Update on monthly cost of living

Sorry but i posted this on an old Thread yesterday. Regret
i have not received any reply so far. I have searched various threads giving current costs and as far as I can conclude, whilst individual costs will vary somewhat, overall cost of living is probably very similar to Thailand. I am an old Pensioner living quite simply. One question I forgot to ask was about the Cambodian currency normally used, the exchange rate and long term Bank Interest Rates.

Yesterday Post:-

"I have a note that states that I read that the Cost of Living in Phnom Penh including rent,food, utilities etc could be achieved on $ 450 per month about Thai Baht 13500.
I am trying to update my cost estimate in detail.

I am looking at minimum costs for a retired person living on a small pension."

Try www.numbeo.com this website gives all sorts of information including cost of living

Thanks, I know that.

But I was hoping an Expat Member on here may keep detailed records like I have for Bangkok.

In Cambodia we use US Dollars, but instead of cents we use the local currency Riels. Around 4,000R is 1USD.

Depending on your life style and area you live in, it can be cheap to live here. The further out of the city you live, the cheaper it is. If you live centrally, you can expect to pay $250 - $300 for a one-bedroom apartment each month. If you live out past the airport you can get a three-storey house for the same price.

A popular bank here is ANZ. They have a website you can check out.

Food is cheaper if you eat local cuisine and shop at the market. Shopping at supermarkets and eating western food is more expensive.

450$/month for a foreigner all included? I don't think so.
Except if you are living 100% khmer style...

I have read similar comments here in Thailand.And then somebody comes along to explain why their costs are much cheaper. I have lived to some extent like the Thais for many years and yes, the cost of living is much lower. The local market prices are much cheaper than what I have to pay at a Supermarket 50 to 60% lower. I guess that equates to Khmer style but not 100%. I still buy at both places.

If you want to live on $450 per month in Phnom Penh, it could go like this:

1 bedroom apartment near Olympic Stadium: $150
Electricity: $40
Water: $5
TV: $5

That leaves $250 per month or $8 per day.

So you need food, social life and other things might be needed. You might need medication, tuk tuks, new clothes and your visa renewal.

To eat each day could go like this: Breakfast - pot noodle 60 cents, Lunch - beef, green peppers and rice $1.75 and evening meal - Spaghetti bolognese $4 = $6.35. So you could be left with $1.65 per day to live it up and party.

You would not have a great life style, meager social life and always checking your money, not a great life.

There are of course some dodgy $60 per month guest houses that working girls frequent and your room would not be safe, I have a German friend who stays in the Power House guest house in Sihanoukville and it costs him $135 all in.

I think $450 is too low to live on.

Great information and thanks. Of course my $450 did not include any allowance for a contingency to live it up or special medication which now seems to be a further concern for me.

I have lived here for 2 months already and $450.00 is just not going to make it. And if it did you would probably not be happy with your lifestyle.