French trip

Is 550 euros good enough for 10 day trip to France, doing Paris-Lyon-Toulouse-Paris? As cheap as possible.

Hi there to be honest you would be struggling if this was to include food, entertainment and accommodation. More like 1000 euros to be honest. I have a house in France and recently moved to Mumbai....you can check out my blog if interested.

Struggling? Like how? Many other French people told me that it's good enough money (after tickets) if you want cheap accomodation and food. Which is exactly i'll be doing.

What you say now?

Well be prepared for the fact that France is an expensive country so that amount will not get you what you could get in India for the same amount...cheap will be cheap....and very basic. You are allowing yourself a budget of 50 euros per day for accomodation and food. Well accommodation will be 25 euros in the cheapest backpacker. That will then leave you 30 euros divided by 3 meals...10 euros per meal. A coca cola is 3 euros mate...and a sandwhich about 5 euros. You'll be able to sleep and eat....nothing more.

And forget a beer...they're 4 euros a pop. You'd be able to have 2 beers and NO food for one of your meals...wow that'll be fun! Save a bit more and make your trip a bit more comfortable you'll really be scrimping and if anything goes wrong you'd be in trouble. How do you plan on travelling around those cities while there? Trains and buses are 2 or 3 euros per trip...ooops there goes another meal if you want to get from one side of Paris to the other. I'm just saying that you are dreaming of doing Paris on a budget of 50 euros a day including food, beverages, accomodation and public transport.

hmmmm...I think you're right. The entire break-up that you have given me is pretty helpful to understand better that 50 euro per day will surely be short.

Well, I was planning on seeing Paris, while being in Paris by bus or other public transport. Not taxi for sure. And was planning to do Paris-Lyon-Toulouse by train.

How much money do you think will be good enough if not too much?

I think a realistic daily budget would be around 85 euros per day for food, accomodation, public transport (buses and trains) and entertainment (museum entry etc) and food (3 meals a day)...

Then travel between cities like Paris-Lyon-Toulouse-Paris on a train would be about 50 euros per leg/sector of journey...For example: Paris to Lyon-50 euros...Lyon to Toulouse: 40 euro...Toulouse to Paris: 70 euros.

Hope this is helpful better to be prepared than in trouble!

As I said...Europe is expensive!!!!!
New Zealand and Australia might be more reasonable!!!

Thank you so much for the detailed info. I think I can manage 85 euros a day and by the time i'll be leaving (April 2012) I would have saved enough.

Anyways, do u write a blog or something like that? And what exactly are you doing in Mumbai.

Once again thanks for the info.

Cheers
Kapoor

No worries I would have just hated you to get there and then be miserable and unprepared! yes check out my blog it is pretty funny!
http://queenofthesuburbs.blogspot.com or click on my name or profile for more details!~
And don't forget to learn some french words-have fun!!!
Au revoir Queenie

I don' t know , haven' t been in my native Europe 17 years

No problem, Queenie has already helped me out with this :)

perfect

Hi,
I'm french and I can say that France is realy expensive, you can found food for cheap but you have to know how it's working like in India !
do you know couchsurfing.org ? it's working very well, like this, you can found a accomodation for nothing and meet friends !
If you need, I have some friends in Lyon and Grenoble, they can help you, also for a bed !

Thats so nice of you!

Hi,

yes i tried couchsurfing, denial all the time. I guess it's just for pretty French girls.

I have a friend who is studying in Lyon (originally from Toulouse) she might be able to provide me a room in Lyon. Now, I will carry around 650 euros when I'll leave in April next year. Anyways thanks for your advise, appreciate that. Which city are you in?

Kapoor

fiore di lotus wrote:

Hi,
I'm french and I can say that France is realy expensive, you can found food for cheap but you have to know how it's working like in India !
do you know couchsurfing.org ? it's working very well, like this, you can found a accomodation for nothing and meet friends !
If you need, I have some friends in Lyon and Grenoble, they can help you, also for a bed !

I'm living in Rome, in Italy right now, since one year

550 for 10 days, it is really possible to enjoy france.
The most expensive in France is transportation. Train from Paris to Lyon is about 60 euros and overall it will cost you around 170 euros of train. you'll still have 380 euros and if you are alone, it will be difficult to find accomodation and eat good stuff.
But if you don't count on the transportation, 550  it's ok
you can find hostels in all the cities that you mentionned that will cost you around 25 euros (room shared with others in a dorm)
9 nights: 225 euros. and then you can enjoy your stay, eating in small snacks (6-10 euros).
But for sure, if you travel with a friend who has the same amount of money, you will have a better journey and more comfortable. Price of a cheap double room in a hotel (one private room) is around 45 euros.
Of course theses prices are a bit higher in Paris, as it is ...well, Paris!
If you are coming, i live in Montpellier between Lyon and Toulouse. Stop by, accomodation will be free. :) I am moving to Goa in July for one year, we could exchange too about that.

Great, thanks for your advices everyone. Appreciate it!! :)