I want nothing more than to live in Mauritius

HI, I'm relatively new here, and mostly overwhelmed by all of the activity in this corner of the internet.

My situation:

I am 26, going on 27. I live in South Africa, a country that no longer sparks my soul. I am employed full-time as a remote writer, I earn around $2,000 a month. I am not alone, I have a dependent in the form of my gracious and kind-hearted mother who saved my life 23 years ago when she adopted me. My mother is retired and one of the great joys of my life is being able to give back to her ten-fold what she gave to me for all those years raising me. My mother's dream is to move to Mauritius, a dream I have come to share quite passionately. The crystalline waters surrounding your island call to my soul like the resolute mountains in my home town once did.

I have been working tirelessly to ensure that my monthly income remains well above the required $1500 for the Premium VISA I so desperately had my sights set upon. The plan, as I had understood it, was that my mother would be allowed to travel to and reside in Mauritius on my VISA as my dependent. We would then start making arrangements to obtain more permanent residence in Mauritius upon arrival. I would set aside a week off of work during which she and I would search for a more long-term rental to transition to, as well as taking some time to get to know the Island.

I started my application on the Economic Development Board's website, and was making significant progress toward finding suitable travel and health insurance, looking into Mauritian banks, rentals, and preparing our current house in South Africa for the market. I found an airline, a prospective date range, even examined the specifications of the plane that would likely carry us to your shores. And then, this morning, on the heels of immense excitement, everything came crashing down.

I spent a few hours on the phone this morning to various entities within the EDB, and the all assured me of the same thing. My mom will not be able to accompany me as a dependent, dependents, as I am now painfully aware, are only spouses and children. I was assured, however, that for an annual amount of $18,000, my mom would be able to bask in the Mauritian sun as a retiree. The issue is this, our house is not vast or opulent enough to justify a selling price of $180,000 to cover the 10 years she'd be able to call Mauritius home, and I cannot afford to bankroll both entrance requirements, I simply don't have that much money.

I am reaching out, with hat in hand, to absolutely anyone who knows of a more financially viable way for me to get my mom and I to Mauritius for a long-term stay that could turn into residence or citizenship down the line. Thank you so much to everyone for taking time out of your day to read this post. I am at wit's end and I hate the feeling that this dream is slowly slipping away.

Kindest regards,

Hopeful future Mauritian resident,

Russ.

Hello Russ and welcome on board !

Hope members can share some suitable options with you.

I can only suggest that she accompanies you as a tourist till you find a more long term solution. She can stay up to 5-6 months (3 months normal + 3 months extension).

Of course, extension is obtained upon presentation of some documents (accommodation, finance, air ticket, insurance).

Regards

Bhavna

@PotentialMauritianExpat

Hi Russ, my name is Clifford and I sympathise with you and I can see you have a lot of problems to solve and I can assure you that, with the conditions and rules you will be hitting your head against a brick wall. I have gone through the same scenario as you are going through now and at the end of 23 years in Mauritius I have decided to return to the UK, I am not saying that you will be going through the same as my situations and circumstances are different. I have two properties in Mauritius and one is in the city and is abandoned and the other is in the North of the island which has never been lived in so I can only assume it's in a very bad state. I am Mauritian born and raised so I do know somethings about the mauritian ways and behaviour, may be I can advise you in the direction where you may have a chance, unfortunately if your mother were making the application you would stand a good chance of both coming to Mauritius. I will give you my email address and if you are interested you can cintact me and we may discuss it more privately and if this does help all well and good.

Hope I can help  Kind Regards.  Clifford

My email is :    ***

Moderated by Bhavna 4 months ago
Reason : Personal email
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@jeanclifford

Hello, please share your perrsonal email through dm by clicking on the member's username > select the send a message option.

Thank you

Bhavna

Hello Russ.

Kindly check your inbox.

Thank you

@PotentialMauritianExpat

Hi me and my daughters moved from SA this year they are 7 and 12 so I had to think of everything. But I have to say likely I found *** quickly in the game. They always they it your self. But the after help is the best. Helping with bank setup hospitals..

They are really quick and not expensive. That little bit extra is worth it.

Moderated by Bhavna 3 months ago
Reason : Please recommend in private

@chrizelda1 I recommend *** too. Nilena is amazing and I know of 2 families personally whom she has assisted in moving to Mauritius.

Moderated by Bhavna 3 months ago
Reason : Please recommend in private

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. Relocating to Mauritius does not seem to be within my current budget. Thank you nonetheless for all the information. Have a prosperous day further.

@PotentialMauritianExpat

Have you looked into the self employed residence permit?

Since you work remotely, you can get the self employed residence permit instead of the premium visa.

There is no initial monthly income requirement to apply for it but you have to make an initial transfer of USD35,000

And you can include parents as dependents.

The 35K you transfer will be in an account under your name and is completely free to use for expenses in Mauritius.

It's also a longer term permit compared to the Premium Visa.

@zurtle Hi hi Zurtle, I hope you're well and don't mind me reaching out. The option you suggested yesterday seems like the most effective one, thank you for that. I'd just like to ask whether this is the option you used, and whether you know how to handle the business plan thing. I'm an independent contractor, so I'm not looking to start a business or an entrepreneurship venture.