Are dogs tolerated in Marrakech

Hi there,
I'm Australian and have been living in Zanzibar for 10 years.  I have 2 little dogs that I want to move with me to Marrakech, but I'm wondering what the attitude of the locals is towards dogs.  i have a feeling it may be similar to here, which I'm not happy about because dogs are not well tolerated.  I'm also wondering about pet facilities such as grooming parlours (if they exist there) and good vets.  Moving without my 2 pet dogs is not an option, so I'm hoping Marrakech is going to be suitable.  I'm not even sure what housing arrangements there are there, as they will require a small garden.  If anyone can help me on this subject I'd really appreciate.  Christine.

I believe dogs are tolerated in Marrakech. a far as housing arrangements. You need to be more specific. many foregneirs get the wrong idea about cost of rent or of buying a house, real estate in general. no as cheap as some would think.

if anyone knows of a riad in a central area that may be for sale, that has potential to be beautiful and rentable to tourists, I'd be keen to know about it.  i don't mind if it needs restoration.   Ideally I'd like something with 4 bedrooms and the possibility of making them all ensuite.

Here's a link that sums it all. click on the video "house hunters part 1"  how an Englishmen and his family went about buying a Riad in Marrakech.
marrakech.uk.com/#/media-video-clips/4532958218

Hi there,
I live in Marrakech and also have a dog. Dogs are tolerated as far as i have experienced and there are quite a few around too. Im sure if you looked into housing you would have no problems finding a garden. The vet that we have is very good so no problems there, but i dont know if there are any pet parlours here as i havent looked into this myself.
I hope this is of some use to you.
Paula

Hi there,
Dogs are tolerated as far as i have experienced and there are quite a few around too.

hi
i live in marrakech and have 2 small dogs   no problem at all

there are plenty of good vets  here  and thru out morocco
cheers

hello aussie
i have been working here for the last three years, and although lost of expats have dogs , you will have to be careful. my ex roommate has 6 cats , and they seem to not suffer as much as the dogs in this country. they consider them dirty and have no affection whatsoever towards them, you will just have to be aware and careful. there are no great vets here, but i will get the names of two i heard good stories about, for you if you need them. you will have to look for a house or a flat with a small garden in gueliz or targa for exemple,just keep in mind that if you dogs bark , it will be better to keep them indoors when you are not at home ( there are stories of poisened food thrown over the fences.. sorry but we lost two dogs this way here... otherwise i believe the situation is similar to most musilm countries in the maghreb, you can bring your dogs to restaurants in general and also in the medina, but i think its not very wise, regarding the amount of mopeds ..
i hope i havent scared you, feel free to ask any questions you might have , if i dont know i wont pretend.
cordially
ps: is zanzibar really being taken over by its past inhabitants from the middle east ? thats what i heard ...

O  i think that reply is a little drastic 

there are excellant vets here  and i have been here for many years without a problem
of course you must be aware of your dogs when in the street but that is normal everywhere  o my goodness  a little harsh dont you think

and one more thing  all my neigbours are moroccan no i do not live in the medina  and they all have dogs  who i might add are very very well loved and taken care of

u have really set a incorrect bad example gany47

i just red some of your answers and understand you are looking for a riad to renovate.... its my field ... the economy has slowed down very very seriously, just it might be a very good time if you have the cash to buy a renovated one ( no need to go through the major headaches of supervising the 2/3 years time it takes to open after a renovation / more a reconstruction in fact ) the minimum legal # of rooms is 4 but 5 might be a better figure. keep in mind that although a lot of riad owners are desperate to sell, they often stick to prices from two years ago, mainly because a  lot financed and spent a large amount of money, and wont accept the reality of today' s market. my personal opinion is we lost 40%  in average sales since last april
its still a great business potentialy but europe is the main source of customers, and most will look for deals and room around 45/65 euros, and only very few real deluxe will fill the special niches.
most of the riads between 100 and 200 euros have SSSerious problems to keep their staff and pay the bills.
i hope you will find this helpful , and i wish you the best of luck. cordially
gany47

hello kaan
you disagree with my testimony.. fine , and  i am glad you havent witnessed any misbehavior in
kenitra, i suppose i came across too harsh , its due to my poisoned dogs in my douar, and to the numerous cats i have to feed or look after dying in the derbs in the medina. its true that a lot of people have dogs in their homes and seem to care about them, but unfortunately in marrakech, i think a dog's life doesnt count much.
so dear aussie girl, dont listen to me , kaan seems to have better understanding of a dog's realities here.
have a good day kaan
gany47

I am in marrakech gany

oops, i havnt found a good vet so far , so if you wish to share yours... it would be greatly appreciated.

clinic veterinaire du gharb  dr l tahiri  0537374096
clinuc veterinaire targa   dr bourhila adil 0524392195
I live in bouakkaz  marrakech  not gueliz or targa

i dont know either of them. i will try them. thanks