don't hesitate to create new topics on the Jeddah forum to increase your chances of obtaining responses ;)

Regards
Armand