Bringing my car to Pt from USA

Hi.  I would like to bring my 2018 Tesla from USA to Porto.  I was recently granted residency and now it seems like the time to have a car.  I have read a lot about this but cannot determine whether or not it's worth it.  Can't tell if I have to pay VAT on the vehicle which adds about 10,000eu to this venture.  Any input from those with experience here would be much appreciated.  Regards

Hello, and hope all is well. please check with your immigration lawyer as we arived here on a golden visa and we got told we can get a car each one for me and one for my wife tax free.

hope that helps!

Thank you for your reply   Have you brought one in yet?

No we have not as we thought it was better just to buy a local car and not worry about paper work etc and now we regret not getting one. also please check prices here for a similar car maybe it would be cheaper to just buy one here. depending on the area you will be living in check see how far do you have to drive to get service. best of luck!

@lfdasalla I am struggling with this same question.  I want to take my can am motorcycle.  It would cost double what I paid for it to replace it in Portugal.  But there is the shipping cost. Import tax and conversion to EU regulations to consider. 

@lfdasalla - contact Anna Lucie at Algarve Car Solutions , she will be able to help and advise you :-)

[link moderated]

@lfdasalla I am struggling with this same question.  I want to take my can am motorcycle.  It would cost double what I paid for it to replace it in Portugal.  But there is the shipping cost. Import tax and conversion to EU regulations to consider. 

-@rspencerkeith

The motorcycle should be easier to bring to and legalize in Portugal than the car.

@TGCampo Talk with Algarve Car Solutions, they are brilliant - you can find them on FaceBook