Is it just a dream ?

I'm 28 year old. Finishing a master degree in arts/cinema.
Speak french ( native ) and english ( pretty well ).

I'm a photographer, and cineast.
I'm a professionnal wine taster.
I'm an online teacher at a Montreal's college ( online classes on webcam ).

I don't have loose money.

Is it a dream, to think I could dramatically change my life and go live in Greece ? Is it possible ?

I don't like the America, I really don't like Canada; for many reasons.

And I totally love Greece. Went once, on a photograpy trip with UQAM university...

Again... is it possible ? Do I have to be a sectorial professionnal ( lets say, banker, internationnal commerce.. ), or can I find my way in the freelance photography, vineyards or else...

And most of all, is it possible to live on small islands like Naxos ? Is it too expensive ? Is it possible to freelance on a small island like this ( with tourism.. ) ?

That's a lot of questions.. thanks for your replies :)

Martin

Hi Martin!

Welcome to Expat.com and thanks for this introduction ;)

Armand

Hello Martin,

I don't have a lot of information on these subjects, photography, vineyards etc, but you should definitely consider that this is a rough time for Greece, many people have bachelors and masters and many skills and they just don't find jobs. The truth, however, is that most people are trying to find jobs on their subject of studies, and that's where the difficulty is. So I can't guarantee to you that you will find a relevant job.
But if you want it very very much, I will tell you that it is possible. It's a pity to be there if you don't like it there.It depends a lot on you of course and the sacrificies that you are willing to make. I think that, after a lot of researching, you should take another step :)
I don't know if Naxos is expensive. But some times in smaller areas you have more opportunities than in the capital. It depends on the job that you're searching for of course. Sorry that I can't give you more info :)

Hi Martin,
   I live in Athens and i advice you to reconsider your decision coming in Greece. I don't know your economy status but here you will find a job very difficult. There are no opportunities for young people. A lot of people leave Greece and go abroad in order to have a better life.
  In my opinion you should have a trip to Greece in order to see by yourself the poor situation and then you will have a better idea for all the moving theme.
Good luck!

Hi Martin,
   My husband and I moved to Kalamata, Greece after a few years of preparation.  We came a few times before and loved it, so we planned the next few years up to our actual move (which was this January).  We were living in Singapore and found Kalamata to be the right place to start our family.  My husband is a Greek from Cyprus and I'm from the Philippines.  I should tell you, it is most important that you have finances that are both a) coming from overseas, and b) in overseas banks.  You do not want to depend on the tiny chance you will find a source of income in Greece.  Now, since you're teaching online, I believe it will not be difficult for you to do so.  For residency purposes, you may have to find a small source of income here in some way.  Now, for the good stuff: Greece is wonderful for many things.  The people we've met so far are the kindest ever.  The country is unspeakably beautiful.  I know everyone says the exact opposite, but to us, our expenses in Greece are about a quarter of what we used to spend, no kidding.  Of course, you need to learn the language if you really want to live the way the Greeks do.  It is possible to change your lifestyle, it is possible to dream, and yes, the dream can come true - if you prepare for it.  Good luck!

I know everyone must think you're crazy at this point in time to move to Greece, but guess what, so were we.  And it was NOT crazy, it was planned, and it all went well.  Hope it goes well for you too.

Hello Martin!
  I was born and live in Greece and i will tell you that i am planning very very seriously to move out of here..I 've no idea about your thing you searching but i still believe things in another country out of Greece is much better..Yes Greece has many beautifull places and islands,very good nightlife,weather and friendly people but there aren;t chances here for young people so meaning no jobs=no life :/ .Imagine my future here is blocked so that's why i wanna move out..However,thing it better before u move to Greece.Wonderfull places - sad life .This is my opinion and I don't wanna be affected to anyone.

Friendly,Joanna.

Well, what can I say?
Everyone has their own story of course and yes, it's hard here at the moment, but we have a photography shop, we're a photographer and a writer and though we don't have any money, we don't have any debts either. Heads are just about above water at the moment, and we love it here in Greece.

We came to live on Symi 10 years ago, we started our own photography business eight years ago and it is still alive. Symi is pretty expensive compared to other islands and the mainland, we're told, so you must be prepared to work hard or have saved. We came for one year with enough money to see us through six months then got jobs in shops working nine hours a day for seven days a week for seven months and had just enough saved at the end of that to get through one more winter without work. But there are two of us. On my own at that time I probably could not have afforded to stay here. And now of course there are probably less jobs about.

But at the end of all that, living in Greece was our dream, we're still living that dream, and if you want to you will go for it.

After all, you only fail if you don't try!

All the best and I hope you make the leap of faith.

James