Just moved to Madrid...

Hi there,

IŽve recently moved to Pozuelo de Alarcon, which is 10mins on the bus from Madrid, from England.

Anywho iŽm loving it so far but iŽm in desperate need of a job- i have extensive experience in sales and barwork although iŽm quite happy to do anything. If anyone knows/ hears of anything i would hugely grateful.

It would be nice to meet people too, i have a fair grasp of Spanish but it could definately be improved upon and of course iŽd love to be able to converse with people in English.

Anyways look forward to meeting/ speaking to some of you soon.

Luke

Hi Luke,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for your introduction.

What are your first impressions of Pozuelo de Alarcon or Madrid?

Do not hesitate to share your experience with us.

Concerning your job search, i would suggest you to have a look at the "Work in Spain" guide. This might help you.

I wish you good luck,
Christine

Hiya Luke,

Make sure you visit infojobs.net, it is probably the most visited website for work searching by spaniards. You can select "madrid" in the provinces drop down menu, and do not forget to enter "ingles" in the keyword box.

See, this is your main advantage so make good use of it. Though there is a huge unemployment rate in Spain, there is not in the sales area, and also there are many spaniards that claim they speak good english but they are totally unable to keep up in a simple conversation. So, if you apply to jobs requesting "native speakers", youŽll be increasing your chances. Of course you will need to improve your spanish mid term, but on that we can help you out with =)

Feel free to poke me if you need further help.

Best of lucks!
Javier

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice it is hugely appreciated. ItŽd be great to get some money coming in so i can explore Madrid a bit more.

IŽm really enjoying Pozuelo at the moment, itŽs definately bigger than i thought it was though; i went for a run last night at 11pm, got lost and didnt get back until about 2.30am!!! Needless to say that is my  exercise for the next month out of the way.

Pozuelo is a beautiful and affluent area- my cousin was telling me that many of the Real Madrid players and management have houses here in fact he even said he seen Jose Mourinho at the local church!
One of the main disadvantages of Pozuelo compared to Madrid however is the relative lack of jobs.

Talking of which iŽve had some pretty exciting develpments today, firstly i am now an official English teacher!!! Had my first pupil today, it went really well (even if i do say so myself). Secondly, i got accepted to a subsidised TEFL course, which is mainly funded by a major English academy so there is a guaranteed job at the end of it.

On a side note my cousin asked me if i want to go to Las Palmas for the fiestas this weekend, if there are any English speaking people about it would be nice to meet up and have a drink (or maybe two).

Luke

Hi Luke,
I know it was quite some time ago you wrote this but if you still want to meet people, I'll be moving to Rivas Vaciamadrid in 2 weeks time :)
Jess

Hello,

I'm from Spain. I love meeting new people. I know what it's difficult to live a place if you just know few people. So, anyone Jess, Luke... would like to meet a Friday, Saturday night let me know.

Referring to the job, I am a teacher and I know there is not many opportunities. In Pozuelo, you have more possibilities to teach English to children.

Sandra

Sandra

Hi!!!!! How r u?? IŽm from a small spanish city but IŽve been living in Finland on account of my job for almost two years, and I just got back to Spain to work here in Madrid. IŽm new in the city and ItŽs nice to meet new people in Madrid and change experiences. IŽd like to meet new friends in madrid and have fun. I hope to hear from you soon!!!!!!

--Radar Man--

Please message me your mobile if you are still looking for work.

Many thanks

Andrew