Organize your move to Bahrain

Hi all,

we invite you to share your experience about moving to Bahrain.

Here is a list of questions which might help the ones preparing their move to Bahrain:

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Bahrain?

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Bahrain?

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Bahrain?

Thank you in advance for your participation :)

What would you bring and what would you leave behind?

I brought only clothes, laptops, hard-drives, my camera, etc., the weight restrictions with airlines meant that getting everything I owned over here was never going to happen.

Is it a good idea to bring furniture or domestic appliances?

It depends on where you're going to be living and where you're coming from.  Shipping things from abroad can be done but costs vary greatly.  If you're going to be living in an apartment then most things will be provided, however, if a villa is what you're looking for, then you will most likely have to furnish it yourself.  It is possible to find furniture and fittings second hand on expat websites when someone is leaving the country and selling things off.  Furniture is not hugely expensive, if you shop around, but it makes more sense to come here and get a fully furnished apartment for starters to save on costs.

Any foodstuffs that are banned in Bahrain?

Not sure about foodstuffs, but bringing alcohol in is limited to one bottle per person.  I've brought Irish bacon and other bacon products here without any problems.  I'm sure there is information available on the net that will tell you the do's and don't's.

Is it better to bring a car or to buy one once settled in Bahrain?

Cars can be cheap in Bahrain, depending on your requirements and there are cars for sale for 500BHD up, however, there appears to be very little mechanical sympathy given to cars in Bahrain so if purchasing, it's worth taking any car to a good garage or mechanic for a check-over to see what it will require to make good, and in my experience they all need some work. 

To rent a Nissan Sunny or a Toyota Yaris for a month costs 150BHD which is very reasonable, once you go bigger the rental price goes up. 

Any advice for the ones who are moving to Bahrain?

Be certain of your visa requirements, nothing could be worse than arriving in a country to find you can't enter it. 

Have some money in reserve for 'just-in-case' scenarios. 

Have health insurance arranged BEFORE YOU LEAVE...a recent nightmare scenario for an Irishman who bought his travel insurance after he left the country, and due to an accident that left him in need of acute care, found that the insurance company wouldn't honor the policy...READ THE FINE PRINT.

Find out exactly what you're employer is providing in terms of work visa, CPR number, wages, rent allowance, length of contract, working hours, etc., and make sure that these are adequate to sustain a reasonable lifestyle.

NEVER GIVE YOUR PASSPORT TO ANY EMPLOYER OR LANDLORD .....EVER!!!!

Make connections with people from your home country who are already living in Bahrain.  They can tell you more about the reality of living here...I have to say though, for the most part, I love it here!

Make connections with people of different backgrounds who are in Bahrain, for example through this portal.  I'm Irish and living in Bahrain and quite happy to offer any advice I can to anyone of any nationality, and I'm sure there are plenty more who are willing to help out...all you have to do is ask.

Thanks for your precious contribution Hag!

Harmonie.;)