Purchasing a new car

Hello everyone,

We are planning to buy a new car in Portugal and I wonder if anyone could offer any info on the process or point me to a place where I could find info pertinent to Portugal. So far most info I have found pertains to the US and the process of bargaining with a dealer in the US, but not much for Portugal. I have found info, for example, on how to get the best "out-of-door" price (I don't even know how to say that in Portuguese!), on how to deal with the financing department of the dealership after you got your final price, things to do and things to avoid, etc, etc, but I am really not sure how much of this info works for Portugal.

So could anyone give me some hints on what to expect at a dealership and what is the best way to go about this process?... I tried to find info on this forum as well, but nothing really applies to my predicament. :)

Thank you in advance,

Cristian

Christian,

We recently bought a new car here in Faro. The process was pretty straightforward for us. The supply was very limited July 2022 and we were eager buyers. The price was the price and I did not see any consumer protection disclosures they you would see in USA. (however we didn't finance but do not think it would have mattered) The dealer also arranged for very competitive insurance. There was about a 3-5 day period from when we agreed and when we received the car. Typically we have found that documents are in one name only here so it's a good idea to have different items in each person's name if a couple. It will help with proof of residency for each when needed.

@ctomac

Hi,

I am Canadian living in Portugal and just bought a car a couple a months ago.  I looked online and found an amazing broker who did everything for me from finding the car to insurance, financing and licensing.

Let me know if you would like his information.

Lorie

@LorieAnneC

Hi Lorrie, yes, it would be great if you could give me the contact of the broker you used. What was the fee he charged for his service? Or how does it work with brokers? It's the first time ever I buy a new car, so it's all a bit of a mystery still.

Thanks,

Cristian

Buying a car is easy in Europe. So no broker is required and keep in mind that every intermediary make you purchase more expensive.

@ctomac

Hi,

I will send you his details.

By the way he didn't charge me directly at all, just as car salesmen and car dealers don't charge you a direct fee.  It is a service built into their business model, as in any other enterprise.

Lorie

We bought a car recently in Portugal - getting a car loan was worse than getting a mortgage! we ended up paying cash. once we did that, the process was EASY! give them proof of insurance and drive away. As far as bargaining - inventory was low, so the price was the price

@leefaroe

I also experienced that with several places, but the dealer I found got the financing without a problem.

OK, so I get it - limited supply, the price is the price.

In that case does it make any difference if I want to buy a car - say a new Renault - if I configure and purchase the car on www.renault.pt vs using an online dealer like www.entrepostoauto.pt or going to a physical Renault dealership?

The only reason for me to go to a dealer in my particular case would be the fact that I cannot find the exact configuration and model I want (E-Tech Evolution) on the Renault website, while it is present on the dealer's website. Weird...

For us the requirement for a car was more important than the car features. In July 2022 an ordered vehicle would potentially arrive early 2023. We found accepting scarce availability on the lot was really our only option. Happy to say it is going well.

@Tim B20 Fortunately for us it's not the same. I've been living for the last 25 years without owning a car, and even now we don't urgently need one, so we can afford to wait whatever it takes provided we can get what we want.

But that doesn't answer the question of dealer vs online dealer vs manufacturer website... :)

You don't say where you are.

Personally I would have thought that if you have already decided on the exact make and model of car which you want, and on the specific bells and whistles which you want,  then your best bet would be to physically go to your nearest main dealer and establish a relationship with the persons there.

If you have found a good online price for exactly what you want you could have a print out of that for them and ask if they can match it.

But even if they can't, quite , do so, I would prefer a named and known individual to whom I could return if the car ever breaks down etc..   Headline price isn't everything.  And if you are not in a rush to acquire the vehicle then you have time to establish that relationship.

Just my two pence worth :  I have no particular expertise in car purchase.

@almirantereis

We're in Porto. Thank you, I will probably do that in the end.

I too don't have any experience with purchasing new cars in any country, My only other car purchased 30 years ago in Romania was second-hand, so it doesn't really count for experience.

Thanks again for the input.

You could go to dealer AND go to online site AND to manufacture site and do comparison of prices/service to find the most suitable for you/your situation and then choose which to proceed with. If Portugal then there's usually some variability depending on who and where you enquire, also next week it may also differ, supply n delivery date may be your biggest problem.

@LorieAnneC  Hi Lori, this is B Emerson.  I would really like to take advantage of the broker you mention, and thank you for responding to this post.  Would you please send me his/her contact info? 

Happy Holidays!  B

As you,  I wanted  to do the right things in Portugal and, 2 Years ago, I bought  a brand new car in Faro.  The vendor  advised me to get an insurance "assistencia em viagem (24h - Tdias/semana)/  Portugal e estrangeiro/ com reboque / "  for any purposes because I used to travel all over Europe.  Unfortunatly, my car crossed a narrow ditch overfloded  during a storm and  my hybrid-car stopped with its electronic survey asking for an emergency.  But, nothing to do with the French garages obeying a curfew due to Covid : during 4 hours, I unsuccessfuly called the Portuguese insurance, I understood I was on my own and I informed  through numerous SMS + @mail  I was obliged to come back to Portugal ans I needed help : but nothing happened.  As for a conclusion, on 2021-May 14th,   I got the Insurance letter with "....tomar as medidas ao seu

alcance no sentido de evitar ou limitar as consequências do sinistro” and this bloody insurance didn't reimburse my brand new car.

So, if you can avoid  a Portuguese inurance,  maybe you  will be less poor as I was.

@LorieAnneC

Brokers info please

Thank you

Buying a car in Portugal sounds like an adventure! While I don't have firsthand experience with car shopping there, I bet the process has its own unique twists and turns compared to the US.

Buying a car in Portugal sounds like an adventure! While I don't have firsthand experience with car shopping there, I bet the process has its own unique twists and turns compared to the US.

-@phatchareebuapha99

I honestly don't understand the discussion. If you want to buy a new car (or a used one with dealer warranty) the just go to e.g. a Toyota (or whatever you want) dealer and see what they have for immediate purchase or order a custom made one, which required you to wait for delivery. It is really that easy.

No problem at all,  perhaps even easier then in other EU countries.

-@phatchareebuapha99

Why?

you should check out [link moderated]

Moderated by Bhavna 3 months ago
Reason : External link
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@LorieAnneC

Hi Lorie,

Yes I would be very interested in the broker you used, I'm moving to Algarve this year.

Kind regards,     Jim C.