Going rate for babysitters

Hi

I am looking to get an idea of the going hourly rate for babysitters. We live in the Copenhagen suburbs and are looking for someone (not professionally qualified, but with some experience) to come to our house for a few hours a few times a week.

I have looked around but most jobs say salary negotiable, therefore I have no idea.  I used to pay someone £8 an hour in the UK, but don't want to be laughed at if I offer that here, given wage/living costs seem so high here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Diane

Hi Diane.

It really depends on the age of the babysitter. When I was 13 - 14 I used to do baby sitting for about 35 - 40 dkkr an hour.
later when I was older I got about 85 - 95 dkkr an hour then taking on more responsibility and other tasks like cooking dinner, getting children to bed etc.

This is some years ago, more people are looking for jobs now, maybe you can get it cheaper. :-)

I wish you good luck.

Regards Sarah

Hi,
It depends abit on who is coming, if its lets say a student its about 65 - 85 dkk / h if its someone more "proffessional" or experienced its about 100 dkk / h. I usually need for the evening and night (from 7-8pm until 2-3 am) and I pay by the "job". 500 dkk for the whole time. This has usually been ok and hasnt lead to any discussions about hourly pay. Many times its better since you can adjust the times and if you run abit late you dont need to stress about that. But I always make it very clear that they have to be flexible and if I'm 15 min late there will be no problems with that as long as I send a sms or call to inform. And I always make food ready for the babysitter.
You can check out some recommended babysitters in the discussion forum on Meetup / International Parents meetup in Copenhagen.
Rgds
Janina