Why “Expats Are So Racist?

Literally, I cannot fathom anyone would move to, or continue to live in a country they hate its inhabitants and their culture. Most expats on this site, as well as other travel blogs, love to loathe Turks; how we are too stupid to learn a second language, or how ugly we  - girls - are (rich coming from a Yank/Irish) or “not civilized because we don't like to talk to random people or appreciate when others try to chat with us when we're busy”.

What's even funny is these are largely coming from Brits and Americans, who famously speak multiple languages and have extremely pretty women, not the mention the friendliest people on this goddamn earth!

Honestly, I sympathize with people facing racism or harassment but if you actually want to live here, a basic understanding of language and a tiny bit of decency will go a long way.

I have to disagree strongly, me and my wife are Dutch and lived in many countries, now here in Turkey (Alanya). Racism we did not experience at all, we do not speak Turkish, but then again also not Hungarian. But we speak Dutch, Englisch, German and on top my wife speaks Russian (which helps quite a bit)

I hardly ever go out (health) so my wife goes herself, but no harrasment and racism. Turkey (where we live) is a very, very safe country. Of course there are some political challenges, but this has nothing to do with normal people.

Personally I love Turks (much more than English or French)

We try to visit local companies, run with Turkish people, butcher, hairdresser, wool-shop, restaurants, ...

@Feicha Feicha I am an expat from the USA and have lived in Turkey now for 2 years. I AM AFRAID YOUNG LADY YOU ARE TRAVELING AROUND WITH THE WRONG CROWDS. I have seen nothing like what you are describing. You are way off base making these kinds of claims. Smile a little bit instead of wearing that frown on your face and more good people will be attracted to you. I have many Turkish friends and foreign friends and everyone in my crowd of people is 100% respectful. You are spreading hate with these kind of texts. Spread a little love and you might see the world in a different light. Feel sorry for you that you are the type of person to attract the kind of people you have described. Grow up and change your additude.

@dncole4156 Since my observations came from forums (like this one), numerous travel blogs, and well-known websites like Reddit, my attitude or whether I'm grinning or not couldn't possibly be an issue. Simply put, I haven't engaged with those readers or commenters, let alone had my face come into their view. I doubt anyone would say these things to the faces of the locals since anonymity, while not all the time, protects them from being exposed to the public, allowing for more honest and less "politically correct" speech online.

But since you're blaming actual victims, let's leave it there, it's gross….

@feicha

Please gives examples with links that show racism on this site

@cdw057 I actually meant racism by expats, but the opposite also exists and I'm glad you never faced any major problem. Though I must admit after reading dozens of people's experiences in Turkey, quite a lot of Dutch (and a few American, but the emphasis on few) stated Turkey isn't really safe (especially compared to the Netherlands), and being “White” would cause issues.

Literally, I cannot fathom anyone would move to, or continue to live in a country they hate its inhabitants and their culture. Most expats on this site, as well as other travel blogs, love to loathe Turks; how we are too stupid to learn a second language, or how ugly we - girls - are (rich coming from a Yank/Irish) or “not civilized because we don't like to talk to random people or appreciate when others try to chat with us when we're busy”.

-@Feicha

Sounds a lot like you're saying expats are racist.

The thing that gave it away is where you said expats are to blame.

Examples with links from this site, please

@Fred Sorry Fred, are you actually telling me that “expats” who write racist remarks are the victims? Who should we blame? Us?

@Fred Sorry Fred, are you actually telling me that “expats” who write racist remarks are the victims? Who should we blame? Us?
-@Feicha
@dncole4156 Since my observations came from forums (like this one),

Examples from this site, please

Racism is a lot silly and is not acceptable on this site, so examples would be helpful in order to get rid of any issues.

Sounds a lot like you're saying expats are racist.
The thing that gave it away is where you said expats are to blame.

-@Fred

Victim blaming is both gross and stupid. And no, I didn't mean all the “expats” are like that.

@Fred Perhaps the moderation should do its job? I neither have an archive nor the time to deal with this (don't forget that not all of us are old or retirees). But perhaps lax moderation is good, “free speech” after all (and the American kind of free speech).

@Feicha

Sorry to say but you cast the first stone in this topic and you seem to now defer from providing any evidence of expat racism. Your proclamation that expats are racist is painted with a broad brush and there isn't any ounce of truth to it. There may be examples of people you could pin as racist towards your fellow countrymen but they are outliers. Generally speaking, countries from the west, are ignorant of what Turkey has to offer and only disparage Turkey because it is predominantly Muslim.

For those people knowledgeable of Turkey, the 3 things always cited are its people, the food and beauty/history of the country. The people are known to be hospitable and warm.

A good friend of mine from college visited Turkey last year and spoke endlessly about how much he loved the people and how comfortable he felt amongst them.

If you want great examples of racism, try coming to the USA. I live in the city where George Floyd was murdered. As an American with Turkish heritage, I have endured many instances of discrimination/racism. There are many negative traits to living in the USA therefore, in my retirement, in roughly 2 years awaiting my son's graduation from college, I am itching to make my move into the beautiful world of Turkey.

hello everyone,

Indeed moderation will act. I am afraid that this thread has been opened only for the purpose of flaming. Links have been asked to racist comments posted on the forum, but none has been provided ...

I am closing this thread for multiple reasons :

1) Rudeness of the OP

2) Generalisation

3) Biased comments

I think we all have more important things to do than to indulge in such sterile argument with the OP. It's been years members have devoted their time to help one another on the forum. We'll keep on helping each other instead of wasting our time with so much negativity.

All the best

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed