Mugged in Pnom Penh

Guys, I'm a panicky mother in Castlegar BC, whose son has just been mugged in Pnom Penh.  He left me a message on FB a couple of hours ago, but I wasn't online, and I'm waiting for him to come back online.  All his money and bank cards were stolen, and he messaged only that he's in a place where they'll hold his passport until we can send him some cash, and meantime he'd try and get some help at the embassy. 

Until I know where he is, I can't do anything for him - but meantime I thought I'd put his plight out on a forum like this, in case any fellow Canadians in Pnom Penh might be able to lend him a helping hand, or at least be a friendly face.  His name is Owen, he's 26, has been teaching English in Hanoi, and was just travelling around a bit after doing a course in Bangkok.  I'm very sorry if this is bad forum etiquette, but I really am in meltdown mode.  When he gets in touch again, I'll post where he is.  To any good samaritans out there - thank you, thank you, thank you.  Rebecca Bradley, Castlegar

Well, Owen has been back in touch.  He's at a guesthouse called something like the Son Lak, very near the central market.  He'll try and get a phone number and exact name for the place, but if anybody wants to get in touch, his FB name is Huxtable Burpkis, and you could friend him.  Please, somebody, it would be a real kindness.

And a question: should he or should he not go to the police?  All my travel experience is in Arab countries, where I would NOT go to the cops, but my Asian experience is very limited.

Hi Rebecca,

I'm confused as of what you need help on,  he seem to be safe now.  Mugging is common everywhere, in the world. In the past 3 week i've seen 4 mugging in action, 2 in PP and 2 in vietnam.  The mugger is only after the $$ and not really his life.  I think you can calm down a little.  If he needs a new passport he should goto the embassy and from there all his question should be answer. 

Any ways, i'm also a fellow canadian in PP @ the moment, so let me know if u need more help.

Why was he carrying all his money and bank cards, not a wise thing to do in any foreign city. You can send him money by Western Union if need be until he gets his bank cards replaced, not an easy thing to do here if its a Canadian Bank.

Thanks for your response. No, his passport was not stolen, and I've wired him some cash, which I hope will reach him soonest.  It's just that he's alone and friendless in a strange place, and has just had a very unpleasant, disorienting experience.  And for a while, except for one message on FB, we had no idea whether he was safe or not, or whether we could get cash to him in a timely fashion.  A friendly Canadian voice and some knowledgeable local advice would not go amiss.  And now to bed, as it's 3am in snowy Castlegar, the coyotes are howling on the hills, and I have to get up and feed the chickens in three hours. :-)  Thanks again for your response.

Iankyddmiller wrote:

Why was he carrying all his money and bank cards, not a wise thing to do in any foreign city. You can send him money by Western Union if need be until he gets his bank cards replaced, not an easy thing to do here if its a Canadian Bank.

He was on the bus to Sihanoukville, so he had all his stuff with him.  It happened in the bus station.

A OK that makes in clearer. Sorry he has seen one of the bad sides of Cambodia. That said Cambodia generally, for tourists, is a very safe place.

Another question.  He was taken to hospital in an ambulance--pretty much by force--and then released without treatment.  Because all his money had been stolen, they had to let him go without him paying anything, but he then received an emailed request for information from the Canadian consulate in Bangkok.  The question is, does this mean he'll have trouble leaving the country until the damn bill is paid?  Many thanks for any info.

why was he taken to the hospital for?....

Aaliyah01 wrote:

why was he taken to the hospital for?....

Oh, it's a long story.  He's in Sihanoukville now, leaving for Saigon in a few days.  But somehow he likes Cambodia very much, despite his bad experience, and may come back.

Rebecca,

May I ask how much he ask you to send??  Something seems a little fishy...   Also how long as he been away from home? (btw, I'm from Calgary also)  And does he work out here or just come out here for vacation??

JamesWong wrote:

Rebecca,

May I ask how much he ask you to send??  Something seems a little fishy...   Also how long as he been away from home? (btw, I'm from Calgary also)  And does he work out here or just come out here for vacation??

