Hiiii

Hi all,

I'm moving to Barcelona in October and am looking for friends, tips, advice, suggestions, feedback. (Anything that can make the move seem less foreign and culture-shock-esque. ;).

Not sure how active the community is on here, just stumbled upon the site on Google. If you have any feedback or advice, or just simply want to say hi, please feel free to message me (if you can do that on here??)

Ciao,
K

HEY =) well, i can't really give any advice lol i'm int he same boat as you i really wanna move to spain but not sure where. So, i wanted to ask you why Barcelona? What made you decide that's the place?

Are you moving to Barcelona to work?  I am think of moving in January, for 6 months, and would love to hear how you found a place/flat, because that is my biggest concern!

-Alexis

I'm actually moving to Barcelona in October too! Coming from Seattle to be an au pair for a year. Looking to meet people to explore the city with.

Hi, I'm actually moving to Barcelona at the beginning of October - looking for everything actually, place to live, temporary work until I start my English program... everything! I keep on looking at these threads regarding Visas, salary, etc. and I'm starting to get a little worried. Does anyone know if it's possible to actually have an easy transition into this? Doesn't look like anyone on this thread actually lives there yet, haha but if anyone has any advice, please let me know!

kalinmc - how did you find your au pair position?

Hi Bella,

I am Taiwanese and already in Barcelona now.  If you need any information about here, I can let you know as I know.^__^

Hi,
I'm moving to Barcelona next October too! I won't be an expat, since I'm Spanish, but I'm facing the same problems, finding a room to rent, finding a job that's compatible with the postgraduate course I'll be attending... Fortunately I have some friends here in Madrid that know people in Barcelona and I'm getting in touch with them to ask for a little help. I can share with you my "discoveries" in Barcelona, if that can help you.
Good luck! - ¡Buena suerte! - ¡Bona sort!

So, I found my au pair program through a NY based company called InterExchange. Here is their website: workingabroad.org

The moving process is definitely challenging. I haven't heard of any loop holes. You have to apply in person with the Spanish consulate...I actually just got back today from SF where I had to apply. The meeting didn't take that long, it just takes a long time to get all the paperwork together. If you haven't started that yet, I would definitely recommend doing so now. It can take up to a month to get an appointment and then another month for your visa to be ready.

Good luck with getting everything together. Let me know if you have any questions...I'm still going through the whole process, but it sounds like I'm a step ahead of you, so I'm happy to offer any advice that I can.

Hi everyone!

Just started a blog for people like us :) who are in desperate need of some infosharing so check it out, ask, comment and i'll found out!!
I also have lots of links that you might find useful!

xxx
BarceloMIA

http://barcelomia.blogspot.com/

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are also moving to barca next summer.

What are you going to do when you're there? My boyfriend works offshore so it doesnt really matter where we're based. Im thinking about going to uni to get some spanish and catalan as neither of us have any. (well, i think i do when ive had a few.haha)

Im really keen to get some contacts established bfore we get there. email me if you get a chance and we can chat some more.

Cat.

Dear all,

Hi guys, my name is Ben and Im looking for some people who can help me out with my English. Since I live in Barcelona (Im native), Ill be more than happy to give you some advices about anything you need to know!. Im also willing to do some Spanish or Catalan/English exchange.

So,Please!, if you are interested do not hesitate to contact me.

Best,

Ben Valldaura.

Hello Darcy,
I forget to tell you yess I could help you with your English but unfortunately I live in Nice I am not so far away but yess its abit far so what I could suggest you I love to learn spanish also so I am planing to come to Barcelona time to time and probably this will b enot enough for you but what we could do I could add you to my msn list then we can chat when you want to.. That will help alot believme because it writting also we can talk via web cam. So what you saying ?
I am very much interested to know your colture.. what is your level in English ? I study English in England so I have this English accent if you dont mind :)
Kind Regards

Devrim