Diwali meet and celebrations in Shanghai

Hello guys,

Diwali (aka Deepawali) is a festival of lights in India and it symbolizes victory of good over evil. It is one of the most important festivals in India. In India we burst fireworks, visit family and friends and exchange sweets during this festival. This year Diwali falls on 26th October 2011. This would be my first Diwali outside India, away from family and friends. But I'll try to make most out of it and make new friends and celebrate it with them.

As I understand, there are quite a few Indians in Shanghai. We can take this opportunity to introduce our friends from outside India to this festival and enjoy this great festival. Let us plan something on these lines. We can either host it at your residence (Indian style) or can hire a place to celebrate it.

What say guys?

Hi Vishalk, sounds great. Can you organize a come together for Diwali. As I know it is this year on the 26th, right? I just come from Bangkok where they had a great pre-ceremony for Diwali.
Would be nice to get some Indians and other friends together. I would alos post your Gathering on ShanghaiStuff as an event. There are many Indians as well regestired. Shanghai Diwali :-)

Hi Asmus,

I would love to organize a meet. But sadly I am still in India and due to certain changes I'll have to spend a week at Guangzhou and will be able to reach Shanghai by 24-25 Oct.

It can work out if Indians already present in Shanghai come forward and do something about it. If any help is needed, I'll be available once I reach. I can devote my time once I reach till the time our meet ends. I have already ensured that I don't give appointments till 27th Oct to business associates.

Let us try to get everyone together.

Regards,

Vishal

Hello Vishal,

let me try to find out more on SHStuff. Will see if we can get some ppl together. Would be great. I just hope that I don't have to go on a business trip on that day. It is 26th evening, right? I mean, for Indians it is longer, but in case of a oneday party ...

Hey Asmus,

You are right, it is on 26th Oct evening.

I checked out SHstuff and found that there is a "Bollywood Night" on Diwali at La Flavor (537 Haifang Lu, near Xikang Lu). In worst case we can hang out there or something.

Hi

We are game. We are quite a few Indians who have just arrived to Shanghai to study and work. Pls give us contact details so we plan something really good.

Also if anyone knows about karwa chauth ceremony and is planning to do a 'pooja' in evening, pls contact me at 13166094206. I am going to keep my fist karwa chauth fast so need advise.

Regards
Swati

vishalk wrote:

Hello guys,

Diwali (aka Deepawali) is a festival of lights in India and it symbolizes victory of good over evil. It is one of the most important festivals in India. In India we burst fireworks, visit family and friends and exchange sweets during this festival. This year Diwali falls on 26th October 2011. This would be my first Diwali outside India, away from family and friends. But I'll try to make most out of it and make new friends and celebrate it with them.

As I understand, there are quite a few Indians in Shanghai. We can take this opportunity to introduce our friends from outside India to this festival and enjoy this great festival. Let us plan something on these lines. We can either host it at your residence (Indian style) or can hire a place to celebrate it.

What say guys?

Hi
We are about 14 Indians here in Rayfont hotel, yan'an road, near jingan.

Do keep us posted.

Hello Swati,

It is good to see that you are interested. Why don't you talk to your Indian friends and see how many are willing to participate. Depending on that arrangements can be made. Sadly I won't be able to arrange things as right now I am in India and will reach Shanghai by 24/25 Oct.

Most important thing is venue. If any of the members is willing to let us use their house/lawn for a party, that would be amazing. Or else you can try and scout a hall or something.

Sweets are the most important part of Diwali celebrations. Those participating can bring some home cooked sweets for everybody to taste.

For food we can contact local Indian restaurants who offer catering services.

Music of course is important, but not sure what is the scenario about playing music outdoors.

Please share your ideas.

Hi Vishal

will do that and let you know. I know some event is happening on 21st night but unfotunately you wont be here. I will keep you posted.

All of us live in service appartments so arranging venue is an issue but we will check with our hotel if they allow us to use the terrace restaurant area.

Thanks for your reply.

Swati

That would be great. And in the mean time, try to pass on the word. There are so many members from this site in Shanghai, try to involve them as well.

Hi Guys
I heard that there is a Diwali function in Shanghai on the 21st of Oct but I have been unable to get any info on the venue, entry fees etc I would be very grateful if u could kindly pass on any info u may hav.
C ya

Ok, I started a discussion on SHStuff and will see what they will coming up with. From SHStuff we have some good connections to some awesome Bars in SH. Let's see.

Hey guys,

Finally landed at Guangzhou. Got a new prepaid card. Number is 158 158 981 54.

Things got pretty interesting at Delhi, almost missed the flight.

Thanks Asmus for taking the effort to arrange a meet on Diwali.

Indian Association's Grand Diwali Ball 2011 to be held on Friday October 21st 7:30pm onward at Hilton Hongqiao hotel.

For tickets please contact the following nodal points:
Dina Parmar (Huqingping Rd) 13818804392
Aparna Waikar (SRC) 13918228392
Sangeeta Khurana (Yanlord Garden, Puxi) 15802196054
Rupali Sharma (Shimao Riviera, Pudong) 13621796247

Whoops. Looks like I am gonna miss that one.

Hi Guys,

I was looking for ways to celebrate Diwali in shanghai and came across this thread. I am Navneet, recently moved to Shanghai for work. I would like to be a part of the celebration, let me know if I can be of any help :) Are you guys attending IA's event in Hilton?

I will miss the stuff in Hilton but still interested to meet you up on the 26th. let's see if we can organize a get together.

Hello All :)

I am from South Africa and will be in China during Diwali this year(26/10/2011) 

I will be so glad to join you all for the festival. 

Please let me know where and when.

My email is [email protected]

Thank you kindly.