Thanks for your concern, but no, nothing's fishy.  We're in close touch by FB and email, and I know his style.  He's been teaching in Hanoi for almost a year, then went to do a CELTA course in Bangkok, and wanted to see Angkor Wat etc on his way back to Vietnam.  What part of Calgary?  We lived in West Hillhurst until we moved to BC a couple of years ago.

well oki.. then .. is everything alright now ?
Phnom Penh is quite calm N relaxed..

RebeccaBradley wrote:
JamesWong wrote:

Rebecca,

Thanks for your concern, but no, nothing's fishy.  We're in close touch by FB and email, and I know his style.  He's been teaching in Hanoi for almost a year, then went to do a CELTA course in Bangkok, and wanted to see Angkor Wat etc on his way back to Vietnam.  What part of Calgary?  We lived in West Hillhurst until we moved to BC a couple of years ago.

I lived in Hamptons when i was living in Calgary.  I moved out to Phnom Penh in October, 2011.  But the last 6 years i've been living in Vietnam (Ho Chi Minh) every winter. (6 months of the year).

Sorry for saying it sounds a little fishy.  Just a few friend's of mine that i thought i knew pretty well, moved out to Asia also came up with stories like your to get buddies and family member's to send $ out to them.  Just didn't know if your son picked up some bad habits out here.  The part about they taking him in a ambulances just doesn't seem to add up.  This is asia, if ur not bleeding or past out they don't usually take you.  Also, who in Asia would of called the ambulances for a guy that got mugged.  I can understand if this was in Canada, but things work a little different in Asia.  Any ways i appologise If i offend you or your son in any way.  Maybe i've just seen and hear too many things now to believe things without seeing it for myself.

Cheers..

No offense taken, James.  :)  Aaliyah, he's fine now, and so am I.  That is, the solid ball of anxiety in my stomach has somewhat dissolved.  Now I know how MY mum felt when I was traipsing around the Sudan in my twenties...

Hello,
How are you I hope you are doing fine now. How may I contact him ,maybe I can help him with a few Hours English teaching Job. I can be reached at +855 23 65 23300.

Best regards,
Sy, for
BSEC

Thanks, Sy, that's very kind.  He is back in Vietnam for the moment, but I will pass your number on to him.  Despite his bad experience, he was very intrigued with Cambodia, and would like to return.  Cheers, and thanks to you all.  Rebecca

Hey Rebecca,

I'm so glad this worked out ok. I would have reacted EXACTLY the same in your position - and I'm not even a mum!
Your son is very lucky to have such a caring mum looking out for him from afar so I hope he appreciates you!
I have no idea why people think PP is a safe place. People get killed on motorcyles and mugged every single day. You were completely right to ask for advice.

Best wishes,

Amy

Oh Amy,
you give such a bad opinion of PP. Its a major city and as major cities in the Far East go is IMO one of the safest to be in. Mugging of expats/tourist is rare in comparison to places like Bangkok and as for getting killed on a motocycle, yes it happens but it could happen just as easily in London or New York. JMO ...

amykate wrote:

Hey Rebecca,

I'm so glad this worked out ok. I would have reacted EXACTLY the same in your position - and I'm not even a mum!
Your son is very lucky to have such a caring mum looking out for him from afar so I hope he appreciates you!
I have no idea why people think PP is a safe place. People get killed on motorcyles and mugged every single day. You were completely right to ask for advice.

Best wishes,

Amy

Amy, many thanks for your kind words! :)

Most unusual.  One of the safest places I have travelled to over a number of years.  Physical harm rare. Financial loss frequent. but hey we all have a lot more than they have...  Only time we lost much was from the front of the bus travelling to Takeo (worked there as a volunteer for 2 years) and the person who took it was probably able to feed their family for a week or so.

I dont believe that Cambodia has no violent muggings.

A friend of mine was teaching in Cambodia for just over a year and was mugged in August 2012, his 200 dollars and cellphone was taken.He was also hit behind the neck and left for dead. He is now back in South Africa and totally paralized.

I will be visiting him again today in hospital.

He is actually giving up hope in life because now he will be cripple for the rest of his life.

I just hope those idiots that mugged him dont do it to someone else.