Drink spiking experiences?

Has anybody had problems in bars with their drinks being spiked, maybe by dishonest bartenders who want you to spend more or have other agendas?

As I am relatively new to the DR, I wanted to get an idea from more experienced members of how common the problem is here.

I have not experienced or seen it in 20 years here. 

Others will add their comments.

That's never happened to me or anyone I know here….

Been here 7 months and gone out by myself regularly.  Haven't encountered thank goodness

I have not experienced this or heard of it in 1-1/2 years.  Though I am not full time yet.

Never experienced that either here in La romana

Nope

I've been traveling to the Dominican Republic since 2018 and moved here this past year. In my experience, it is as safe here as in most places worldwide. Now with that being said, I would suggest that one shouldn't go into suspicious or suspect areas, which one can find anywhere, in any country. So take off the tourist attire, shed the superiority complex, and show respect for the Dominicans, ex-pats are guests in their county, and one will be just fine. That's my opinion and it's worked well for me thus far.

@ppauley  Very well said...100% agreed

Hello

I never heard of this myself but if you are alone, this is potentially trouble.  Personally I dont go out drinking alcohol much...here is a suggestion:   if you are going out for mostly drinks, and you are with a group (or not), you can buy and entire bottle of wine or whiskey or whatever you want and they bring it to the table and that would include mixers in the bottle too...then you pour it yourself.  This is one way to make sure you will be fine.  And of course bring the leftovers home.

Cheers!

@ppauley well said, very true

@Karin1 What if you don't want to buy a whole bottle and pour it?

What is to stop local staff from messing with the alcohol content? Maybe they won't spike it. Maybe they will just make savings.

They change prices all the time. For gringos especially, it's not the exception, it's the rule. So why wouldn't they also change alcohol content?

In other countries I would say: law enforcement, the desire for repeat business, maybe even some ethical considerations.

In the Dominican Republic, after much searching, I see none of those three things in evidence anywhere.

@emerald788  as I would tell my children, be careful with drinking at bars regardless of where you are.  I would be more careful there because I have seen many bad things happening. don't buy any drinks on the street or anything that is homemade..... this can be deadly. Be safe out there!

It's not uncommon to top off a bottle w/cheap liquor, when they're charging you 200 pesos for Johnny walker blue….or something similar what do you really expect…. Most times the bar tender doesn't even know , he/or she are just selling you what the manager/owner gives them…drink beer in a bottle

When I am there, I just buy my own at a store and enjoy it at  home, to share with friends, or go to a good hotel bar/restaurant.  Both options are safe.

18 years and I've never had a problem...Never heard of anyone else either.