Stopped from Returning to Brazil!

I am usually a very positive person, however even I know that your worst fears can come true. This is that story.

I am in the process of getting my Permanent Visa by Spouse. My wife handled the processing of the Brazilian Marriage Certificate. I was in charge of the FBI Background Check so that we could both go to the Federal Police before the 90 days were up. We started the processing of the Brazilian Marriage Certificate then I flew to Miami for the fingerprinting etc. I returned with the "FBI says Roddie's not a criminal" PDF.

When I got to the Passport window in Sao Paulo airport, there were a few questions and a delay. I was not surprised and explained that I left Brazil to get the documents for a meeting with the Federal Police. In the first half hour I thought there was some misunderstanding, and the agent was gone for a long time. I thought it would be all resolved when she returned. When she came back it was an hour or so and involved several people. All asking for various documents etc. I had 2 days left on my Visa and they did not want to admit me for just two days.

Fortunatrely our original game plan was for my wife and I to go to the Federal Police as soon as I returned, but it seemed too taxing to fly for two days and then meet, so my flight was booked to Jericocoara, close to my house. I would rest and then we would meet. Because it was a last-minute change, I had EVERYTHING with me. ALL the documents you could ask for. At the Passport office I was able to provide our Marriage Certificate and Brazilian Marriage processing, my completed FBI Background check, passport and more. I was surprised this still did not satisfy them. Everything they asked for I had. Finally, I conference called with my Brazilian Wife and she told them I was in the middle of a permanent residency. I had my own house and A Brazilian Car in my name. Now they wanted a photo of my wife's passport. My wife sent a photo of her passport, my Brazilian mother's passport and residency bills etc. The last thing they asked for was my daughter's passport (she has an American and Brazilian Passport) and fortunately was here in Brazil visiting us.

This was an overwhelming amount of documents / evidence. On top of that I had my ticket for Jericoacoara leaving in 30 minutes. I think that may have helped. Don't know what finally tipped the Scales, but they finally allowed me to come into Brazil.

Needless to say, I was very, very scared. Everyone I knew was already here I had no one to go to if I had to stay in the USA. They then hurried me to catch my flight, however I was able to recover quickly. One thing I have learned from being here is ALWAYS keep your eye on your documents. They will ask for this or that, but make sure you get it back. It is very easy to lose your passport, Wedding Certificate, FBI Background Check in the process. I stopped them long enough to make sure I had it all. I did start to rush out and then realized I had left my very expensive Dell laptop behind. I went back and got it.

SILVER LINING - So I have to end on a positive note. Obviously, I missed my connecting flight. The next flight to Jeri was the next day. Latam put me up in a hotel, paid for transportation from the airport to the hotel and back again. Paid for Lunch, Dinner and Breakfast and even provided chocolates for the bet. Obviously a big Latam fan, but I have decided not to return to the United States in June to retrieve my belongings. It will be costly $75 a month for storage, but until I am a Permanent Resident. I am posting this from A Casa Azul, my house in Parazinho. I am not leaving Brazil for at least a year.

Roddie In Retirement1f575.svg

Not withstanding immigration issues,I learned decades ago,in brazil,easy things r impossible, impossible things r easy

@roddiesho Glad it worked out for you. I tell everyone that Brazil is a fascinating place but at any moment it will bite you on the a**.

04/09/23 @roddiesho.  Glad it worked out for you.   Welcome home!

they obviously wanted to play with you, train the young agent, and try to make you lose your temper...  unfortunately there are some people like that in airports.... worst is that you can not say anything, nor complain after... horrible...