Job opportunities in Brussels

Hi Everybody!

I am completely new to the Forum, my name is Alexandra (from Hungary) and the reason why I registered is to ask your opinion / help about job opportunities / living costs in Brussels / Louvain-la-Neuve.

I am strongly considering doing a semester at Université catholique de Louvain with the Erasmus program, but it looks like I will have to work besides going to the university. I speak a very-very basic French, intermediate Spanish (and of course English and my mother tongue - Hungarian). Do you think I would be able to find something part-time in Louvain-la-Neuve with these parameters? I will not have much classes, and I am willing to fulfill any position (cleaning, au-pair, etc).. I am aware that LLN is really close to Brussels, so I was even thinking of getting a job there, and traveling to LLN only for my classes - can you give me an approximate price of the monthly pass between Brussels and Louvain-la-Neuve?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Alexandra from Hungary

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Alexandra!

A new thread has been created on the Brussels forum to give your post more visibility.

Good luck in your research ;)
Armand

The full return fare between LLN and BXL is 10 euro, but looking on the SNCB (train) website, if you are under 26 years old and travelling as a student, it could be just over 20 euro for a monthly train pass, the full price for a monthly pass on this route is just over 100 euro. I have no idea how you would apply for this student reduced fare though, I'm sure someone at UCL - LLN could tell you.

There is a legal system called "titre service" for cleaners and to be honest, most Belgians looking for a cleaner would employ someone through this system as it's cheap, tax deductible. If you wanted to work through this system, it would take you quite a few weeks to get set up and even then you may not get any work. Cash in hand cleaners will be quite rare in LLN, much more common in BSL amongst the expat population, many of whom due to their lack of language skills and the fact many are on expat contracts, do not access the titre service system. However, much of this market is filled by illegal Philipinos or similar.

You are better off looking for an au pair position, but "pocket money" only has to be 450 euro a month and the hours may not fit in with your studies.

I don't know how big the Hungarian community is in BXL, but if there is a Hungarian church or community centre in BXL, that might be a good way of connecting with Hungarian families looking for child care. I cannot help you there, my Hungarian is non existent!

Most universities also have offices specifically to help students find work - find out where the one for UCL - LLN is and ask them what the possibility of part time work is.

These are details of the student reduction for train passes - it's 20% of full fare.
http://www.b-rail.be/nat/F/tarifs/train … /index.php

Thank you so much for the fast answers, I have never met such helpful people on other forums.. So it should be no problem to travel between Brussels and LLN on a daily level, that is good news.

I will try to look for some Hungarian connections out there and see if they have any ideas for me..

Can you give me an idea how much would be the monthly rent of a room (not necessarily in the city center)? Are there any reliable websites where I can browse for accommodation?

The very very minimum you are looking at for a room per month is 300 euro, up to 500 euro, for accommodation aimed at students / stagiares. You need to look for a "kot".

www.apartager.be

This minimum 300 EUR does not include the bills, does it?

As I've never lived in a "kot", I have no idea what is the norm for bills, whether they are quoted in price or shared between those sharing.

There is also this website, I'm sure the accommodation on this website would be inclusive of bills.
http://www.brusselsdestination.be/en/index.html

http://www.appartager.be/
Sorry I missed out a "p"

I'm sure you'll find "kots" cheaper in LLN than Brussels though and UCL-LLN will have an office which gives information on "kots".