Soon in Sao Paulo

Hi!

I am from Finland and planning to move SP in August and I do not know much about the city. I have been visiting there once only few days and moving there is really a jump for unknown.

So I would appreciate all tips and especially suggestions for areas to live etc. It would be nice to hear your experiences of living there, all good and bad ones.

Hopefully I will get also a few contacts or friends here before I move. It would nice to know someone before you move to other side of the world :)

- Tania

Hello Tania,

Welcome to Expat-blog! You will really love living in São Paulo I am sure, there is so much to see and do here.

Are you coming here to work, or will you be looking for a job after you arrive? Where one works usually dictates where they prefer to live. Areas like Jardins, Itaim Bibi, Pinheiros, Moema and Paulista are the most sought after by expats. However, there are other neighborhoods farther removed from the city center that are quite nice and have much cheaper rents.

If you haven't done so already you should read my posts "A Gringo's Survival Guide to Brazil" and "The High Cost of Living in São Paulo and How to Economize" you will find much of the information you are looking for there.

It will probably be more difficult to build a circle of English speaking friends than a circle of Brazilian friends. São Paulo is a place where foreigners can make friends very easily. Joining Expat-blog is your first step in building that social circle of English speaking friends, it is an excellent start. No doubt you will get lots of responses here so you can pick and choose.

If there is any other information you need please feel free to ask me.

Regards,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator

I to will be moving to SP around the same timeframe and have found these forums to be very helpful and full of information.
I have a daughter that is Brazilian-American and she and her mother are going to be moving as well.
I am doing as much research as I can on the areas that I may decide to move to and I am relying on her mothers boyfriend to assist.(My ex wife and I are still very close).
Mr. Woodwards post was very helpful in giving a good idea as to what to expect and how to get through the Brazilian "red tape".
I am excited at the opportunity and would love feedback from anyone that is there.

Curtis

Hey everyone,

I am also new in Sao Paulo, but in 4 months I moved 3 times. Now, I found a good place and I intend to stay there longer.

So, if anyone needs help, just get in touch with me. My personal email is [email protected].

See you guys soon in Brazil :-)

Hi Tania

I know how you feel as I was in your shoes not 5 months ago. I too made my first visit here in November 2010 for a month and then arrived here last August to stay. Despite having my then fiance here, it was still pretty scary and I didn't know exactly what to expect since I wasn't able to speak Portuguese. But there's something about this city that somehow grows on you rather quickly and before you know it, you'll feel right at home.

I live in downtown Sao Paulo where the infamous Crackolandia use to stand (it has since been demolished since New Year's day), so I guess next to living in a favela, living here was pretty scary. Got mugged the first month after arriving but after the inital shock, I told myself that this happens in a lot of countries and it's not just in Brazil. You just need to be careful about carrying too much cash and fancy stuff and well.. just be careful.. very very very careful with your belongings. I practice the same caution in all my travels even Europe. So just be aware and keep your eyes open all the times.

If you're planning to move around alot, having a car is pretty expensive so I would advice you to live in area's close to the train or Metro Lines. Rent may be a little more expensive but it helps if you want to go around fast and efficiently. Where to live also depends on your budget as there are places that range from 700 reais for a 1 bedroom flat to 2000 reais a month also for a 1 bedroom.

After moving here, I realized how much people like to walk. It's practical seeing that traffic is hectic and if you're in the city.. everything is somewhat walkable (that is if you don't mind walking between 1 to 3km on an average. Oh! Bring a few good pairs of walking shoes or sneakers.. they come in handy and are rather expensive here.

I would love to share my experience and give you some tips... and as Betty says... give us a buzz when you're here or feel free to send us a message if you want more details.

Cheers