Best location in Thailand to live

Hi All,

The cold here -4 and the cold is getting to me so I am looking at moving to a warmer climate,, So far it down to Fiji or Thailand.
I have only been to Thailand once loved the people and the climate, Would love to live close to a beach but in a reasonable priced area.
Would be great if the area you suggest is poplar with other Expates, At  the moment we have no idear what area to start looking in???

Many Thanks

Graham:)
New Zealand

I actually live in Bangkok but will probably retire in Mukdahan where I have a house. It is next to the Mekong river with a bridge going to Laos and 200 km further down the road, Vietnam.
And it has nice cool temperatures from December to Feb (well cool means it can go down to 15 °C during the night. Here it is...
http://www.farangrakthai.com/frt/mukdahan.aspx

It really depends on the lifestyle you are seeking. If you want a quiet place near a beach you might best avoid the regular tourist choices of Phuket and Pattaya. These are among the most expensive places in Thailand to live and, even if you are an expat, you will be an easy target to be ripped off by those who think you are a tourist.

Thailand has hundreds and hundreds of kilometres of coastline and many beach communities. Come, hire a car, and explore some of these and make your decision carefully. Many are in Gulf of Thailand provinces not too far from Bangkok, which is a major advantage.

Also, be sure to find a place to live where you are not the only foreigner. Thailand may be safe, but there is a perception that all foreigners are wealthy and the homes of foreigners can be easy targets for theft.

If you are in a place where there are no foreigners, nothing will happen to you.
If you are in a place where there are many foreigners, you're usually fair game

minefield wrote:

Hi All,

The cold here -4 and the cold is getting to me so I am looking at moving to a warmer climate,, So far it down to Fiji or Thailand.
I have only been to Thailand once loved the people and the climate, Would love to live close to a beach but in a reasonable priced area.
Would be great if the area you suggest is poplar with other Expates, At  the moment we have no idear what area to start looking in???

Many Thanks

Graham:)
New Zealand

hello Graham, i am dan, Bagman on this site.  have been to Thailand 21 times since 1984 very young 60 yr. old and will be moving to Thailand soon.  Never been to Fiji, but i do know that you can find fairly inexpensive rent in beach areas.  Bangkok is most expensive city in Thailand.  I am on Disability and receive only 870.00 u.s. p/month due to a health problem that prevents me from working.  i plan on going in january, multi entry visa and do border runs the rest of my life. i have had it here in San Francisco, my heart is and has always been in Thailand, never should have left.  Get to know some Thai people, i did and got an apt. for 80 bucks in bangkok, but i want a beach scene too, good luck.  maybe we will meet in the beach and have a mythai!!!!!!!!!bagman good luck

CAN ANYONE HELP ME.  60 YRS OLD VERY FAMILIAR WITH THAILAND.  WANT TO MOVE THERE I AM ON DISABILITY. KICK BUTT MIGRAINES.  I WANT TO KNOW IF WITH AN MULTI-ENTRY VISA IS IT GOING TO BE DIFFICULT FOR ME TO STAY IN THAILAND...RETIRE THERE.  LOVE IT IS ANYONE IN A SIMILAR POSITION.  I KNOW I CAN MAKE IT ON 870.00 PER MONTH 'CAUSE I KNOW MY WAY AROUND THERE.  ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED AND HAVE FUN. LIFE IS SHORT.  BAGMAN(DAN)