Cat FIP Pandemic Update?

Hi,

Anybody got an update on the Feline Coronavirus/FIP Pandemic situation?

Thanks,

Jim

@shotokan101

I believe there is now a drug approved by government available from vets  for the effective treatment of FIP. Extremely expensive though.. derived from human COVID treatments

For me i am extra careful as I look after a few ferals on our complex and regularly pet them and cover for absences of feeders of the local feral communities feeding and TRAP Neuter Release program ... but on return to my apartment hands are rigourously washed so as not to infect my.own cat of 12 years ....

To be fair FIP has been about for a long time and and am not convinced of the numbers spouted in the press as they vary so so much. Plus as a volunteer who daily  monitors messaging and emails Faceache pages and the Only TNR website for Only TNR I havent noticed a massive loss of life reported and certainly not in the feral communities we manage locally ..about 300-350 cats in our registered colonies.. and SM sure we would have heard about it in other areas such as Tala Monetary Cat Sanctuary who care for 800 cats. There are a number of individual independents who TNR and rescue in Paphos and Larnaca areas too and we've not heard of major losses being noted

Not saying it doesn't happen as it does but am wary of the numbers being spouted.

Thanks Toon - very interesting to hear that viewpoint - especially as it's "from the sharp end" as it were....

I did hear mention of the "treatment" when I asked this question over on AAP on FB

https://m.facebook.com/groups/askanythi … 398968427/

3k was the figure mentioned!!! 😱

Yes .. very expensive but I don't really see why as the treatments were said to be repurposed older unused stocks of the human COVID meds..

The Animal party has called for covid meds repurposed to treat feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) to be made available for free to volunteers and animal shelters.

The veterinary services on Wednesday detailed the procedure for getting the medicines after cabinet last week approved their use for cats.

The cost is €100 per pack of 40 tablets (€2.50 per tablet). It was explained that those caring for cats impacted by FIP must call their local state veterinary service in advance and the medicine will be handed over based on a prescription issued by their private vet.

“We ask that you immediately review this decision and reconsider the case of making these preparations available for FREE because it will be unfair to place the burden of this cost on volunteers who care for cats, and not only, in various colonies at their own expense and with many sacrifices,” the Animal party's statement read.

The state itself should undertake to mitigate this epidemic and not the volunteers who already shoulder most of the costs, the party argued.

The Animal party had called for and welcomed the repurposing of the meds. The move to proceed came after international, seemingly sensationalist, headlines that the island was full of dead cats which prompted the British Veterinary Association (BVA) to issue a warning over visitors' contacts with the island's cats.

Source Cyprus Mail August 2023   

The veterinary services on Wednesday detailed the procedure for getting cat-covid medicine, after cabinet last week approved the use of covid meds for humans to be repurposed for cats.

The move came after Cyprus gained international, seemingly sensationalist, headlines that the island was full of dead cats. That appears to have even prompted the British Veterinary Association (BVA) to issue a warning over travel to Cyprus.

It was explained that the medicine will be handed over to the veterinary services by the ministry of health, and their further distribution will be managed by each district's veterinary office.

Those caring for cats impacted by cat covid – or, more properly, feline infectious peritonitis (FIP) – must make appointments in advance by calling the contact details listed below.

Famagusta: 24 824 555, Larnaca: 24 821 275, Nicosia: 22 805 241, Limassol: 25 819 512, and Paphos: 26 821 261.

The medicine will be handed over to the applicant based on a prescription issued by their private vet who is overseeing the animal's care.

The quantity of medicine will then be obtained by the district's veterinary services office.

The announcement explained that the vet's prescription must include both the cat's caretaker's information and the animal's details.

That includes a lab test confirming the cat's illness with FIP, the relevant assessment from the vet, and a declaration of true intent.

Finally, the medicine will be handed over at a cost of €100 per pack of 40 tablets (€2.50 per tablet), depending on the necessary amount specified by the vet's prescription

Source Cyprus Mail August 2023

Sounds like a sensible approach - except for the charging at all of course.

Must admit that I'm at a loss to understand why or how a vet can attempt to justify anything like what's being quoted for private treatment....

It's just a money spinner ..vets are expensive here ..best to take out a pet plan insurance policy ...

I use the vet in Tala for my dog and they have been very good and do not charge much. Certainly cheaper than the UK. They also did an on the spot blood test with results while I waited.

I have not seen streets full of dead cats so where are they all dropping dead?

@phildraper

Exactly

@Toon unfortunately not an economic option for older pets or with any preexisting conditions.

We always used petplan when our cats were younger but as soon as they hit about 6 years of age the premiums skyrocketed.....

Ours is 12.. brought him with us from Malta in 2014.... luckily all he has had is ringworm.. caught in a cattery we used last year... never again... we now only ever use a personal friend to stay at our home with him whilst we are away on short breaks.

Issued by our local vet

Attention Paphos cat owners!

As you may have heard, there has been a recent outbreak of Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) in Cyprus. FIP is a serious and often fatal disease caused by a coronavirus that affects cats. At Paphos Vets Animal Hospital, we prioritize the health and safety of our furry friends, and we want to keep you informed about this concerning situation.

