Aberdeen Meetup

So, apparently there are over 120 nationalities in Aberdeen alone.  There's over 25 just on Expat.com alone....  I'm looking at arranging a monthly, informal meetup, where newcomers and old hands can exchange thoughts, share experiences and just make the daunting prospect of life in a new town, that bit easier....

Interested in gauging whether you see value in a group like this?  What would make it extra appealing?  What would send you running to the next event?  What would send you running away from the next event? 

Look forward to hearing all and everyone's thoughts :)

Thank you!
Jo

Hi and welcome to Expat.com JoleneP!

That's a great idea. We could stick to the topic on the forum for better visibility.
Meanwhile i moved your message to the Aberdeen forum ;)

Regards
Armand

Hey Jolene P, I am a Brit, was working in South Africa for 5 years, back to England for 2 years then just back from Saudi Arabia after 2 years and find myself in Scotland, Aberdeen - which in so many ways although I am British, this can be a totally separate Country to England!  How did your meet up go, have you arranged anything yet?  I would be interested to meet up and share what I am learning here in Aberdeen.  We live in the Countryside so having quite a lovely rural experience away from the City.

Hello My name is Roelene and im from South Africa, Cape Town, i now live here and would love to get together with others. Please let me know when you would like to do this.
Here is my email address: roelenecarleton@hotmail.co.uk
Kind regards
Roelene

Hey, when is the next Aberdeen meet-up planned?  BTW, I joined the Woodend Barn in Banchory, they have a range of events there, a broad range from classical to modern music and bands.  Also they have a fantastic restaurant at the Barn called the Buchanan, check it out on Trip Advisor.  The cafe there is very friendly, with books to read, coffee lounging, great food and a really relaxed atmosphere.  It is only 20 mins out of Aberdeen and a real treat to get you out of town.

Hi everyone,

I'm not in Aberdeen at the moment, but I will be moving in September to attend University of Aberdeen. I'd love to get together with fellow expatriates to make the transition easier. Could we possibly create a facebook page for meetups? Invite can be sent out quite easily that way and it seems like a great tool for us all to get to know one another.

We could arrange a meet-up at the Soprano's, Guild Street (by the train station), it's a nice bar and great atmosphere (if your hungry the food is great).  Who would be interested to meet up?  Setting up a fb page is a great idea :top:  Will do that once I got an idea of numbers interested?  Responses please ....

gowiththeflowUK wrote:

We could arrange a meet-up at the Soprano's, Guild Street (by the train station), it's a nice bar and great atmosphere (if your hungry the food is great).  Who would be interested to meet up?  Setting up a fb page is a great idea :top:  Will do that once I got an idea of numbers interested?  Responses please ....

Ooops!  Just realised I am stealing JoleneP's thunder here, sorry Jolene, I got carried away :dumbom: This was your idea.  Please take this on from here, noting I am keen to be involved and assist in any way necessary.  Please let me know :)

JoleneP wrote:

So, apparently there are over 120 nationalities in Aberdeen alone.  There's over 25 just on Expat.com alone....  I'm looking at arranging a monthly, informal meetup, where newcomers and old hands can exchange thoughts, share experiences and just make the daunting prospect of life in a new town, that bit easier....

Interested in gauging whether you see value in a group like this?  What would make it extra appealing?  What would send you running to the next event?  What would send you running away from the next event? 

Look forward to hearing all and everyone's thoughts :)

Thank you!
Jo

Hi Jolene, please note responses in the thread for your response, thanks