Where in the world has work taken you to?

.. or you have taken your work!

Have you moved countries for a job?

What made you 'make your mind up', pack, and go?!

I have worked in New Zealand, Australia, Papua New guinea, Western Samoa,Indonesia, Laos,Afghanistan, South Sudan,Mongolia,Ethiopia.
I enjoy the challenge of working in a new country, new environment.

@stupmy - Thanks for your post - Whats the profession then, that has taken you to all corners!!!

I am in the civil construction industry. Roads, bridges, dams, mining etc.

Do you always find a job before the move or do you move and then find a job?

Have a new job organised before I move. Not possible to just rock up anywhere and expect to find a job.

GabyGN wrote:

Where in the world has work taken you to, or you have taken your work!

Mostly around Asia (see my signature). I like Asia and working with Asians.

GabyGN wrote:

Have you moved countries for a job?

We all have to work to make a living. So since travel cannot give me the insight I want of a place, I usually work there for a while.

GabyGN wrote:

What made you 'make your mind up', pack, and go?!

Adventurousness, and taking up the opportunities as they come along.

@beppi & @stumpy- How many languages do you speak?

2 fluent and 3 more basic knowledge

I speak Lao, Thai, Indonesian,PNG pidgin,and English of course.

Also enough Vietnamese, Mongolian, Ethiopian and Swahili to get a meal, a beer and a bed.

My jobs had made me to travel almost half of the world. Sometimes out of compulsion and some time with a spirit of adventure. I started from Uganda, then Qatar, then Kenya, then Fiji and now I am in Tanzania.

@sjg01 - have you had to relocate or have they been rather shorter trips?

What's the industry?

Work has taken me to Bahrain :)

Hi GabyGN ... Thanks for your post, I think its going to be one of the hot topics of discussion in the Forum.

Well, After some years in Qatar, here I'm in Bahrain and don't know yet what's next ;) but will see ... All is part of the trip of life, the most important thing is to try your best to enjoy it wherever you are :)

Regards,

hi, Sometimes while doing job you have to move from a place to another place,i was shifted to new york and then California due to my work.

I have worked in my home country the Philippines for a couple of years, but most of the time, in my entire career as an IT consultant, I move around a lot. I have worked in Malaysia, then in Denmark , had short assignments in Netherlands and Sweden(just a few weeks though) and now , I am here in Singapore.

I just love this adventure despite the challenges that you have to face. The whole experience has broadened my horizon professionally and it has contributed a lot on my personal growth. :-)

I am a nurse and i am from philippines, my work has taken me to 2 countries in middle east which is saudi and qatar and now in UK.

From 2000 up to the present, from the Philippines, my HR (Recruitment, OD, Talent & Performance Management, HRIS) work has brought me to Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, India, China, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kenya, South Africa, Dubai, Oman, Germany, Holland, Belgium & France.

Currently my family and I reside in Saudi Arabia. (NOMADS are us!) lol!

I agree with Robotman, home is where you make it ... Cheers!

Live your expat project without any stress thanks to advice from expats

OR