Vehicle Transport

Has anyone had a good experience having a vehicle transported from the US to D.R.

looking to ship mine from Hawaii. Im a little nervous it will get lost or stolen.

We shipped our car from Miami to DR. We had insurance against loss during transit. We shipped ours in our container of personal items, so the expense wasn't much more for the car. I can't imagine the time and expense of shipping from Hawaii!

Actually, the military will help me ship it to FL, then I have to cover the cost from FL to D.R.

What company did you use, how much did they charge you, and how many days did it take to arrive in the D.R. ?

Are you doing this with a residency exemption?  Is it less than  5 year old?

x2  There are some rules involved with landing a vehicle in the DR.

The costs to ship into the DR are not too bad. Maybe $1500. As ddmcghee says we shipped our vehicle inside our 40ft container, so it was inexpensive for us. The real costs are the taxes. That can hit you hard. If you PM me I can provide some guidance and costs.

@planner hi, I will not be traveling with a residency exemption and my vehicle is not less than 5 years old. Its a 2018...

Then you cannot bring it in.

Without exemption for residency you will pay all the fees, duties, taxes etc based on a price determined here! 

Older than 5 yrs is a 'No-Go'

@planner Okay. so would you say its more economical to purchase a newer vehicle in the states and have it shipped or wait to purchase one in the D.R.?

1f614.svg@planner

Vehicle must be owned for 1 yr before import

Omg

As Willie posted!  You won't have an option but to buy here. And without residency you will pay a lot of taxes and duty plus first plates etc. 

@Angiearias85

The duties you pay on a vehicle NOT manufactured in the US are considerably higher, as well.  We specifically bought our vehicle that was manufactured in the US.  So, you need a vehicle less than five years old and more than one year.  I think you have to own it one year prior, but I'm not positive about that.  We bought ours in January this year because we plan to move spring 2024.

less than 5yrs old and you have owned it for 1yr...........that's the rule

The owned for a year is not set in stone. It must be within 5 years , but I know of several expats that brought a new vehicle in the states and shipped shortly thereafter. The key was to ship using an auto importer and not as an individual

The owned for a year is not set in stone. It must be within 5 years , but I know of several expats that brought a new vehicle in the states and shipped shortly thereafter. The key was to ship using an auto importer and not as an individual

-@ricomozo

They didn't import it personally, The Importer did

Big difference

Exactly lets not confuse the issues. we are talking about an individual importing a vehicle!

what about classic cars 1966 mustang

@vinnyice6

you need the support/collaboration of the local classic club/association to get that done

yes, there is one