Buying an electric car

Hi
We are moving to Portugal from UK and intend to buy a new small electric car either a vehicle id3 or Renault Zoe
We have heard they are a lot cheaper in Spain, does anyone have any knowledge?
Keith

It isn't just the price - The UK isn't in the EU so you might well find yourself with taxes and registration issues if you intend to import the car perminantly.

As for prices - That's a google job.

I was thinking of buying from a dealer in Huelva in Spain

Electric cars in Portugal

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 29#5286343
(Post #5)

I think you will find the import taxes from Spain may not make it feasible .
Pre-Brexit, if you owned a vehicle for at least a year, I think, then you have benefits of bringing it into Portugal tax-free by becoming resident/NHR within 6 months (from memory).
Not sure what the situation is now, but simply buying in Spain and bringing it across the border isn't a tax-free option, and car prices in Portugal have a premium on UK prices.
Thee is, of course, the left Vs right hand drive issue.

slugsurmamates wrote:

Thee is, of course, the left Vs right hand drive issue.

There goes a good point. Apart from difficulties when overtaking, UK insurance companies always ask if the vehicle is left hand drive.
If so, they are likely to either increase the premium or refuse to insure it.

Thanks
Doesn't seem worth the hassle especially as you need to have owned it for 6 months

The price in Spain might be cheaper, but then you have the issue of importing it may be added taxes etc... In the long run, it could be more expensive.

keithbryden55 wrote:

Renault Zoe

Have a prediction.
Over the next two years China will flood the European/UK market with good quality but cheap EVs. The same will apply to most of the rest of the world, that including the US of A.
Germany will try but they won't win, and the UK, France, and US will bleat a lot, but lose market percentage in the same way a drunk loses his footing in the snow.

If you don't believe me, look at Datsun entering the UK 50 or whatever years ago.

Yes, generally cars are cheaper in Spain. But if you are driving in Portugal you should have a portuguese plate.

@keithbryden55

Hi there,

I've researched this topic. I will soon be moving to Portugal from France and taking with me a new EV.

The good news is that EVs are totally exempt from ISV tax in Portugal and the annual road tax too! However, if the vehicle is less that 6 months old, the VAT (23%) is payable, even if you've already paid VAT in the original country. Furthermore, you need to prove that it has been in your posession for at least 6 months prior to arriving in Portugal.

You can in principle get a refund of the VAT from the original country...

If you want to buy a new EV outside of Portugal, you can buy it "for export" with a temporary registration without paying any VAT until you enter Portugal.

I hope tgis helps. Good luck.

@AdamCDenman your post is an awesome find as I am researching getting a EV via the manufacturer in China and shipping it to Azores.  Do you have any of the links from your research as I am struggling to find the rules for brand new cars, and the request to export without VAT from China looks promising. 23% VAT is fine with me. We will not be able to buy a left hand drive car to ship to Australia to own for 6 months etc etc so new and direct it will need to be.   We are using the returning resident exemption for my husband's motor bike! lol...