Pacific Cross Health Insurance &Cost of Long Term Living.

I am considering retirement living in Siemp Reap and plan a trip there later this year.I would like to know if Pacific Cross Health Insurance are enrolled by many of the expats there especially as an American?

I was considering the Philippines however  seems to be getting more expensive especially housing (condo) rental cost for "gringo" pricing. From what I have been able to research so far Cambodia could be a better option with cost of long term living currently in Siem Reap also.

I just turened a active 77,single and a monthly budget of $1600 if I were to relocate there.

Hello, I'm a Belgian, 58y/o,  live for more than 10 years here,  and I don't know anything about insurance, and I don't have any, so I can not help you about this point,  but for sure, your budget is large enough to live here decently.

You can get a visa easily for about 300 $ a year, and cheap places to rent.

It's really a good decision to come here for a while before living there, especially if you never came here before.  You can get a tourist visa (Visa T) on arrival for 30$ for 30 days and  a visa extension for one more month for +- 45 $.  (only one visa extension is possible with Tourist Visa ; after that you have to leave the land).

If you live here, the visa is different, Ordinary Visa first (35$ on arrival) and then extension in ER Visa (Retired)  for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months.

Plenty of informations on this site and on 'Move To Cambodia'

https://movetocambodia.com/

Take care of you, CH

@christian123

Thanks

Just wondering if the cost of living are still actually affordable in Siem Reap these day's?If I were to relocate there my starting budget would be around $1600 monthly.Also, anyone familiar with the "Rose Apple Square" condo complex in Siem Reap especially for a one bedroom long term rental rates?The place looks very nice indeed.

@arthow1847 I think things are reasonable here depending on how you want to live and where. As an example, my Khmer partner and I have a 3 bedroom house situated a few km from downtown. We pay $220 a month. I have seen nicer homes and apartments on different sites and here for around $250. Utilities depend especially electricity. If you run AC all the time you will pay. Tap water and garbage is cheap. Potable water we have delivered. Not sure how much it costs.

Food depends on how you want to live. For us, my partner cooks a variety of food for me. She shops at local markets for us. Since she's Khmer it may be cheaper for her than if I went. I don't buy clothing either any longer. There is this big market called 6th street market to shop for shoes and clothing for men and women. She buys most of our stuff there. I have no doubt it is cheaper for her to go on her own.

For internet, I pay $6 a month for a cell service which includes 50gb data, lots of talk and text times. I use Smart. We also have home wifi since we have various family people from the provinces that come and stay with us at different times.

So take your $1600 a month. Look at some properties like apartments or even smaller homes online. Most owners want first and last month and want a year agreement you will sign. Say that costs $250 a month. Then decide how much you want to spend on food. Before I met Alin I ate almost all my food out. I probably spent about $800 a month on food and fresh fruit then. Subtract if you want a moto. I don't care for them. I just walk every day or get a passapp.  Walking is my daily thing anyways so I usually do 4 to 5 miles a day.  Finally subtract things like phone internet and other regular costs you may have like any perscribed medicines or other stuff. What you have left is what you have.

There could be other expenses depending on your lifestyle and choices. We like traveling both inside Cambodia and around Southeast Asia. I have been going to places more inside Cambodia I have not been so there are private taxi or bus or minivan charges.

Can you live on what remains? Thats up to you. Others may have different realities. I would say my life is very enjoyable but almost 100% for me because of my partner here. She just does everything for me basically. You won't have that so you have to decide on your own how you do things.

Maybe Siem Reap is not your thing. Kampot is an alternative.

@mpmilestogoThank you

@arthow1847

Sorry Arthow, i come again.

I repeat it again, your budget is large enough to live here. consider a high price,  300$/month to rent a place , 100 $ for electricity, 5 to 10 $ for mains water15 for an internet connection and wifi, 10$ a day for food and drink ... water can +- 20 liters/5 gallons of wateris 0.75$ (+ a little deposit for the first time you buy one)

If you don't go often in restaurant, but khmer restaurants are very cheap, you'll never spend more than 6 or 700 $ to live here, and I show you a high price,  you can travel in Cambodida and around for cheap prices.

I told you already that to come here is a very good idea before to live, you can come here for 1 or 2 months, it's a minimum to know a little about the country,  visit many places, you can find everywhere hotels and guesthouses for 12-15$

Nobody knows what you want exactly to live here, but your budget helps you to live here very decently.

I can see Rose Apple square has an internet site , you can visit and write to them to nave more informations and know the prices of what you're looking for.  https://www.roseapplesquare.com/

They are not the only ones, visit internet to find something to rent, here are informations about renting on this site, you can find a lot, make an adress book and go and visit the places when you'll come here, and anywhere in the country, and with 6 or 8 weeks, taking your time, you will find something for you.

Greetings

@christian123 Thanks,for the input and info.

@arthow1847 Just one more little data point. When I got back to SR this time in 2022, I found a long stay guest house right by pub street. Utilities are paid but drinking water is not. The cost was $300 a month and I paid for water and laundry services. I paid as much for food as I wanted to pay because I enjoy eating a variety of food in the city. Probably spent $600 a month on food. So I figure its $300 for rent, $600 for food and drinks, and maybe $30 a month for water and laundry.

I was pretty happy with how I lived then. The guesthouse manager is a great person. She does visa extensions and has built a small cafe right at the guesthouse. If you want to explore this option drop me a PM and I'll give you her whatsapp info. You could do less for food. I just spoiled myself. Often.

@mpmilestogo

Thanks, what is the name of this place also please?

@arthow1847 i will send you a pm.  will have name and whatsapp.

Gracias

@arthow1847 Hi. Just sent you a PM with the info. Hope it helps.

@mpmilestogo

Thank you so much! 1f600.svg