Teaching in Laos?

Good afternoon, all.

I'm seriously considering moving to Laos.

I'm a Native Speaker of English

I have a degree, a TEFL certificate, and more than 20 years of teaching experience in Cambodia.

I have also held management positions such as School Director, Program Manager, HoD, etc. some with very well-known corporate organisations. I can tailor curricula (ESP) for Hotel and Tourism industry and government organisations ( I taught Senate and National Assembly staff in Cambodia), among others.

So, the possible problem is I'm 67...

Do you think I could find sustainable work in Laos? NGO, school, university or otherwise? I live a simple life.

Please send me a message if you think we can work together, or if you have any leads.

Thanks, sadzangravy

Welcome aboard.

Best thing to do would be to contact schools and teaching institutions for possible employment.

There are a lot of international schools in Vientiane.

Try those in Vientiane first and then in Pakse or Luang Prabang, where the numbers of schools are limited.

A Google search 'schools in Vientiane' will give you a lot to contact.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Do you think I could find sustainable work in Laos? NGO, school, university or otherwise? I live a simple life.Please send me a message if you think we can work together, or if you have any leads.Thanks, sadzangravy        -@sadzangravy

I taught in Vientiane at one of the "international" schools in 2008 - 09  and then as a freelance teacher/tutor/proofreader from 2011 - 15, so my knowledge is hardly up-to-date. I don't think things have changed that much though.

Teaching in Laos is quite similar to Cambodia.  If you can land a position with one of the "international" schools as a teacher or manager/administrator, you will have a monthly salary, WP and visa and some benefits based on a one-year contract. As Stumpy mentions above, you should be contacting them.

Most of them have websites that you can search for; others will have a facebook page. If you're on facebook, you can join the group "Teaching Jobs In Laos" to network, and occasionally there are job ads posted there. I think schools will soon be going into summer break though (?).

You also should understand that demand in Laos is generally low though, as the national population is less than 8 million. I think there may be 8 to 10 of these types of schools in Vientiane with very few in the provinces.

In addition to the "international" schools, yes, there is *some* work with NGOs, companies, business colleges, and private students (other expats or their kids such as those from Japan, Italy, Korea, France, etc.). You should note that the economic situation in Laos is not so great these days.

In short, there are teaching opportunities in Laos and you should be able to get by there and possibly thrive. Do some further research, and maybe fly up and have a look to confirm.

You might also explore the possibility of teaching online:

https://www.goodairlanguage.com

Thanks to those who replied, very helpful.