Has anyone gone through the simplified naturalization precedure?

Actually to clarify I was marked B1 level at submission.  It's either B1 or immediate rejection.
I maintained my lever.  I think I've learned a million times more than back then.
Therefore instant rejection or B1.

Congrats Blonder!
Have you decided on your tat or not?

Persze, a magyar címer!  I will wait until August and put my life "blood" descent in a small tattoo  - I am still conservative  :)  magyar címer, német zászló, kis kanadai juharlevél and the rising sun!  Hugs to you lovely Marilyn!

Just be sure to take a photo of your new tat and let us see it!!

Thank you very much forum.  I wish you all the best.
I received my identity card today and my eskü was magical. 
The staff were very kind.  Hungarians have big hearts.  Show your kindness and respect and love for Hungary and the people and I promise you that you will feel the same magic.
Study study study.  No secret around it.  STUDY!  Speak a lot and I went blank a few times during the oath but the kindness of the Embassy staff - repeated the one word and I was on my way. 
I am very proud to be a Hungarian citizen.  A long road but well worth taking.
Thank you forum and wishing you all the best.
Blonder

WOW!!!! AMAZING!!! So very happy and glad for you!!
You deserve it more then people who were born in Hungary and never had to go through all the hassles and worry!!!
My Hungarian born husband also sends his grats to you!

Side note: I just got my 10 year permanent resident card, hassle free with a message "finally" that they didn't even have to take my case before the board, I was a shoe in!!

Had my bubbly a couple days back, time for yours!!!

Congrats to you lovely Marilyn and may it be a peaceful and wonderful 10 years!
Yes, I had my bubbly at the embassy.  The staff were super kind.
It was a really beautiful ceremony and something that is one of the most special days in my life.
Glad we are both on the kind road in life now.
Hugs and be well!

Honestly I am very glad to hear the good news!!
Hungarians can be extra kind if we take the time to understand their ways.
I think your ancestors are having a celebration too!

You have my congratulations!

And my envy.

But did they expect you to memorize the oath beforehand? Or was it repeat-after-me style?

Hey Zif.  Thank you and I'm very happy.  A dream come true.
Yes.  You must memorize the eskü. 
I went blank just twice but the kind justice said the next word and I was on my way again and all was fine.  It happens.  Everyone goes blank when nervous. 
I did sing the anthem as I'm a proud Hungarian. 
Study.  Study. Study.  Good luck! 
Also, I received my ID card the same day. Wallet size and barcoded.  Lamininated.
It was one of the happiest days of my life but I wish could have that moment in time again. 
My heart to Hungary!

So cool!!
I "get it" the feeling of belonging to a place and culture.
As an American of mixed background, I was often envious of people who knew exactly what their roots were.
In the big skeem, we are all one, I believe but those little side steps of belonging to a certain group of people with shared experiences of history in old times and places is special.
I feel for people who do not know their background, maybe it is liberating and maybe they never feel at home anywhere, don't honestly know.
I found out exactly the village my father was born in just 3 summers ago.
We drove from Hungary to SE Poland and I got to see his village where he and my grandmother were born. still only 150 people in the village.
I felt so much love for everyone I saw around Poland, so corny but I felt we had the same roots, in any case, in those small villages there is a good chance we were related within a generation or two at least.
You actually took the time and energy to learn Hungarian and that alone is amazing.
When we visited the tiny Rusin museum and I saw a list of several of my relations  with my maiden name listed as people who ran the axle grease trade in the 1850's I knew I had come home.
Their trade route was posted and many used to travel by wagon to Budapest to sell their high quality axle grease for carriages. No wonder I noticed more then a few Hungarian surnames in our family tree.
The small wooden churches everywhere felt special too, I am non religious but just knowing my relations built these with their own hands was something I will never forget.

You deserve to be proud of what you have done, most people just talk the talk but few walk the walk.

Anyone get their ancestors' records from Romania? I think my antecedents might've been born in Transylvania, not sure (there are about a half dozen towns in Greater Hungary that have very similar spelling to the town listed on their naturalization papers, annoyingly). I guess I'll email the Romanian county archives (I think they keep old synagogue birth records there? It's unclear to me) and see if they can help, and shell out for a genealogical service if that fails.

