Lack of rental properties for lower income people

I am reading regularly about the lack of rental properties for lower income people in Portugal and lately I notice that the government is taking action. However, to me it seems that they only want to be seen doing something instead of really tackling the problem. I lived in Vienna for a long time and I know that the city of Vienna alone owns and manages about 220000 flats/apartments, over 5000 shops and almost 50000 parking spaces. I wonder what is holding back the cities of Portugal to simply start building new or renovating existing apartments and managing these in a way that low income people can find a home? What they currently do is just handing the problem to "somebody else" (e.g. owners of ALs).

However, to me it seems that they only want to be seen doing something instead of really tackling the problem.
-@nz7521137

I totally agree with you. I and the majority of the portuguese people, including those who gave an absolute majority to this party.

Most of the measures proposed by this government, apart from possibly being unconstitutional, are setting almost all sectors of society and the economy against them. I don't even know if many of these measures will come to be implemented. Austria is an excellent example of public housing. This Portuguese government, for at least 7 (!!) years, has done nothing about this problem and now wants the private sector to solve a problem that these politicians didn't want or didn't manage to solve in time ...

I lived in Vienna for a long time and I know that the city of Vienna alone owns and manages about 220000 flats/apartments, over 5000 shops and almost 50000 parking spaces.
-@nz7521137

Not everyone can get those flats and there is a long waiting list.

I lived in Vienna for a long time and I know that the city of Vienna alone owns and manages about 220000 flats/apartments, over 5000 shops and almost 50000 parking spaces.
-@nz7521137

Not everyone can get those flats and there is a long waiting list.
-@SimCityAT

Well, that is the whole point! One has to satisfy a number of criteria, one of which is an annual income limit, to get these flats. However, all the criteria are very transparent and published on a website (or in the offices of https://www.wienerwohnen.at.

@JohnnyPT then we all have to do the "right" thing is to ensure to give someone else a go next time around.

Lets hope that the elections will not be done on a hot summers day on on a football match day .. after all there would be "interference" on the most important things ( it seems) that effects the Portuguese citizens .. aka - going to the beach or getting ready to watch the match 1f601.svg.. over 45% abstention rate is atrocious ...

And the main problem in Portuguese houses is lack of heating system ! We are freezing in home

@JohnnyPT then we all have to do the "right" thing is to ensure to give someone else a go next time around.
Lets hope that the elections will not be done on a hot summers day on on a football match day .. after all there would be "interference" on the most important things ( it seems) that effects the Portuguese citizens .. aka - going to the beach or getting ready to watch the match 1f601.svg.. over 45% abstention rate is atrocious ...
-@couta c25

That is one of the problems of Western democracies.... there are those who exchange a right, which is a duty (!), for a ray of sunshine or a football match... I am not one of them....

Out of context: 1f60e.svg

By the way, in 2024 there are the European elections. Anyone expat who is an EU citizen can and should vote in Portugal.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/r … dex_en.htm

And the main problem in Portuguese houses is lack of heating system ! We are freezing in home
-@Negar Nasiri

So true, so true. But in most areas a few blankets and wearing the right cloths will help survive the winter. Sad as it is.

@nz7521137 totally agree! Such government actions even more destroys economy.

You are not really comparing like with like,  (from Wikipedia) average gross income Austria €4,104 where as average gross income Portugal €1,679.  If your government takes (a random number) 50% of your income to run services the having over twice the money to spend means being able to finance a lot more.  If a persons housing costs are related to income the houses in Austria are built to a higher stranded at a higher cost.

In Portugal it is not a sin to be poor.