Cooking In Brazil

Time for a fun, stress free post.

• What is your favorite Brazilian dish?
  • Can you cook it, or do you have a favorite Brazilian restaurant that serves it.
  • What is your favorite Salgadinho (street food)?
  • What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)?

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

Roddie,

There are so many and even some I've yet to try!!!

I'll start with;

Fav dish: moqueca de peixe done in a clay pot: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moqueca

I cook it myself but have some friends in Bahia that do it much better. Requires a lot of coconut milk.

I'm not so big on most salgadinhos but a well made coxinha de galinha hits the spot. Also see my Fav dish 2.

Caipirinha from a strong clear cachaça is my fav alcoholic drink (about to wander over to the beach and have one) but maracujá (passion fruit) made right from the fruit is better (no alcohol).

Fav dish 2:

What I love , and is all of the above (dish, street and drink), is caldo de feijoada (just the liquid from the natl black beans dish... tripa assada (fried [pig] intestines and shots of good aguardente (usually from smaller local stills).

Not an every-day dish but great for those infrequent visits to the central market.

Looking for 1:

I'm trying to find "chouriço." Not the Portuguese sausage but rather the interior style dessert (doce) made from pig blood. I know that sounds bad but they say it is divine. The last producer of chouriço in my region died in 1990. It is a drawn out process thus fell out of practice.

Good thing it is time for lunch. Now I'm hungry!

mberigan

Not EXACTLY on topic, but I hate to start a new thread... it's kinda related...

Have you found graham crackers in Brazil?   Or can you suggest a good substitute?  I'm planning a country-western theme party for my upcoming birthday in June.  (I'm sure Roy and Dale regularly made s'mores around the campfire, didn't they?) 🤔  Thanks for your suggestions.  Happy Trails!

Moqueca has to be my favorite as well, but I don't know how to make it.  Tied for favorite are chicken hearts, although it's not necessarily a dish by itself (for most people 1f609.svg).  Favorite beverages are Caipirinha (I make mine with Stevia, and they come out very good), and for non-alcoholic, pineapple/mint juice, which I frequently find fresh made at local restaurants.  My all-day beverage is water with lime.  Limes are so inexpensive and fresh here I try to always add a whole or half squeezed lime to a glass of water.

Strogonoff de frango. My cooking skills are quite limited 😅, but my partner cook very well.

Favourite street food is Pastel. I usually order: Carne, Carne e queijo, Pizza

Drinks: Guaraná Sportivo. Caipirosca

@mberigan

"

Looking for 1:

I'm trying to find "chouriço." Not the Portuguese sausage but rather the interior style dessert (doce) made from pig blood. I know that sounds bad but they say it is divine. The last producer of chouriço in my region died in 1990. It is a drawn out process thus fell out of practice.

Good thing it is time for lunch. Now I'm hung

"

That's Morcela ( Reads Morsela ), for us Portuguese.  For others, it's Chourico ( Reeads Chourisso )