Best place to live in Ecuador...

Thank you Hector
The pictures look nice.
I will have to check out the Fish and Chip restaurant when Im there in a few weeks;)

How safe is it? Do they have decent houses for $200-$300 close to the beach and have you been there how about tempatures?

Thanks, Hector. It looks very nice. I will be sure to visit Salinas while I am there. Since I'm currently going nuts with the heat/humidity here in the Philippines, I'm pretty sure I will settle in the mountains rather than the coast, but I'm sure I will visit the coast often (especially for scuba).

Bob

Bob,

Contrary to popular myth, the Ecuadorian southern coast is dry.  Salinas is like Vegas by the Pacific.  Desert dry, without the extremes in heat, along the coast.  Humidity in these parts is very moderate.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

escapingoth,

The fish n' chips place is Big Ralph's and definitely worth a look.  Owned by a classically trained British chef.  Runs a downright hospitable Hostal, as well.  The owner and his Ecuadorian wife are wonderful folks!  If you get to the area, drop me an email.  I will join you for a good Big Ralph's meal.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Helen,

Salinas is very safe. Statistically, one of the safest cities in all of Ecuador.  It is the premiere resort town and they protect their tourism revenue generating source.  During low season, your target rental rates are not a problem, for a modest place, with a very "Ecuadorian" feel.  During high season, you can find it, but it will require some work and finesse.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

HGQ2112 wrote:

Contrary to popular myth, the Ecuadorian southern coast is dry.  Salinas is like Vegas by the Pacific.  Desert dry, without the extremes in heat, along the coast.  Humidity in these parts is very moderate.

I know it doesn't rain much on the coast, but I just checked on Weather.com, and it says the current humidity is 94%. I realize it's middle of the night there, when humidity is higher, but the forecast for tomorrow mid-day is 81%.

Rain is less a concern for me than a muggy atmosphere, and to me humidity that high, combined with heat, is very unpleasant. Though it's certainly not likely to be as bad as here (we get humidity at similar levels, combined with 30C temps -- it looks like 25C is more typical there). 

Still, I appreciate your input, and I will visit Salinas. But the mountains seem more enticing to me right now, coupled with an occasional short break on the coast.

Bob

Weather.com and the rest pull their data from Guayaquil, 2 hours away, which has Miami weather.  It may read "Salinas", but the weather station source is Guayaquil.  Just an FYI.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

HGQ2112 wrote:

Weather.com and the rest pull their data from Guayaquil, 2 hours away, which has Miami weather.  It may read "Salinas", but the weather station source is Guayaquil.  Just an FYI.

No, the two cities have totally different info at Weather.com.

The current temp shown for Salinas is 73F; for Guayaquil, it is 75F.

Tomorrow's forecast: Salinas 75F with 86% humidity; Guayaquil 81F with 65% humidity.

Both are better than Cebu. :)

Bob

Your on Hector
I will email you.
Hans

Bob,

Then they have inverted the weather sources.  No way does Guayaquil, ever, have lower humidity than Salinas.  That is a dead give away.  I assure you, as I sit here, there is no 90%+ humidity in Salinas right now.  Guayaquil...no doubt, I am sure there is.  It is more humid than the norm here right now, but nowhere near 90%. Something is wrong with that read.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Mountain is where I want to go not the coast I hate humidity I now live in Arizona is very dry and too hot for me. What mountain area are you looking at

Helen,

Just to be clear, Salinas temperatures range between 65º- 85º year round, with the low end being night time lows and the upper end day time highs.  Humidity is dry, like AZ.  As for sierra region areas that are desirable, I like the towns of Chordoleg and Gualeceo, both near Cuenca, so you can partake of whatever the city has to offer, but much more peaceful, pristine, and more of a "local lifestyle".  I would also look at Urcuqui, this time just outside Quito.  The beautiful rolling hills setting is being turned into an Ecuadoran "Silicon Valley" of sorts, with the introduction of the "Yachay, City of Knowledge" project.  Nice, tranquil setting, set to see price appreciation as the project slowly evolves.  If you must have a "big city" lifestyle, just outside your front door and you want the sierras, can't do better than Quito, itself.  Those are my initial thoughts, given the limited data I have for your circumstances.