What is FIP?

FIP is a complex disease that can be difficult to diagnose. It is caused by a mutation of the feline coronavirus, which is a common virus that most cats are exposed to at some point in their lives. However, only some of the cats who are infected with the coronavirus will develop FIP.

⚠️ Signs of FIP

The signs of FIP can vary depending on the form of the disease. However, some common signs include:

◾️ Weight loss

◾️ Lethargy

◾️ Fever

◾️ Inappetence

◾️ Imbalance

◾️ Vomiting

◾️ Diarrhea

◾️ Swollen abdomen

◾️ Eye problems

How to protect your cat

There is no way to completely protect your cat from FIP. However, there are some things you can do to reduce your cat's risk of developing the disease:

✅ Avoid contact with other cats who are sick.

✅ Wash your hands thoroughly after handling cats.

✅ Isolate any cats who are showing signs of illness.

✅ Neutering to avoid cat fights

If you are concerned that your cat may have FIP, please contact your veterinarian immediately.

We are here to help you and your cat through this difficult time. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.

☎️ 7000 7555

🌐 www.paphosvets.com

#PaphosVets #AnimalHospital #veterinarian #FIP #FelineInfectiousPeritonitis

Latest update

A fatal strain of cat Covid which has killed thousands of animals on the island has reached the UK, reports said on Sunday.

According to the Daily Mail, scientists said a cat taken to Britain from Cyprus was found to be infected with the virus.

The cat, which developed symptoms after testing positive, is undergoing further tests and treatment after being isolated by its owner.

The strain is a new hybrid strain of an existing feline coronavirus and a canine one, called F-CoV-23, and is otherwise known as feline infectious peritonitis (FIP).

The virus is estimated to have killed at least 8,000 cats in the first half of this year on the island, but has been reported to be as high as 300,000.

In August the use of human coronavirus medication was approved for cats.

A study of the British cat, published on open access website bioRxiv, warned there is a risk of the feline covid outbreak spreading.

FIP is common globally but was never a worry before this new strain.

The author of the study, Dr Christine Tait-Burkard, told The Telegraph that the new virus “appears to spread readily”.

There is no evidence that the new virus can infect humans or dogs.

Head of Cats PAWS Cyprus Dinos Ayiomamitishas estimated that a third of the cats living on the island have died as a result of the virus. Symptoms include fever, abdominal swelling, weakness and aggressiveness.

Source Cyprus Mail

😱😱😱😱

Scary stuff - @Toon - is this now being confirmed "on the front line" in Cyprus?

Jim

Just awaiting an update from our own TNR chairperson

Ours are due in February so will come in handy

Ours are due in February so will come in handy

-@Toon

What's due @Toon?

Must have had a senior moment there Jim. Or its.the.onset of old-timers disease....

Should have been posted on the white medical card renewal thread

@Toon

71sq8gX-R8L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_.jpg

I may need few of them

We have had only 2 cats out of 250 - 300 cats in our colonies who have died due to FIP .. both confirmed by testing at our vets.

That's why I dispute the numbers and further suspect some foul play at government level to control feral cat populations

@Toon

Don't we all..... 1f600.svg

Just awaiting an update from our own TNR chairperson

-@Toon

Any news yet @Toon ?

Jim

That update was as above

@Toon apologies - totally missed that previously - another "Senior Moment" I guess..... 1f60a.svg

Those senior moments creep up on everyone Jim

Little Ninja Barstewards!

My missus told me that old age was creeping up on her ..I laughed out loud . Then realised she was talking about me.

@Toon

Cheeky Mare!

You really need to have a word with her about that- of course that is if you can remember her name...... 😈

Who?

Do I know you? 🤔

Am I hearing voices

"go into the light Toon....."

It's dark maybe am on the wrong side

Anyway back to the FIP issue ... Only TNR havent had any cases  recently within our colonies...

@Toon

Good to know - thanks 👍

Jim

Just a quick update we found one of our local Feral with FIP and is being treated by a local vet for it and doing well.. paid for by a private individual who looks after this particular feline ..

Wow ...while searching through Facebook  I found this poem from one of our volunteers and it's so beautiful ...and even brought a tear....

To The Cats On My Feed Run

Oh, my feline friends are so sleek and divine

Your furry forms are a joy of mine

With eyes of green and coats of gold

You brighten up my life, young and old

Your playful pounces and purrs are so sweet

Bring laughter to my heart and feet

You chase away my worries and fears

And bring me peace through all my years

In your soft embrace, I find my rest

My weary soul, you gently bless

Your little noses and twitching ears

Make me smile and fill my tears

Oh, how I love your curious ways

As you stalk and hunt through endless days

With graceful leaps and nimble bounds

You rule this realm, my noble clowns

Your beauty is a work of art

You are a masterpiece that touches my heart

I am blessed to have you by my side

My loyal companions, my pride

So here's to you, my lovely cats

Forever in my thoughts and facts

May our bond continue right and true

Together forever, me and you

xxx

Peter Fisher you have such a talent

Made my day

Beautiful words and thoughts indeed - which I'll be nicking for some future use.... ❤️