I am sorry, but I got an invitation for the 26th for an fair in Shanghai Exhibition Center. So I can not join you. The fair is running from 7pm until midnight.
Seems this year I will have no Diwali :( See you next time. Is there any other indian festival soon? Would love to get you all together guys.

Is anybody coming tonight to Bounty in Sinan Mansion? Hansvc is organizing there a coming together from 7pm to 11pm. I will be there short after 9pm.

Asmus, that is sad. Don't worry about Indian festivals, there is some festival every month. But Diwali is the most important. Anyways buddy, there is always a next time.

Hi Everyone..
I am here in Shanghai for last 3 months...and don know much abt..
I am from Vadodara, Gujarat..
I would like to join you guys for Diwali celebration.

Thanks.

Check out ""Diwali" Bollywood Night" on Shanghai Fun Party

To view this event, visit:
shanghaifunparty.com/events/event/show?id=2243431%3AEvent%3A326256

I guess party at La Flavor would be a good option too. I had posted that earlier as well.

Swati, what does your team think of this? Are you guys coming?

hey guys,

It's good to read the topic about diwali celebration.

I'll be happy to know if there is any diwali celebration in shanghai. I will love to join.pls let me know if there is

Sumit bansal
[email protected]

Dear Sumit,

Why don't you write your number over here? This way members would be able to establish contact with you.

Hi everyone,

I am really looking forward to do something on Diwali.
I would love to help organize something traditional, but if it's too late then I guess I will attend the La Flavor "bollywood party".
So let me know,

Hey guys,
I think La Flavor Bollywood nite is the only option.
Anyone attendin let me knw...
You can reply back on the post or contact me on 13916014647.

Thanks

[center]Hurry up! Last minute plan for Diwali!

[/center]

For those who couldn't go back to India to celebrate Diwali, we are bringing the celebration to Shanghai!

Description: For Hindus, Diwali is one of the most important festivals of the year and is celebrated in families by performing traditional activities together in their homes.

*Puja
Metro: Jing'an Temple (line 2/ line 7)
Time: 7:45pm

Detail: Puja will only be held if we can get all the following material. We need everyone to participate. Please let us know what you can bring:

-2 gods ( Laxmi & Ganesh)
-Diyas (indian candles)
-Incense
-Fruits
-Rice (a little bit)
-Indian sweets

(I might have forgotten some things, please point it out. And leave a comment to know what you can bring).

*Dinner
Add:Rm. 211, Hugeworld Complex, 458 Jiangsu Lu
Metro: Jiangsu Road (line 2/ line 11)
Time: 8:45pm

Detail: Please be on time. I will need confirmations and the amount of people coming, as I need to make a reservation. Limited places, so hurry up. Send me an email to confirm : [email protected]

*Party/Drinks
Add: 537, HaiFang Road Near Xikang Road
Metro: Changping Road (line 7)
Time: 10.00 Pm Onwards

Detail: shanghaifunparty.com/events/diwali-bollywood-night

Best regards,
Allya

Hi Allya,

I can bring Ganesha and Incense Sticks :) Are you planning for some fireworks also?

Regards,
Navneet

Hi all

May be we join directly at ganesha and then go to la flavor together. Will let u know soon.

I live very close to ganesha so let me know if u need any help for reservation.

Regards Swati

Hi allya,
i am in...
Will try to get other stuff if possible.

Regards Aadee,

Hey guys, how much will LA flavor cost?  We are about 10 students.. how much for a table there?  Drink costs? Etc?  Prompt reply will be helpful.. thx!

I will be there with two friends.

Hi everyone,
Navneet, Swati, Aadee, Vishalk (and your 2 friends) are on the list for the restaurant.

I have talked to the chef of the Ganesha restaurant, and made a great deal for a nice menu.
If we get enought people, I will get the hole restaurant just for us. So pass on the message, but you will have to send me an email to confirm your seat.
I will send you a message or post a comment, to confirm if you are on the list.

I am only organizing the puja and the restaurant, someone else should  check out the La Flavor event (price, drinks, etc).

Thanks Navneet for bringing the Ganesh & incence...
I can bring the rice and some fruits.
(can someone get the sweets?)

Foreigner are also welcomed to join us,
Best regards,
Allya

15 800 444 791

Aadee, I confirme for your 6 friends. :) Will you guys also come to the puja?

Hi

Happy Diwali to all of you.

I, my husband and two more friends will join at Ganesha Restaurant for dinner.

Regards
Swati

PS: For La Flavor, information is as below:

26 October
Diwali Celebration In Shanghai

► Drink Specials: - 40 rmb all cocktails
► First 50 people will get 1 FREE drink
► 15 Lucky winners will get 1 Diwali Gifts
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
★ "Diwali" Bollywood Night

Celebrate the festival of lights DIWALI this year in Shanghai with Lounge LA Flavor, On the special occasion LA Flavor has organized Bollywood Night all Bollywood songs all night, bring sweets to exchange and experience the cracking night
★ Dress code: - Indian
► Discounted Bottle & Table Reservation  - contact the lounge

Lounge LA FLAVOR
Add: 537, HaiFang Road Near Xikang Road
10.00 Pm Onwards till 3 am

Ok will be expecting you for dinner

Hi,

I am in ( with my wife and daughter) for Ganesha and La F.

regards
Manoranjan

Hi All,

I just joined the forum, and i saw this post... Me and my husband are interested too.
But i think its not too late for that.When there is a next event, please let us know too. We would be very happy to meet some Indians and get together with them, else it gets very lonely out here.
Please feel free to contact me anytime.
Looking forward to meeting you all :)

Regards,
Shelly
+86 13585930347