Hector

HelenRudd wrote:

Mountain is where I want to go not the coast I hate humidity I now live in Arizona is very dry and too hot for me. What mountain area are you looking at

I will most likely settle in Quito, because I like the amenities of big city life, but I will probably take a good look at Cuenca as well. I think everything else is too small for my tastes.

Where in Arizona? I was born and raised in Phoenix (old enough to remember when there was a stand selling farm produce on the corner of Central & Camelback).

Bob

My husband and I are having difficulties in choosing between Ecuador and Belize to retire next year.

The only reason I am not leaning towards Ecuador is due to my limited amount of Spanish (but eager to learn) and the seemingly difficult/costly process of gaining residency.

Belize has what we are looking for (low cost of living, beaches within a short drive, large expat communities, and English as the official language), but it lacks the medicines I may need.

Any advice?
Laura

kayana10,

FYI, I represent business interests in both countries.  Preferred to live in Ecuador.  Candidly, not even close in my book.  Ecuador is an economically self-sustainable country, with a diverse economic base, further being enhanced by the Presidential Administration of Rafael Correa.  While Ecuador's population may be modest, it dwarfs that of Belize.  Belize is wholly reliant on tourism in an external world increasingly in economic crisis, less prone to tourism travel, except the ultra-wealthy who will, I assure you, not select Belize as their travel destination of choice. In short, Belize is nowhere a self-sustainable nation, on an economic basis.

Furthermore, Ecuador's infrastructure - roads, medical, schools, law-enforcement, fire services, water/sewer, electric, etc. - is light years more advanced than Belize, again largely due to the efforts of the current Presidential Administration.  Not even close.  So it is not just "medicines" you might not be able to get...it is medical service...potable water...ready road access to your residence (especially during the rainy season) and a host of other considerations.

All this is made worse by the fact that Belize is actually more expensive, with much less to offer!  Ecuador has one of the world's easiest permanent residency programs, so I am unsure as to why/where you were told otherwise.  An Investor Visa or a Retirement Visa are ultra-easy to get.  The rest, only slightly more difficult.

In short, respectfully, that leaves you with the only valid point in favor of Belize being the language.  However, have you visited Belize?  The language may be "English", but it is a mixed dialect not always the easiest to follow. Certainly better than Spanish, for a non-native speaker of the latter, but no cake-walk, as far as English.  It takes some getting used to the dialect, as spoken by many.

Your choice...but for me...it was an easy one.  It is also curious to note that 3 of my last 5 business transactions were with relocated USA/Canadian residents, who had moved to Belize and have now relocated to Ecuador.  Something to think about.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Thank you so much for your input.  You have placed Ecuador on my priority list.

We intend to come down this October.

kayana10 wrote:

Thank you so much for your input.  You have placed Ecuador on my priority list.

We intend to come down this October.

I have been to neither, but from my reading up on both, I think I'd take Ecuador in  NY minute.  I think Hector makes valid points.  Also, I have listened to a number of interviews of President Correa, and he sounds like a first-class person to have leading the way.

kayana10,

Great! If I can be of any help, in any way, either contact me here or through my email address below.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Paradise valley Scottsdale area it's beatiful but expensive

Helen: I know the area well. I'll be back in Phoenix this fall for a visit before heading down to Ecuador. Maybe we can meet up and exchange notes.

Bob

Maybe let me know when you will be here
I am still working will be retiring soon and want to go to ecuador.

Laundry how is it done do rentals have washer and dryers? If not how is it done?

Helen,

Many units have washers/dryers.  If not, they have laundry room facilities.  If not, there is at home laundry pick up services, which is dirt cheap, for good quality work.  The option is generally defined by the type of rental you seek and the budget you are working with at the time.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

I have read each of the posts on this thread as part of my research into "where in Ecuador" would I like to start my adventure.  Mr. Hector Quintana's input has been most helpful as he seems to be very knowledgable about the many areas and has been very generous with his time.  Hopefully, he might see my question and offer some advice. Having said that, useful input from anyone in this forum would be greatly appreciated.

