Hello from an American in Denmark

Hi there everyone.  Just found this site and it's rather interesting.  I moved to Denmark about 8 months ago and so far I've found it's a bit tricky to find work here, especially with my background.

I worked in the financial sector for years (about 9 years), but since I married a Dane and moved here I wanted to attempt to go back to my passion, which is acting, voice over work, or writing in some form or capacity.  I went to school for Acting and have been doing community theater and playing MMORPGs (roleplaying within them) for even longer than 9 years!

So, I've been putting up applications for months all over advertising that I can be an english proofreader, or do english voice over work here in Aarhus, or do online web content writing for games or even just any site... hope that pans out.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.  :)

Hi and welcome to the forum ClaudeSchmincke!

Thanks for this introduction.
I moved your thread to the Denmark forum for better visibility ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi Claude:

I'm also married to a Dane, and might probably be coming back to Denmark soon.

Getting a job was also my problem when I lived there. And right now it is my biggest concern now that we are contemplating the possibility of coming back.

I can see your post is some months old, so I wanted to ask you if your situation changed or not, if you are working, and how do you feel so far.

Are you taking Danish lessons? That really helped me a lot. Most importantly, because you get to meet people in your same situation.

Hope you are doing allright, and drop a line whenever you have time.

Best regards,

Liliana.

Well so far I still do not have any work.  I am taking Danish courses at night in the hope I can find work during the day, but all I have lined up right now is an unpaid internship (for a MONTH) that will eventually lead to subsidized pay if they like me... and an interview at a Gamestop store.

I am unsure what the job market might be like for English speakers in Copenhagen, but here in Aarhus if you don't speak Danish it seems to be a bit difficult.  I can't even find cleaning jobs that wish to hire me, or McDonalds.  To get a rejection from McDonalds felt pretty low, especially because I used to work in finance with a pretty nice salary. ;)

But hopefully either the internship or the Gamestop interview will pan out.  I hear Vestas is a great company to also work for, and they hire a lot of english speakers... however my applications with them are sadly only still pending.

Good luck to you if you do decide to come back here, though.  It's still a lovely place to live with wonderful people... just a bit stressful right now because of all the hoops I have to jump through it seems just to get some money coming in for us.

I'm American as well, also with a background in acting and voiceover work.  I have yet to move to Denmark (will move in 2012), but I know there's at least one English language theater in Copenhagen.  Here's their website: http://www.ctcircle.dk/

Yes, I know of them!  Thanks very much for the link too. :)  Sadly I currently live in Aarhus, but hopefully we may move one day once my wife is done with school.