Oh, and belated congrats, blonder!

yegg wrote:

Anyone get their ancestors' records from Romania? ... and shell out for a genealogical service if that fails....

You might be able to get some online records from Church of the Latter Day Saints aka Mormons.  They have put a lot of records online and they are free to access.  Google it.

Unfortunately there is very little in the way of Romanian records online (they never let LDS make copies). I would need it certified and apostilled regardless, I believe.

yegg wrote:

Unfortunately there is very little in the way of Romanian records online (they never let LDS make copies). I would need it certified and apostilled regardless, I believe.

Really? I bow to greater knowledge.

I would have thought there was not much they could do to stop it - public records and all that.

But the Romanian state has always been just that bit more bureaucratic that other places I've worked.  Obscurely so  even.

Hi all,

I'm an Australian looking to apply for Hungarian citizenship via ancestry. My Grandfather was born in Hungary and moved to Australia after the war. I have all of his documents, (birth certificate, military ID, passport, etc), but I don't have access to his marriage certificate. I contacted the consulate in Canberra and they're telling me I need the marriage certificate, but I'm reading accounts from people saying they were able to get citizenship just by showing the ancestral lineage with birth certificates.

Does anyone know whether they actually need the grandparent's marriage certificate?

Are you sure you received your ID card?

I received an address card (green and red) at the oath ceremony, not the identity card.

Or did you receive both?

Address card.  You are correct.

What do you mean by bureaucracy?

Sirni akartam, amikor olvastam az üzenetedet. Neked van úgyanúgy büszkeség Magyarországért, mint van nekem. 
Én fél magyar, és az álmom van, hogy magyar állampolgár leszek. Nagyon nehezen tanitottam magam a magyar nyelvet. November 2015 kezdődtem és amikor kezdődtem a magyar nyelvet tanulni, semmit magyarul tudtam. Sajnos, nem jól beszélek, mert ideges leszek. Nagyon nehéz van nekem, hogy érteni amit beszélnek a magyarok. Sokat akarok, hogy a magyaroknak én latszok mint magyar, és ezért a beszélgetéstől félek. Tanulni fogok Budapesten, egy intenziv magyar nyelv kursban. Sokat remélem, hogy ez a kurs nekem segitséget adna.

Van kérdezem, mert te már magyar állampolgár vagy. Ha van időd, segithetned nekem a beszélgetésemet gyakorolom? Ha Budapesten vagy, találkozhatunk a városban. Ha nem, talán Skype-val beszélgetünk?

Azt hiszem, nagyon jó lenne nekem, beszélgetni valakivel, aki szeret Magyarországot és sikerült egyszerűsitett honositást szerezni.

Study the language.  Your level is easily B2-A1 so you pass.
Take citizenship oath and figure out life's problems after that.

What do I know, but that sounds like great progress after just a year. Congratulations. Two years on and I certainly cannot write like that, anywhere near that.

If you nonetheless don't feel at ease speaking Hungarian, then you need to practice with native speakers, not other foreigners trying to learn the language.  As I may have said before, the man-on-the-street Hungarian doesn't sound very much like the professional announcers on those language tapes, and that's a big problem.  And textbooks, the FSI series in particular, teach a formal Hungarian somewhat removed from everyday colloquial speech. So understanding what you're hearing can be almost as difficult as speaking.

I agree - the language taught and the language spoken are very different. I was even told I spoke too formally because I used the verb "visszatérni", and that spoken Hungarian uses a lot of slang.
It is difficult to find a native speaker to practice with, because when you study at university you're very separated from the Hungarians, and if your group has Hungarians, they only want to speak English. I hope my move to Budapest will help.
I also don't know if my process with naturalisation would be harder than those who apply at consulates, because I have to go through the immigration office in Hungary?

You may actually not have go to immigration services in Budapest because of your status.
I am not sure exactly, I know when I was applying for my resident permit my husband who was born in Hungary didn't have to do anything at immigration.He went into his district city hall office and took care of issuing him new papers.
Of course if you are still going through the process of becoming a Hungarian citizen, I would think you would have to go through immigration services just like the rest of us shmucks.