I will be semi-retired from a career in corporate finance in the US and want to get as far away from the greed and American ignorance/arrogance as possible.  Ecuador seems very inviting.

I would like to pursue part time self employment while living in Ecuador and hope to draw upon my love of the sport of billiards.  Obviously, I will need to be close to one of the larger cities for this to work and wonder which cities (if any) already have a good number of pool players (both expat and locals)????  Although I have dealership arrangements with many equipment manufacturers, I am most interested in playing socially (and competitively) and teaching/coaching players.  I am wondering if there are any organized leagues or other social opportunities surrounding the sport of pool and where such activity exists.

BTW, although I've done my share of it many years ago, I now avoid "gambling" on pool here in the states due to the abrasive attitude of the modern American players/gamblers.  However, it would be useful to have some idea of what type of pool playing already exists here in Ecuador.

- Carlos aka "El Bueno Gringo"
     [email protected]

I grew up in Belize, born in Tela, Honduras; lived in London before coming to Los Angeles.  The crime in Belize is way too high in comparison to the population.   Although foreigners live in gated areas, etc, I was a bit concerned.   Like everywhere some areas are nicer than others but since my family was not born there but in other parts of C.A. I know I would not retire there.   The convenience is you are only a few hours from Florida.   Also consider the healthcare issues.  My husband, a norte Americano with Canadian relatives are considering Cuerna, Ecuador or Colon, Panama where my mother was born.  But look up what the State Department says about Belize.

Quito, best place in South America for the arts.

Carlos,

Billiards...the story.  If I were going to open a billiards parlor, I would select Guayaquil...but...billiards does not have a huge following here, anywhere.  Additionally, there have been 3 recent attempts here in the resort town of Salinas, where people go to recreate and the results have not been stellar.  Ecuador may be the right place, but billiards may not be the right investment vehicle.  That's my 2 cents.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Hector,

Thanks for the input on billiards.  I suspected as much due to my poor results while trying to research it online.  Your replay confirmed my "guess" and has been most helpful.

Carlos  aka  "El Bueno Gringo"
  [email protected]

PS  "El Bueno Gringo" is my aspiration to become an expat who is thoughtful and welcomed by the lovely people in my new land.  Being from the US where the pace of life and the value system of most folks in the business community is pretty egocentric, becoming a bueno gringo might be a bit of a challenge., but that's why I want to move to a new land.

Carlos,

I love your attitude! Ecuador would be proud to welcome you, but I am sure you will do well wherever you land.

Hector G. Quintana
[email protected]

Bueno Gringo: Your attitude is great, you will do just fine if you really follow your aspiration to blend with the locals embracing their culture. Just as a recommendation, please avoid getting upset when you realize that Ecuador is not US. Things work, but handled in different manners.. especially timing! please be patience because time taken the Ecuadorian way usually means time to oneself and family, not for customers. Dont expect bend over backward customer service and certainly dont get mad when you dont get it! It is at the very root of the well known Ecuadorian kindness. They better have less but enjoy more time with family.
May I clarify that the correct Spanish word for your intended Ecuadorian nickname is "BUEN gringo", or gringo bueno (in that order). Good luck and keep up posted on how you are!

Loving Ecuador wrote:

the Ecuadorian way usually means time to oneself and family, not for customers.

Can you explain this a bit more? I don't know that I understand how providing timely customer service takes away from family time. Ecuadoreans work longer work weeks then gringos.

I mean, if one can solve clients problems quickly and effectively, one will have more time and energy for ones private life, no?

