Shall I do it.

Hello everybody,
                I can retire from work in March 2013 , I am currently looking at QUROPS pension transfer etc (what a mine field !!!).Does anybody understand this , I don't .
               I am looking at renting in the Lefkas area , would like Corfu but looks expensive . I will be interested in buying after I've had a good look round. I will be moving out on my own initially later followed by my partner . Can anybody give advice on banking , renting property etc.
                I am in to sailing in a big way , our long term plan is to buy a big yacht and do all inclusive hols , this will hopefully be in about 12 months time.
              Can anybody give advice on posible pitfalls etc, any contacts would be appreciated property jobs etc.

I love Greece , its people and culture.I am looking forward to the move but I am watching to recent developments with some trepidation  , Can anybody help , whats it like living in Greece during the current troubles , we have the same trouble in the UK , at least you have the sun !!!

Regards,

Paul Thurman.

Hi Paul.

We've lived in Corfu for 18 months through the recent turmoil. The only problem we've encountered was when the ferries went on strike for about one week and supplies of fresh food disappeared from the supermarkets. BUT the small local shops were still selling local produce and it spurred us on to buy local rather than things flown in from around the world. We rent at the moment and see that rental prices are falling, but the prices for buying are staying steady. It's worth visiting some of the real estate companies' websites - they might tell a different story. We find this forum to be very useful agni.gr/message_boards/default.asp

As far as your yachting holidays are concerned - check up the requirements for certification - I believe the Greek authorities will accept British certification from the RYA.

If you run a business here you'll be required to pay into the greek Health System so you will have cover - they've just opened the new hospital on Corfu and it is getting excellent reports.

Hope all this helps a little.

Rob