Ikea kitchen cabinets ???

I have done a LOT of rehabs in the US and have had great luck with the Ikea kitchen cabinets (their better grade / not the lower entry price-point ones) -- BUT will they hold up to the moisture here in the DR?

I have under contract a couple of apartments and will be closing on them in the next few months and all of them will need a kitchen rehab - This is NOT new to me so want to locate a product that will hold up to the environment here.

I have seen SO many apartments and villas here where the cabinets have swelled up and are coming apart - they just didn't hold up to the humidity and moisture around a kitchen.

Has anyone used those Ikea cabinets and can let me know how they hold up ?

or what other kitchen cabinets are better suited for this environment that would be at a price point for a rental unit?

thanks for the input

We had IKEA cabinets in a place we rented while our house was being built. They were crap, but from what I know about the owners of the home, they bought the cheapest options available! The hinges fell off one of the cabinet doors and we were able to fix it for a very short time, but the MDF was falling apart! We spent the last few months there will the door leaning against the wall!

We have MDF, but it's much higher quality than the IKEA cabinets we've seen (not sure exactly which products we've seen). Ours are Armony, an Italian company. I'm pleased with the products themselves but cannot recommend the local kitchen design company we ordered them through.

Remember that labor here is much less expensive than in the US. You might be able to find a local company that can make your cabinets for you at close to the same cost. Just be sure to see their previous work - not just pictures - and talk to former clients before hiring.

Open shelving is big here - most kitchens seem like they were designed for people making sandwiches and bowls of cereal, maybe scrambling an egg if they are feeling adventurous! A big part of the reason we built our house was to get the kind of kitchen we needed - big enough for two cooks and functional! If your apartments are going to be short-term rentals, remember that they don't need to be as functional. People will eat most of their meals out if they are there for a short vacation.

We have ours made by local carpenters. Much better quality. Solid wood, immune to bugs, fits each kitchen. Not expensive. MDF and soft wood will fail quickly here.

I am currently looking and getting estimate at Ikea. I am having issues finding anyone competent and everyone wants to redo the kitchen. Last outside contractor redid cabinets and lasted last than 2 years. I believe Ikea provides guarantee.

Most cabinets are made with treated pine.   They stand up fairly well. You can also get  much harder nicer woods at a much higher cost!  Mahogany for example is stunning but very expensive.

Ikea cabinets do NOT stand up over time unless they are in a humidity controlled environment. But the expensive ones will last  8 to 10 years.  I worked with a person who put cheap ones in his kitchen. Big mistake.  They absorbed too much moisture and it was showing within  18 months.

@Bigskydome

What area of the DR are your units. Probably could get more recommandations for alternative cabinet types and contractors in your area. I'm in Rio San Juan area and my cabinet contractor would not be of use to you if not in your area.

@Alfonso Ayala thanks for the input - my units are in Cap Cana and Cocotal - so all in the Punta Cana area

@ddmcghee thanks for the input - The open shelving could work in 1 of the units well - I will have to draw it out to get a better visualization - good idea (thinking outside the BOX lol)

@planner I was afraid they sucked in too much moisture as I know MFD products are like a sponge - then its just a short time before their in the burn pile. I will see if I can find local cabinet builders for the 1 unit and compare it to renovation every XXX years - thanks for the input