Sending Parcels to Bahrain

As I prepare for my upcoming move to Bahrain I have multiple questions. One is about shipping personal goods to Bahrain.

We can't carry everything as luggage, but we don't have so much that it's worth using a relocation service either. We want to ship several parcels to Bahrain containing things like our child's toys (no toy guns capable of firing projectiles) and books. We also want to ship clothes and other miscellaneous things. For the amount we have, this is far more cost effective than using a relocation service.

I've read this thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280219 and still have some questions. I've also read a bit about Bahrain Customs, but I'm confused.

Can we just send parcels (multiple boxes of no more than 20 kg each) through standard post? The post office where I am now, and services like DHL and FedEx, have said they will send parcels up to 20 kg each with no problem. However, will there be any issues receiving them on the Bahrain end? Will they just be sent directly to the address listed or will there be some effort required there?

Also, I read unclear info about prohibited items. In some places I read that books, audio & video material are fine as long as they are not of immoral content. Yet in the Ministry of Interior's Customs Affairs Travel Directory it says that books, audio & video material must be declared. As I said, my child has a lot of children's books in our native language that we want to send. I also have many music CDs that I would like to bring and some DVDs too. And no, none of them are “adult content.” I'll have to list these things on the packing list. Any issues with that?

Finally, what are the currency rules when arriving in Bahrain? In most places I read that there are no restrictions or declarations required on foreign currency. However, in Ministry of Interior's Customs Affairs Travel Directory says that “It is necessary to fill the Currency Declaration Form by the passengers before departing and arriving to the Kingdom of Bahrain, bringing with them money or precious metal.” So which is it?

Thanks!

Well, if you ship it with FedEx or DHL, it should come straight to your door in Bahrain. I have used www.parcel2go.com when I was back in the UK and they arrived in Bahrain in about 4 days, straight to my place. There were harddrives, CDs, DVDs in the box and it was not an issue. However, your experience may vary. I guess it all depends on how they feel. I don't think this will be an issue.

Unless you are bringing a lot of money with you (probably more than 10,000 dollars or so), then you may have to declare it prior to your arrival. But why do you need to bring cash with you? Why don't you bring some with you and then transfer the rest when you have a bank account here?

I work for the biggest relocation company in the world so I know most of the answers. The safest way to get your stuff is to send it by courier. I don't use Fedex only because of the amount of spam emails that circulate using Fedex as an excuse to hack your pc. I use Aramex or DHL. Put an "invoice" in an envelope on the outside of the box listing the items and their value. This will help customs clear your boxes quicker. Why don't you put the money into a bank account in your home country and use internet banking or an ATM to get the rest once you are here? Once you open a Bahrain account you can transfer the money electronically, also you don't have the risk of it being lost or stolen.

Books/DVD's/CD's etc are all fine to bring.

The customs website is out of date and like everything in Bahrain will take years to be updated.

If you PM me your email address I will send you an invoice template that you can use on your packages. Also query with the couriers if you can send heavier parcels too. Some will allow it.

There is also a service we relocation companies provide which is a groupage shipment (you share the container with others) or an LCL shipment (your goods are packed in a custom made wooden crate) Both these are much cheaper than a FCL shipment.

FedEx is not responsible for those spam emails. It is the fact they are a popular courier and bound to have spam mails being sent as if FedEx sending them. Since they are a trusted brand, people who opens up those emails are likely to click on the links. Besides, spam emails has nothing to do with the quality of their service.

And I guess you mean bill of lading by invoice? You cannot put an invoice for household items. FedEx, DHL, Aramex or any other reasonable courier should be in a position to supply you these documents.

BOL is what the courier provides based on the invoice provided.  I do know my job!!

I was only referring to the amount of spam emails as a warning to ensure the email is valid before clicking on the links. You are more likely to click on a spam Fedex email if you are expecting a delivery.

An email which is not genuinely sent by FedEx is likely to fall into the spam folder anyway. I keep getting Bank of America and Lloyd's emails to my spam folder. Non of which I have an account with. :offtopic: