Want to know all about China Town!

Hey forum..

I'm looking for some information on shopping from China Town..are the goods over priced? If yes, how much bargaining one can do?
I'm sure the goods will be imitation of big brands.. but any chance to find original products?

Moreover, whats the best way to go to China Town from hotel The Nomad, Sucasa to Jalan Ampang over the weekend.

Thanks in advance

Hi Anil and welcome to Expat.com!

Do not hesitate to browse through the forum, it may be helpful.;)

Harmonie.

Yeah. I do want to learn more about China Town. I heard that business are alive and successful it that place.

I visited ChinaTown last weekend.. This place has all imitations of big brands (don't fall in trap when shop keeper tells you its original and that's why its expensive)..which over priced and the some shopkeeper's are very rude..
Go with one mantra - "Haggle, Haggle and Haggle"

Most of the shops have similar stuff so if one shopkeeper refuses to give at your expected price, don't worry you will get that product in other shop at your expected price. Don't buy from the first shop you see the product, most people fall for it.. Keep patience and check the price in other shops & then go for it!
HTH

Dear Anil,

Almost most of items sold there are not original. It's good to brouse around there and get to eat some nice Chinese food.You have to be very careful in Chinatown as there will be some guys observing the shoppers what items there are looking for and how much money they carry. Example let say i am looking for to a buy a TShirt, the shop will gave me amost a ridiculous price which shock me to death. Then they will start to bargain and reduce the price to so and so.... But still you don't want to buy and walked aways to a shop few miles aways.There will be actually someone sending messages by walkie talkie to the shop that you stopped where there price will be the same so and so so you will tricked by saying it is very cheap. There are some nice shopping malls which sells original stuffs in KL.Another interesting part about Chinatown is if you go to this morning market which starts about 5am and you can see all types of stolen items been sold. And if you are lucky you can get a nice branded stuff extremely cheap. But ofcourse you have to bargain. I used to go there for antique stuffs which are rare to find and not stolen stuffs but it is a interesting activity to check out for fun. Don't worry as you will not be disturbed by authorities but again better to be safe than sorry. :P

That's true.. i saw shopkeeprs with Walkie-Talkies.. I went only to experience it and to buy some imitations of genuine products.. no serious shopping :)
Yes, KL has all major brand outlets in all the malls.. no dearth of it!!

5am market is something I need to check :) thanks..

Hi 2/3rds of the stuff is from pratunum area of Bangkok and sold twice the price (after haggling local price) so I don't bother cheaper to take a trip to this ms and go shopping once a year. Of course it's all cheap fakes. Ok for clothes I wouldn't buy anything electronic from there

Also chinatown full of pickpockets so be careful!

I went to china town and was not impressed at all !!! They kept on pushing products to my face , you get haggled by everyone geez!!! When i heard china town i expected something more Chinese but what i got was a million hawkers forcing you to buy stuff , quite similar with the second hand markets here I'n Nairobi lol ....

I sort of agree with Diana. The only reason I will be going back to Chinatown is for the fake purses and flowers.  We saw some beautiful flower arrangements for very cheap.  However, if I find out that you can buy flowers elsewhere just as cheap I'd rather go there. I wasn't overly impressed with Chinatown.

So you want to buy a original goods from China Town?
All goods there as the shop owners promote is original fake goods.
But I am sure after visiting China Town you will feel that you bought original goods.
May I suggest to you to go to Town and buy a original goods and prices 3000% more expensive.