It is the immigration office, because I'm unfortunately not yet a Hungarian citizen. Luckily for your husband, he was born here so he had a less complicated procedure

http://bevandorlas.hu/index.php?option= … p;lang=en#

Yes, my husband was lucky but what I went through more then made up the difference.

Thank you , this piece of information is very helpful!

zif wrote:

http://bevandorlas.hu/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=982&Itemid=1600&lang=en#

Yes, that is useful.

I only have to wait a few years and I can become a Hungarian citizen without passing the exam in constitutional studies (in Hungarian).

Mr Fluffy, I think I heard something about being able to get HU citizenship if you are over age 60 and like we are family members of a HU citizen.
Is this true?
I am not invested either way just thought I heard something about older people not having to take the Hungarian language test if they already have been in HU for a number of years.
Really doesn't matter much to me either way just found it interesting to know.
Something like a "mercy citizenship" thing? I am good however, have a 10 year resident permit to stay and would be amazed if I actually stay either here or alive that much longer!

Your naturalisation is not simplified naturalisation then?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Mr Fluffy, I think I heard something about being able to get HU citizenship if you are over age 60 and like we are family members of a HU citizen.
Is this true?...

According to what I read on that web site, yes, there's an exemption for over 60s.   

Both you and I would qualify on several grounds - kids that are Hungarian citizens, married to Hungarian citizens, etc etc.  I'm not quite 60 but not far off  (unfortunately). If the info is correct, yes, we too can become Magyars.

I've become more interested in this again because of the Brexit thing.  Looks bad really.  I'll be in that immigration queue the way it's going.

Go for it Fluffy and Marilyn.  At least there is one good thing about being over 60!  You deserve it.

Congrats Blonder! I started the whole process in late 2014, and I stumbled across some of your posts over the years.

I'm in a similar boat - Félvideken született a dédanyam

And I'm working on the official forms now.. dang, not easy, very detailed, and tedious. I hope I pass on the first go round.

Keep working at it and do it fast.
My feeling is that sooner or later the quota will be reached and then they become very selective.
I say this due to the fact that in 2011, it moved fast and many were granted.
New rules were implemented in 2013 and 2014 that made it more difficult (language, present citizenship, monetary back-up etc)
I truly believe to move fast before the next change.
I LOVE Budapest and Hungarians and becoming a Magyar was one of the greatest moments in my life.

My great concern is that they will suddenly decide to standardize the language requirement by using a written test instead. This would not only be harder, I guess, but would at the last moment change the focus of study from conversation to reading.

On the other hand, I seem to recall the President declaring that there would be so-many million new Hungarians by the end of 2018. Well, presidents don't like to be wrong, so if the numbers are lagging a bit from his prediction perhaps there'll be a slight loosening of the throttle, who knows.

I love Orbán Viktor and with many Hungarians going abroad and job vacancies a lot you could be right.  Hungary wants the right kind of citizens and you can read through the lines on that.

The language is very difficult.  I'm ashamed how much I forgot and I have rebooted my brain. I really do love Budapest and love Hungarians.
The only issue is the low wages. Net around 400-2000€   I've been spoiled and not sure I want to work for low wages. Rather study and just enjoy the city.   I truly love the place.

blonder wrote:

I love Orbán Viktor ....

Really?

blonder wrote:

....Hungary wants the right kind of citizens and you can read through the lines on that.

No need to read through the lines, take a trip to Szeged and go on a bit and then you can see the lines yourself.

I meant of Hungarian blood or a strong forint portfolio.  Cash útlevél still seems the almighty in this world :)
Citizenship everywhere is tightening up.
Yes, I'm very proud to have Orbán Viktor as my PM.
In the long run he is right on many issues.

And he's gotten no recognition at all for recognizing right off the bat the problem developing at the border, and taking steps to resolve it. Instead, he was dumped on by all his European peers for trying to control the border.

Of course his peers should stand up and admit "We're all Viktor Orbáns now" but they'll never do it.