How to bring your car to the Dominican Republic

Hello everybody,

If you exported your car to the Dominican Republic, were there any formalities that needed to be completed beforehand? What were they?

What is the best way to export your car? Is there a limit on the number of vehicles, or perhaps the age of the vehicle? Are there limits on emissions or emission controls in Dominican Republic?

What are the expected costs of exporting a car? In your opinion, is it worth it?

Once you arrived in Dominican Republic, what were the applicable taxes? What was the customs process like?

How do you go about registering an imported car in Dominican Republic?

Is it best to buy a car once you have arrived or to bring your car with you, in your opinion?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Bhavna

Unless you  bring your vehicle as part of your residencia shipment, dont bother. Tax, duty.and shipping will clobber you.

Only vehicles under 5 yrars old and fully owned by you are allowed!

The import process is cumbersome at best and a straight rip off at its worst!

Planner is correct if you do not bring it with your initial residency container then you will be killed on the fees and taxes.  It can easily cost more than the value of the car.
Bottom line buy a used vehicle here from an expat who is moving back or upgrading his car

Bob K

You guys are such smooth talkers. Since it is turning out to be more hastle then what it is worth i may just can this idea.
Thanks for your input in helping me to the right decision.

You are welcome.  With some research and effort you will find a suitable vehicle here.

Bob K

Thanks Stan. My work here is done!!!

Seriously now the next thread you start Stan, how to find and verify a good used vehicle!!!

I attempted to, but there are vehicle age restrictions. Ton's of red tape and eventually the cost, even for a first time vehicle with a resident visa exemption, made it impractical. If you have an employer paying for it, just do it ! Personally, I found it much simpler to sell my Tacoma in EEUU, rent here and seriously shop for a month with a trusted Mechanic. Ended up with a bombproof Toyota Landcruiser Prado Turbodiesel.  I put another $3,000 in tires, suspension and issues of age. Bought from a private individual. Came out about the same as bringing my Toyota Tacoma and I have a vastly superior Vehicle. Possibly just lucky, but that was 4 years ago and I have never regretted buying here.

Ok so importing a car is a nightmare.
The only reason why we even considered importing our jeep was cost savings on either end. We are a 501c3 in the states and had a portion of our used jeep donated which made it 5k less than black book value. Also, we work with the obispado or Bishops office of San Juan. They imported the vehicle for us since it will be used for us as a missionary family working with diocesan programs. We paid next to nothing for importation. I think $100 or so USD. HOWEVER, if you are importing for personal, you'll pay at least a 50% tax on the value if not more. It would've cost us the same in taxes as much as we paid for the vehicle. Ridiculous. In the future, we will be purchasing a vehicle here for personal use. Much more cost effective. Now, the process is overall a nightmare. Our vehicle docked in late December, and we never even took receipt of it until late February. Customs  broke a bunch of stuff inside like my left drivers footrest thinking it was hollow with drugs I guess. Had to reorder that at $80 usd Fedex to the capital. I DO NOT recommend importing a vehicle. Too many rules and regs. If it's a car you can't live without say a customized Chevy Tahoe with Bullet proof screen that cost you 100k, well maybe that's worth it. Normal car? No way. That's my two pesos anyhow.

And few work through a church or nob profit.

Dont even bother in most cases!

Amigo I just went thru the BS of bringing the car from Puerto Rico,  my ADVISE don't  bother bringing your car I spent $3800 thats with taxes plates and shipping , save your money i was lucky of the Law 168 that my spouse is dominican resident. Buy a used pick up from an original owner and avoid the 60% taxes

We have a friend who is bringing a BMW motor cycle.  It is on the boat now.  His total costs are going to run him 60% of the value if the bike...ouch!

Bob K

Cyou need a broker heres his number only speaks Spanish 809.848.0135 Ramirez

That would be very useful

While a broker is a must, unless you are really attached to a vehicle, or it is a special use vehicle, or an employer is paying.... The cost benefit just does not work out well. Even with the one time exemption. Buying a used vehicle here can be a little more nefarious than other countries, but shop with a Mechanic in tow. One from a different barrio ! Plenty of good used Toyotas here.... Or go big, and go new ! I am a long time Toyota truck fan and parts and mechanics for them are plentiful. In comparison to US mechanics, their labor costs are very reasonable. They are also extremely innovative. They can repair small switches and parts with expertise. Parts that would just get tossed in the US. I have been pleasantly surprised by their level of expertise and honesty. I do not live in a tourist zone however, some may have had different experiences.

hello bavna ,
thanks for your e mail,i will be gateful for the information,we at looking at the end of 2018 to be in the Dominican republic,we have purchased a plot in playa neuva romana,and will start building the casa early next year,we have two cars one 2 yrs old a rav 4 and  a land rover l / 4 four yrs old.i heard the cars cannot be older 5 yrs to enter the dr.i am also looking for med ins.my wife and I will be in punta cana and bahie principe for two weeks in early juily may be we can meet.tks for vry kind assistance pugypugy

Yes your vehicles will be too old and not eligible.

Playa Nueva Romana is quite nice. Congrats

thanks very much,we will be in the marina village,trying to get the necessary information as  not to have problems with customs.take care, all the best.  pugypugy

I hv a friend that sells medical insurance which he is a doctor as well. Let me know ok

hey axel,tks for the information,i will be in the dr for two weeks in july I will get in touch with you. all the best  ,
pugypugy

Where is he located I am looking for medical insurance for my wife.

Best insurance is either Humano or Universal. I have a humano group and if you want info  then private message me.

I'm sending a 2019 Hyundai Sonata, I wish I would've read this thread before sending. I assume they access the value?

They use their database.

Go-Felt wrote:

I'm sending a 2019 Hyundai Sonata, I wish I would've read this thread before sending. I assume they access the value?

Yes - our 2019 Toyota 4Runner (new for $40k in July 2019) was assessed at about $52k when we imported it in November of 2020.

How much did you have to pay, if I may ask?

We got a 20% reduction in the import duty with our residency (as well as full exoneration on our household items). You should get 40% since your car is a year older.

You still have to pay the 18% fee for the placa (license plate), same as you would if you bought a new car here.

We are planning to move to Santo Domingo 2nd Qtr 2022 on a retirement visa and are taking our car. What is their db that you are talking about? Can you post the link.
Thank you

The database is the govt site that they use to determine the value of your vehicle.   I am not sure this is accessible.   Let's find out!  Someone here will know.

I am not sure if customs has a different data base for valuing vehicles but this is the tax office link:

https://dgii.gov.do/vehiculosMotor/cons … ianos.aspx

Duplicated post

And welcome to the forums Rafael

Thank you. Been reading for a couple of weeks, but this is the first time I had something to say and I got an instant response  :)

We all try our best to be helpful!

I was under the assumption that cars older than 10 years were not allowed into DR, Am I wrong?

Older than 5 yrs.....
June 30 is the deadline for the 5 yrs....

Do you have to have to be a resident to import a car, or can you just use your American passport to take the car out of customs without the residency discount?

Answered in the other thread