Hi defuera, I understand the confusion and absolutely agree about the need to problem solve clients needs. That is what makes service better and capitalism the best system to produce the best customer service standards in advanced money oriented countries. However, here things are a bit different. Not better, not worse, just different.
It is true Ecuadorians work often harder than gringoes, yet following your line of thought, think an urgent situation in which a client requires extended service beyond regular working hours. An Ecuadorian will certainly prioritize time off (for onself and family) over client needs. He/she will likely drop everything at work until the next ocassion, no matter how critical the client problem is.
Furthermore, think a critical client request versus a critical family request both originated during working hours...duty goes to the family. No valid claims to proceed otherwise.

Thanks for the update on spanish grammar.  Since I'm new to this site and can't seem to change my username I think I will take a few moments to create a new account calling myself "GringoBueno" or "ElGringoBueno" before I submit any future posts. 

As for your input on the cultural differences regarding time, it is a mixed blessing in my case.  I am a Type A personality by nature and so patience hasn't always come easily to me.  On the other side of the coin, I'm committed to making the change and have shown considerable progress over the past couple of years and life in Ecuador will hopefully make it easier to slow down even more.

Carlos  aka "El Gringo Bueno"
   [email protected]

Thanks for the update on spanish grammar!  Since I couldn't change my username I have created a new profile "GringoBueno" ... {hey, I'm just getting started with this adventure and might as well "get off on the right foot" as they say}

Carlos  aka  El "GringoBueno"
   [email protected]

PS  Had to use a different email address to set up the new profile.

PPS  I've added the southern coastal region to my short list of possible place to relocate.

Found your blog interesting. I'm here in Mississauga,(outside of Toronto) and planning on moving to ecuador the first week of November. My original plan was to move to Quito and then someone suggested Cuenca. My main concern is the cost of apartments. I'm retired and trying to survive in Canada is a joke. I'm working at present, so the CPP is a bonus.
Another concern for me is the crime rate there. I have been to Quito 6 times and travel to Guaranda & Chillanes thru the mountains
so that presents a concern re: robbery while travelling.
.Anyway, any comments from you would be welcome.
greg Holt
[email protected]

Just excersice common sense like avoid flashing jewlery, expensive phones, ipads, ipods and the like "i's" as well as never leave belongings unattended and you will be just fine.
Think that with a minimun salary of US$ 319/month, lots of said items are completely out of reach for many Ecuadorians and are therefore easily re-sold as used in a black market.
Good luck!

bbrjhn wrote:
fdmcg wrote:
Luna2 wrote:

Why doesnt anyone talk about the North coast of Ecuador?

Am 78. Don't like hot? Temps there?  Humidity?
Can one rent a half-decent place for $300?
My social sec'y is only $1005 a month.
Internet?
Are there any fishing villages there?
Do not like cities.
Am not interested in tourists.
I'm attorney-turned-author.
Live like a hermit.

There have been a lot of problems on the north coast with bands of armed robbers, mainly from Colombia. I was beaten and robbed in 2010 by a band of about 15. They robbed 22 hotels but I was the only one who filed a report. When I went to all of the others trying to get them involved I was told the robbers held guns to their childrens heads, beat some of their guests and told many that if they filed reports they would return and kill their families. Some of the Cantons, like Rio Verde have posted directly on their website that right now there is a problem with bands from Colombia to warn people. It's not widely advertised because many people are afraid to speak up. There are some good places to live down in Sua and Atacames. You just need to make sure it's a secure location and always be aware. For your answers. The weather is nice, cool breezes come in during the hottest part of the day (noon-3:00), apts can be found for $300 off the beach, Internet is almost everywhere and internet cafes can be found in every town, Rio Verde is a fishing Village on the north coast of Esmeraldas but along the beaches in Atacames (the south coast of Esmeraldas) you'll also find fishermen who go out, You can pay them $5 and go with them. Want to live like a hermit...I would suggest going to Canoa. It's safer, simple and quiet except for Carnaval and holidays.

Thank you Ecuachick54, first time I heard of this, surprised Luna2, Northern Coast Expert, had not mentioned it previously.

mugtech wrote:

Thank you Ecuachick54, first time I heard of this, surprised Luna2, Northern Coast Expert, had not mentioned it previously.

I guess that rules Ecuachick54 out from getting a job with International Living?