Please can you help?

I'm Angela, I'm in the UK. My friend David is in La Romana. He's elderly and immobile. He didn't plan on staying a few years back but his health gave him no choice. He didn't let the UK pension office know and now they've stopped his pension and he's in quite the precarious situation without it as I am sure you can imagine. The pensions dept want a document completed by a professional proving that he is indeed living in DR. But he's at a loss, can't walk and doesn't even have a printer. Hence me reaching out to this forum. I did try to search on the website here for a lawyer but perhaps there is a professional on here that could help with this delicate situation or know someone who could? I am very worried about my pal, David. Once he gets his pension sorted (which shouldn't take long after the forms are emailed in he would be able to pay you for your help.

Thank you so much for any help you can offer, Angela

The pensions dept want a document completed by a professional proving that he is indeed living in DR

What kind of professional would be accepted by the pension dept ? What kind of document ? First thing to know.

Would a statement made by a Notary do ?

To be valid, I assume the Notary's signature should be legalized by the Ministry of justice. (Procuraduría).

Afterthat, apostilled by The MIREX, (Ministerio de asuntos exteriores = Foreign Office).

Then, translated into English by a sworn translator, which could be done in the U.K.

Hi Guineo, it's called a life certificate. Basically to state that he isn't dead and this isn't a scam. It's in English. Here's some info from the pensions dept as to the professional witness:

Who can sign the Life Certificate?

The person who signs the Life Certificate should not be related to you by birth or marriage, not live at the same address as you and should be a professional person or a person of good standing in the community.

Examples of the type of person that would be suitable include:

• bank/building society official or accountant

• barrister, solicitor or any other person allowed to manage oaths in the country

where the declaration is made

• doctor, dentist, physiotherapist or pharmacist

• government official or local Mayor

• the equivalent of a magistrate, Justice of the Peace or member of the local police

force

• minister of religion

• care home/nursing home manager

So yes I think a notary would work. But the problem is he can't travel to them, they would ned to visit him.

I do not think this would be a problem.

Some Lawyers in the DR are at the same time Notaries.  They are used to travelling to the court or to visit their clients.

Try to find one in La Romana.

Thanks for your advice. That's my reason for reaching out to see if someone can recommend someone who would be reliable.

This is all quite critical timing wise and I'm not just concerned for David financially and physically but mentally too.

Hi.

Google : "abogado notario en La Romana" there are quite a few but I cannot recommend any.

You will find their websites and/or details.

Thank you for your help