Moving to Ireland

Hi everyone,
My partner and I live in Australia and are looking to live and work in Ireland for 6 months.
I have a few questions for you irish locals...

On average how much would you need a week to live comfortably + travelling around Ireland, minus transport fees as we will get out own euro pass for a year. (food, entertainment, hobbies, rent, phones, internet etc...)

We are looking for a one bedroom basic apartment for 6 months, around Galway or Dublin?? Unsure what the best spot for jobs are. Where's the ideal spot to live and work in Ireland?

And looking for a job? What are the chances of mechanical jobs? and admin jobs? What would they pay on average a week? Or even retail and pub jobs, we are open to anything as its our working holiday!

I'd appreciate any answers

Thanks guys!

Hi Alyssa91,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to help you.

Only dublin has a decent bus and rail service to get around in but for the rest of the country its taxis or you need to hire a car.There is the coach you can take from city to city or by rail but the service can be infrequent especially at weekends or public holidays , not like the rest of europe I am  afraid. I think you need to do lots of home work on the jobs you wish to get over here given what you mentioned above. You could find it very difficult to get work in admin or mechanics. My guess is you need to aim for around 2000 euros per month if you want to live in dublin. That could get you rent and all the bits you wish to add to make it 'relatively comfortable'. If you budget for 100euros food for a week you have to cook yourself,Your accomodation can vary from 800euros upwards for a 1 bed apartment depending on the area ofcourse. You could rent cheaper. I don't know if the europass pays for the local bus service but you will find that out soon enough. The best place to live and work  depends on your age, type of entertaiment you are interested in and how much money you wish to spend weekly on entertainment. If you go out for a nite a meal could cost you around 50 euros for 2 people that does not include the wine and then ofcourse the taxi fee to throw in. I hope the info is useful and it really depends on the quality of life you wish to have for 6 months. I just gave you a rough estimate but I would suggest you do more research on the cost of living in ireland and make a decent budget for the eventuality of the job search taking longer than you expected.