Weird weather D 2

Maybe 10-15 mins ago everything turned dark, very very windy and it started pouring, thunders and all. I have been through SEVERAL hurricanes during my life in the Caribbean and this is just short of one.

Is this normal weather for this time of the year? I can see the Saigon River from my balcony and notice the wind is really blowing in the water.

If this Weather Map
is what's coming our way, it'll be a very interesting night.

My cuz told me that there is something in the air lately. She told me to avoid the sun and going out during the day. The weather recently makes especially children tried and sick, makes them feel exhausted and powerless.

Unfurnately I canŽt explain exactly why...

just take care, the sun in vn is aggressive.

You'll get this kind of weather once in a while. So don't worry too much. And it's not only in D2, I'm in Tan Binh and I'm getting the same thing. Just remember to always have your raincoat with you all the time even during dry season.

We have a tropical monsoon climate. Roughly speaking, the weather in VietNam is dominated by two monsoon seasons - the southwest monsoon from April to September and the northeast monsoon from October to late March or early April.

Most people think monsoon ... rain. In VietNam it is only partly true as there are a number of regional variations that affect the rain.

Worth remembering is the southwest monsoon is hot and the northeast monsoon cool.

The southwest monsoon primarily effects Southern VietNam - and it warms up the Mekong Delta, Ho Chi Minh City and the coastal strip as far north to around Qui Nhon and Da Nang.

It also influences the Central Highlands region, where I live, big time. Our rain begins to end as yours starts in the South!

The northeast monsoon governs the north bringing lower temps to Ha Noi, between Ha Long Bay and Chapa (Sa Pa) as well as the the coastal strip as far south as Hue.

Basically we are in between these two seasons, which are variable due to climate change.

Yes, the weather is weird at this time of year.

P.S. Hat tip to the late John Pratt who loved weather with a passion and had to teach me weather in a 3 week period, a long, long time ago for a special job I worked on.

P.P.S. Next time you watch a movie, check out the weather/sky changes between scenes - hard to get the same weather for consecutive scenes shot on different days!

Great weather today!

The rainstorm knocked the temps way down; the Saigonese motorcycle drivers are hiding out under bridges with their rain capes on looking like wet chickens; the air is fresh and the dust washed way.

Mind you, a few roads are flooded. But it's a small price to pay.

If you are in the Mekong Delta and it rained, the frogs should be easy to catch. They taste great cooked with ginger.

Hello Jaitch

There's a storm going on here again! it's dark and very very windy, rain is coming from every direction. Funny how it feels like I'm in the middle of a tropical storm/hurricane in Puerto Rico. Nice day to stay home and have hot chocolate and watch movies. Of course if you are lucky enough to have power or have a generator on your building.

melba525 wrote:

... Of course if you are lucky enough to have power or have a generator on your building.

I have 8-9 hours battery back-up for the computers; the building has generators but we haven't lost EVN power for a few weeks.

The raining season is coming early again this year. That was like a good 3 months of no rain.

melba525 wrote:

Hello Jaitch

Funny how it feels like I'm in the middle of a tropical storm/hurricane in Puerto Rico.

Though it may look ferocious for newcomers, the rain in SGN is actually quite benign. A lot of downpour in a short time, then the sky clears up very quickly. Seldom damage to property. Little wind.

The South of Vietnam is blessed with good weather and fertile land.
The Middle of Vietnam is the opposite: arid and poor land with dangerous storms.

This reflects in the life attitude (even the accent, one would argue) of the people. Southerners are known for a more easy going and bon-de-vivre attitude. Central Vietnamese are more hardened and difficult.

North Vietnamese are a different story altogether.