Help :: New to Brussels

Dear All,

I'm coming for the 3 months trip to Brussels. I would like to know few information:

1) Which is the cheapest GSM service provider to call India?

2) Which is the best option for the internet (USB modem - 5 GB/month) ?

3) I have a O2 USB modem brought from Munich. Will it work in Belgium aswell, if I change the SIM alone ?

4) Please suggest me the best option (websites etc) for booking international Train/bus journey ?

5) If there is any Monthly/Weekly pass for train/tram ? How much are the rates?

Many Thanks,
Thomas

I can't answer 1) to 3).

4) it depends on where you want to go. www.db.de is pretty good for any journeys to and through Germany, especially if you buy a discount card and buy tickets 3 months in advance. If you're looking to go to France, then the French train website, if looking to go to Netherlands, then the Netherlands train website, if the UK, then Eurostar.

5)all information about public transport tickets for STIB in Brussels is here.
http://www.stib.be/acheter-kopen.html?l=en

Hi Thomas!

I can answear to 4 and 5 :P

4 - You can look for travels here: Rayanair, Eurolines and Belrail
5 - For the tram, bus and metro you pay monthly 46,50€! But then you have some possibilites if you want to travel in eurolines for example, to go to another cities/countries!

If you want company to travel say something! I love traveling, but my friends or doesn't have time, or money and I never tried to travel alone :P

Hi Schoolmum/LitaChamber,

This will be helpful.

6) I have seen MTB season ticket & STIB season ticket? What is the exact difference?

7) If this season tickets are for two fixed stations or can be used for the travel in entire Brussels? Any limit for this tickets; like different ticket for different zones?

8)From the STIB website I have seen a network map, but looks complicated. In Munich we have a real map and a simplified map with straight lines for quick reference. If we have some similar in Brussels as well?

@ LitaChambel,

Of course I will ping you during my travel for company.. :)

MTB monthly/annual pass includes a few De Lijn bus stops just outside Brussels region, I think some rule about SNCB trains too within the Brussels region, only those using those bus stops ever buy this ticket, 99% chance you'll need the regular STIB pass.

It's one single price for the whole STIB network, no zones.

There are 2 maps, the day time map and the after 8pm map - only difference between the 2 maps is some of the tram routes change name and routes slightly.

Wow... what a quick response!!  :)
Thank you for your time and willingness to help...

There are individual line timetables with the names of stops at the top of each timetable, you don't see them geographically on a map though. There are all on the STIB website.