Fruit & vegetable stands, farmer's markets

On Pico island in the Azores I don't see any fruit & vegetable stands and farmer's markets. That is a surprise, because I always took farmer's markets and even roadside fruit & vegetable stands for granted. Be it a rich or a poor country I always found those. Not in the Azores. I would like to know why and are there any in the continental Portugal? I understand that most people in the Azores are rather poor and that most of them probably grow their own variety of vegetables, but why don't they sell the excess or make a small living from fruit stands and the essential Farmer's Markets? Really strange I find none of those on Pico. At least I haven't found one yet and if there are some, they are really well hidden from public eye.

Post Scriptum: Actually we get a daily fish truck (very noisy indeed) and they sometimes have a watermelon truck drive by making a huge noise as well, so I wasn't 100% right, but how about bananas? There are plenty of banana plantations in the people's backyards, way too much for them to consume. What happens to all the excess bananas? Are they brought to the handful supermarkets to sell at exorbitant prices? I would love to buy my daily bananas somewhere from a nearby fruit stand or even a street seller, but to no avail. I know what happens to the excess oranges (although just about once a year, which is not enough) and lemons, cause I have neighbours bring me bags sometimes, where I try to bring them also something interested in exchange. Now I have planted my own banana, orange and lemon trees, but I realised how much disease they get and how hard to keep them from declining. So far bananas are not too hard to grow and the tomatoes as well. Perhaps I will make a fruit stand on the main road in the future. Hopefully at least the tourists will buy some. If not, it will just be free-for-all the excess fruit and veg. One of those Take One It's Free.