Cost of Living in Mumbai, India. 2009

I am a Spanish girl, 30 years old. Planing to move to Mumbay. I have a job offer to be a professor there, they offer me 110.00 INR per month. Do you think I could live there with that money?
Is it safe for a woman living and moving in Mumbai?

I need your help!!

Thank you

Hi there. I'm confused about about how much they're paying you. You can't mean 110.00 to be one hundred and ten rupees. Do you mean eleven thousand rupees? (11,000).  If so, you will find it quite difficult to live in Mumbai on only that amount of money. You'll have to live a very simple life in shared accommodation in a suburb.  I've been living in Mumbai for a year and half and find it to be quite safe. I've never felt threatened at all. Hope this helps. :)

Life in Mumbai can be very tough. I am Indian but am having a very difficult time settling here in Bombay . Its just too much of a hustle and bustle for me.

If they are paying you anything less than 70,000 rupees per month, you should refuse.

However If they ARE paying you upwards of 70,000 then Bombay can be quite amusing and fun...there are places you can't find anywhere, in such a case I advise you to grab the offer.

Hi there. I'm confused about about how much they're paying you. You can't mean 110.00 to be one hundred and ten rupees.

Do you mean eleven thousand rupees? Rupees 11,000/- .  If so, you will find it quite difficult to live in Mumbai. You'll have to live a very simple life in shared accommodation  though it is not possible to get  in  suburb. However If they are paying you Rupees 50,000 or more then Bombay can be quite amusing and fun...there are places you can't find anywhere, in such a case I advise you to grab the offer.

I've been living in Mumbai for 9 years  and find it to be quite safe. In India, specially in Bombay ( Mumbai)people are quite helpful and the administration is strong enough.

Life in Mumbai is very tough. I am Indian but am having a very difficult time settling here in Bombay . Its just too much of a hustle and bustle for me.

Hope this helps you.

How much would executive apartment cost (3 bedrooms)?

hi,
     as a language expert you can get jobs in bangalore, which can pay you around 60,000 - 70, 000 INR. A hi-fi housing will cost you 12,000 + another 10,000 for food and travel...wud u be interested?

regards,
derrick

PPl I think she is been offered Rs. 1,10,000 /- (one lac ten thousand. which is more than sufficient for Mumbai and running a house abroad.

Dear maestra,
Mumbai is very very safe.dont worry on that count.
It is probably the only city which sleeps late & gets up early.There are many spanish teachers who have been to Mumbai in the past & two of them are currently in Mumbai.I know a teacher who had stayed in Mumbai & pune for over 2 years and is now back in Spain.She is originaly from Malaga.

As regards the money required for having a decent
living would be Rs. 20,000/upwards.
I try to give the breakup as under.
1 bedroom + Hall + Kitchen +Washrooms and may be a balcony included would cost you Rs. 12,000/-month in some suburbs.
The food should cost Rs. 8000/-month
The cerveza and tapas would cost ________. I leave that to your imagination& your likes & dislikes. Travel is cheap.
Mumbai is a place where you can easily land up with a job if you can read write & speak Espanol. Such a job will compensate you to the tune of 35-40,000 and more.
But if your heart is in teaching then you can take that up with private institutes also.The translation & interpretation jobs are also available in Mumbai & Banglore.As incharge of quality or training you can land up with income of 50000/month with companies such as TCS.
You should get in touch with espanolas who are in Mumbai currently & the ones who have gone back after staying in Mumbai.I can give you the e-mails of at least 2 teachers who were here.

I also know that 2 reputed colleges(Institutes) who are currently looking for Spanish teacher
I suggest you check the internet for spanish language jobs in Mumbai on indeed.com or naukari com to get more confidence.
In case you require assistance please feel free to send me a mail & I shall be happy to offer my assistance.

Arthand

Hi all,

I arrived in Mumbai a few days ago, and the appartment my company provided to me is really bad. I am looking to relocate somewhere in in downtown mumbai, and as I do not know anybody in the city yet, I was wondering if you had any tips or people within your networks who are looking for a flatmate.
Best,

Hi Cosmej! You should post in the Bombay classifieds > accommodation.

Good luck!