Moving to Chennai and Communications

Hi,

I'm moving to Chennai next week for a 3-month (maybe longer) work assignment.  I'll also probably be doing some traveling to rural areas involved with my work.
I'm interested in 2 things:

1) What is/are the best option(s) for internet connectivity in the city and while traveling?  Is wi-fi easily available in the city and in rural areas?  I'm thinking of buying a 3G phone once I get there if this will be a good idea. 
Also, I will need my computer for work while in the city and traveling.  Currently, I use a 3G USB modem with a SIM card (here in Cambodia). Is this option available in Chennai/India- buying a local Indian 3G SIM card?
What do you think  a SIM card costs, what the typical usage costs might be for a month and which companies have the best service (i.e most reliable)?

2) Like others, I would like to meet some new Indian friends (and some ex-pats, too) to show me around the city, best places to eat, shop, buy things.   

Thanks
Andrew

hie how are you...?
can we meet..? i can help you out...

Andrewjmarino12,
To straight away answer your questions

a. Opting for a 3G phone is a good decision, if you want to be connected ONLINE. And just like  in Cambodia you do have numerous options to choose from when you want to buy a 3G USB modem. Some of the options for you are - MTS, Reliance, Tata Docomo - all these work pretty fine, but just google and choose which plan you would want to buy to get the real price. I would say if you have a fair usage you would shell any where btw 400 to 700 INR per month on your mobile with internet. And for the USB modem you may have to pay a fee for the device as well, apprx 1200 INR.

b. I'm from Chennai, but not in Chennai at the moment...but I hope you are able to find friends there.

I hope you have a great time exploring Chennai and other places you travel to. Have fun..good luck !!

rgds.

Thanks for the reply and approximate pricing.  I already have a USB 3G modem, so hopefully they (internet carriers) have compatability. Yes, I hope I'll like Chennai, and India, too.

Dear Andrew
              Its very simple getting the internet connection while on the move. All you have to carry is your valid photo ID and these days the mobile companies just ask for your local address proof as well.

You mentioned that you are gonna live here in Chennai for atleast 3 months. 1st find a good reliable friend who can be with you till you leave and who knows well about the terms and policies of the Indian Government.

Regards
Dave

IT Consultant
US Accent Trainer
Online Tutor
+91-988-495-1899

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I already finished my work in India.  Maybe next time I visit.
Andrew

Hi ,

Best net conneciton reliance.shall we meet..