Giant Supermarket in Phu My Hung

So I was in the Giant supermarket at the Cresent Mall in HCMC's District 7. It was opened just a few days ago. Large store: over 3,500 square meters. The store seems to be quite good with large selection of fresh fruits, vegetables, meat and dry food.
Definitely want to come back there, even I live quite far away.

What I would like to ask for your confirmation is their claim: "The leading low price leader in Vietnam"

Is it true based on your knowledge? A spot check based a few products I know, their price seems ok.

What is your opinion?

If you had gven intersecting street names it would have been helpful.

I have a friend who part-times as a price surveyor for some foreign outfit and he simply loves new locations.

The Co-op Mart in PMY is a filthy dump. They have sewage water leaking out of the back of the building, exposed three-phase wires (high voltage) and they store foodstuffs in a shed where te rats get to roam free.

The Lotte Mart in Q7 is huge, but their prices are about 10% higher than Co-op Mart. The Lotte is huge, at least you get a weeks worth of exercise, but the variety of goods is very poor. They have a lot of a small variety of goods.

I only buy meat, fish and vegetables from Lotte and then I use the Lotte in Q11 (Chinatown). Lotte meat and fish departments look just like those you see in Western countries - except for the pink lights they use to enhance the appearance of the meat.

Co-op Mart fish and meat departments stink and if you get there you can see meat and fish being delivered in baskets on the back of motorcycles, wide open to the air and flies.

Jaitch
You find the location here.
It is opposite the Parkson Paragon.

http://www.the-crescent.com/tro-ve-trang-chu/dia-diem

I'll be interested to know what yours and your friend's opinion about the price (as well as quality).

So it's just off Nguyen Van Linh and has a huge intersection nearby. I don't think the residents of Binh Chanh Ward (either Thanh or Chanh) will like to be told they are living in over-rated PMH!

My friend is down to Nha Trang in his latest price survey so he will be around next week.

I will take my mini-video cam over and check out the key prices,

I heard of this new supermarket. I live in D2 and I usually go to Metro or local markets . Is there a big difference of price with Metro? I think I will go and look with my family next week. Thank you for sharing info.

For people who don't know, the German owned METRO chain are actually wholesale distributors.

To gain access you need a personalised picture membership card.

Anyone possessing a VAT licence in their own name, or an employee of a person/company having a VAT tax licence can join.

They are best compared to Big Box companies in North America. You can't buy a carton of milk, you have to buy a case of cartons of milk. They sell liquor in single bottles and even sell motorcycles.

They have warehouses at least as far north as Da Nang.

@Jaitch, all your previous post have been very accurate and informative, but I think your missing the mark on this one concerning the Metro store. As I can only speak for the ones in Can Tho (which I've been using for over 5 years) and a few trips up to the ones in Saigon maybe there has been changes your not aware of. First on the membership. That information is correct but it's not the only way to shop their. If you are holder of a foreign passport you can get a temp card for one day of shopping, or upon request a 1 month temp card. I don't meet the requiremts for a long term membership card, but I still renew my temp card every month. As far as small purchases, again I can only speak for the Metro stores that I use, but except for the irritating practice they have of taping like items together to boost sales on some products I've never had a problem of only purchasing for example, 1 bag of chicken (1KG), two packs of butter, a case of Budweiser and a loaf of bread.